hip pain from running?

Options
I have been running 3-4 miles 4-5 days per week. I am used to knee/ankle/shin pain. I know its bad but i love running. The last couple days I have been having hip pain. Its not really painful, but i feel discomfort. Does anyone know why this happens?

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Are you resting in between days - I have had to to keep my hips from killing me. Not sure what does it besides the "jarring" but rest in between is what worked for me. I will usually strength, walk or elliptical on the "rest" day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, hip flexors, they can become tight from running. Google hip flexor streches, it's relatively easy to stretch them out before and after running. A big key is, when you start to feel it, stop, do a minute or two of stretching, and slowly try to go back up to the level you were at. If it persists, give yourself a few days without running. If it STILL persists, look into form and footware, if all else fails, have it checked, but I doubt it will come to that for you. In very rare cases this can be a sign of a arterial condition that restricts blood flow, but that's very rare.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to stretch that part of your body a lil more.
  • Hayley1
    Hayley1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started having this problem to. I am used to knee pain, shin splints, etc... but have never had this before. I find going up and down the stairs are the worst. Today I just went on the elliptical and bike instead of running, and that felt better. I LOVE running to and hope to get this fixed up. Let me know if you find out how to prevent it from getting worse or recuring. :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Is it on the outer side of your hip? Does it run down to your knee?? Could be your IT band. Google it and see if that is the pain that you are having. I had a severe case of it after running a marathon. There are good stretches that can help!
  • aphall01
    aphall01 Posts: 26
    Options
    My hips knock out of alignment when I run.... I work at a gym, so one of the Physical Therapists showed me some isolation exercises to do to alleviate it. You'll know if it happens, because it actually trails up your spine- and you'll feel low back pain rather than hip pain. I agree about stretching your IT band. It connects from the outside of the hip to the inside of the knee. Foam rollers are very helpful for myofascial release there. HTH!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    But with most IT Band problems the pain is usually more than just the hip, it usually travels all the way down the outside of the leg, behind the knee as well, doesn't it? At least that's what I've read about it. If the hip pain is isolated to the hip, from what I've read and experienced, it's usually hip flexor, which can be usually remedied by simply doing some basic bent knee horizontal hip twists while lying on your back.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    yep, hip flexors, they can become tight from running. Google hip flexor streches, it's relatively easy to stretch them out before and after running. A big key is, when you start to feel it, stop, do a minute or two of stretching, and slowly try to go back up to the level you were at. I

Relatively simple, perhaps.

For those of us old, inflexible types, it definitely ain't EASY!! ;-)
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    But with most IT Band problems the pain is usually more than just the hip, it usually travels all the way down the outside of the leg, behind the knee as well, doesn't it? At least that's what I've read about it. If the hip pain is isolated to the hip, from what I've read and experienced, it's usually hip flexor, which can be usually remedied by simply doing some basic bent knee horizontal hip twists while lying on your back.

Yep, the IT band takes out the whole thigh...for me at least! I did a pretty intense hill run today and didn't have time to stretch before taking DD to the dentist. I am paying now! :frown: Going to get out the foam roller and try to ease it out.

Monitor your hip pain. If it becomes consistently worse you should get it checked. Not to be an alarmist, but I have heard of more than one person getting a stress fracture in the hip and if that stress fracture becomes a full fracture....yikes! You don't want to go there!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Yep, usually by the time you have a bad case you feel it all the way from the hip to the knee. But had I known that was what I had (just tightness in the hips when it started for me) I could have prevented it from getting so severe. But yes, a lot of runners also have tight hip flexors also. Runners definitely need to be diligent about stretching, I learned the hard way! :grumble: