C25K

Options
So today I am starting Couch to 5K. I am very nervous since I am not a runner but I am excited for a positive change. I have heard that running will change my life and I am ready for a change! If anyone has an advice please share it with me. Thank You!!!!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track! I just finished week 7 yesterday - can't believe it's been that long. I have never been a runner, but wanted to add it to my fitness routine because it's something I can do almost anywhere, and just for the challenge. Yesterday I ran for 25 minutes straight (about 2.5 miles) - no way in the world I could have done that 7 weeks ago. :smile:

My advice - get good shoes, make sure you do some good stretching before and after each run, and stick to the program - it works!! Don't feel bad if you need to repeat a day or even a week, take your time. And slow jogging is still jogging! As you progress through the weeks to longer runs, go as slowly as you need to - it's not a race. Finishing the time at a slow pace is better than trying for speed and then having to walk part of your run time.

Have fun!
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started that back when I was recovering from surgery. It gets you off the couch, which is the most important part in my mind! Good luck on your journey.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! It seems like there are many hurdles (physical, mental, and emotional) to get over but I did my first day on C25k. I pushed my 2 year old daughter in her stroller while doing it and she was the best little cheerleader! She liked to go fast so she would say "Yea mommy go faster!".
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So today I am starting Couch to 5K. I am very nervous since I am not a runner but I am excited for a positive change. I have heard that running will change my life and I am ready for a change! If anyone has an advice please share it with me. Thank You!!!!!

Hey! I will be starting this tomorrow morning! I will add you as a friend :)

I am also not a runner, or fit in any sense of the word. It is my dream to be able to run for any period of time really, but my ultimate goal is to be able to run for over 30 minutes, and to like exercise. I don't even know if that is possible, but hell I'l give it a try!!
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Hey! I will be starting this tomorrow morning! I will add you as a friend :)

I am also not a runner, or fit in any sense of the word. It is my dream to be able to run for any period of time really, but my ultimate goal is to be able to run for over 30 minutes, and to like exercise. I don't even know if that is possible, but hell I'l give it a try!!
  • sg_02
    sg_02 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey i just started it last week, am on week1 day 2, put on ur fav music! its not that bad :) I never jogged in my life but i actually felt good at end of it :) I want to be able to run 30 mins thru! I job at a low speed though, @ or below 4.0 mph.
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started last week and did Week 1 day 3 today. Was also a little apprehensive at first too because I'm very large but the 2nd and third times were so much easier. Can't wait until I can run a 5k without stopping!

Give it a go, you won't regret it :)
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to start this but I am a bit self conscious about running in public. I know my butt jiggles ALOT enough that it bothers me when I try to jog. Do any of you know of any good workout clothes that help keep the jiggle to a minimum?
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k and abandoned it after week 4. Nope, didn't stop running, I switched to a 13week to 10k program. It progresses a bit more slowly, but the workouts are between 45-60 minutes. I've been running week 7 of that program now (4 min run 2 min walk) and just increasing my time & distance. Did 7.4km yesterday :)
    anyhow, I still recommend c25k, you can go up to 10k from that as well.
    I guess I just stumbled upon a bit of ambition :happy: oh, and I like that it has only 2 intervals that are repeated for each level, so it's a bit easier to program into RK.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    Thanks Roxie! I wasn't sure if it was possible to do it with all the extra weight I am carrying around but it was. Keep up your good work!
  • countryrayne
    Options
    Froeschli, good for you! I hope I will gain some of that ambition that you gained!
  • countryrayne
    Options
    _tiifyjo_, If I were you I wouldn't worry about jiggling. You are probably just being hard on yourself, I bet you are the only one who notices. I think most people look at a jogger and think "gosh, I need to start excersizing.":smile:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • michellegoljar
    Options
    I just started C25K today. I was really nervous as I never run and am large. My friend has been doing it for a week so I joined her on her session today and I surprised myself that this is something I can achieve. Im planning on doing 2 sessions a week on my own and one with a friend - the support really helps me

I felt great afterwards - give it a go x
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 tomorrow...I went solid for the first 3 weeks, but then got sick so I didnt get to do most of week 4. I decided to start fresh tomorrow and get on! It's been a bit of a struggle for me as I still have a significant amount of weight to lose, but I love that my psyche is changing so much. I still don't look at myself as a "runner", but every time I break through one of the 'long' runs, it gives me such a good confidence boost! I NEVER thought Id be able to run for even 5 mins straight, but I did! It's definitely been a good program for me so far...I actually ran (well ran & walked a LOT!) my first 5k last sunday! It was a big race in my hometown and I didn't want to wait another year lol! I wanted to quit SO badly, but just crossing that finish line, even with a super slow time gave me all the confidence in the world for keeping on with the program! My advice is DEFINITELY get some good shoes, maybe also some cool "running" stuff that gets you excited about it...I'm looking forward to buying this pink tank to run in while I'm on vacation next week lol! It's like additional motivation! Definitely stretch out and no matter how much it hurts just KEEP GOING! It's a mile at 7 mins or at 17 mins! It's still a step forward in the right direction. I've had to battle my own expectations, but what I'm finding out about running is that a lot of my blocks are mental. yeah I've had to stop for cramps or the like, but most of the time I stopped its because i didnt THINK I could do any more. When you get into the longer runs, try breaking them down into portions of runs you've already completed. Like when I moved on to 3 minute runs I looked at it like 2 1:30 runs, which I could do no problem. The 5 minute ones I've been breaking into 30 second segments...only 9 left, only 8 left, etc....instead of "OMG I STILL HAVE 4 MINS LEFT!!!!" I'm not sure if you're just using the paper version, but I have an app on my ipod (I use the Get Running app..it cost a couple of bucks, but it was defo a good investment!) and the lady on it is hilariously encouraging. So find a good app! Someone told me to register on the daily mile (dailymile.com), and while it's super intimidating when people post "ran 20 miles today!" it's cool to see my mileage building up as well. I would also recommend signing up for a 5k not too long after your projected end date. It'll give you a goal to push on to! And if anyone wants friends, I'd love some more people doing c25k so feel free to add me :)
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    All good advice, it is a case of being extra careful if larger (I did a knee tendon injury a decade ago when I was 19st after few months of building treadmill jogging into my regime).
    I'm on week 3 of c25k and enjoying it, though I may look at that 10K thing next
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im on week 1 day 2. Im so excited that i was able to run at 7.0 today. Then walk at 4.5. What an exciting start. This is my second time doing this. Last time i stopped on week 3. But this time im so ready. My big goal is to be able to run a 5k with out stopping.
    Im really hoping this will help me.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I have had the C25k printout sitting on my desk for a couple of weeks now, thinking to myself...someday. It's been years since I ran (like maybe 30?lol). I bought a treadmill about 2 1/2 weeks ago and made a desk for it and have been walking on it a lot while browsing, talking on the phone, tv, etc, going only at about 2.5 mph but at 7 percent inclines...yesterday I did 10 miles at 7 percent. But it is off and on during the day. Given that I'm 100 lbs overweight, my body has responded quickly (at first my joints and feet ached some, but no more). This certainly burns off a ton of calories and is building endurance, which I'm keen for since I like to go backpacking, but didn't feel as if it were really challenging my heart rate or lung capacity.

Anyway after reading the first part of this thread, I decided to go for it and I just completed the week 1 day 1 of the C25k. Wow. Can't believe I did it. I'm elated and embarrassed at the same time lol. I only went 4mph for the jogs and it was getting really tough at the end. I did do 4.3 on the last one though. I walked at 3.0. What is really cool is that before 3.0 seemed kind of fast for walking for me, and at the end it seemed comfortable. I have to go out of town this week, so I won't be able to stick completely to the schedule, but am going to do the best I can. Thanks for the thread and we can do it!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k and abandoned it after week 4. Nope, didn't stop running, I switched to a 13week to 10k program. It progresses a bit more slowly, but the workouts are between 45-60 minutes. I've been running week 7 of that program now (4 min run 2 min walk) and just increasing my time & distance. Did 7.4km yesterday :)
    anyhow, I still recommend c25k, you can go up to 10k from that as well.
    I guess I just stumbled upon a bit of ambition :happy: oh, and I like that it has only 2 intervals that are repeated for each level, so it's a bit easier to program into RK.

I've completed the C25K on a treadmill at the gym. What I did was to set the timer on the treadmill for 45 minutes and then repeating the run/walk intervals for that week's workout. At this point I have completed it (2 weeks ago) and can run 3 1/2 miles most days that I run. It is a wonderful program and it's amazing how well it works!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm on week seven, my advice is to take the rests the program recommends and STRETCHHHH!