Vacation Mentality

Options
I recently went on a trip out of town for 3 days. I packed healthy snacks instead of the usual chips, doritos, candy, cookies, etc. My friend ended up bringing the cookies and snacks, of which I ate some but not much with my fitness progress in mind. However, I made bad food choices while eating out that I normally do not make while I'm at home in my usual routines. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the vacation mentality pitfall of "I'm on vacation so I can splurge"? I feel like I have to catch up on 3 bad days of eating when i was doing sooo good before my trip :noway:

Replies

• baughana
    baughana Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the same problem. Vacations are always difficult. You just have to get back on track and make jood decisions going forward. My biggest issue right now is trying to incorporate exercise into my schedule. I really want to exercise but i'm being very lazy and choosing not to. :cry:
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    when you figure out how to do that let me know! My biggest problem is social eating. I love snacking while i'm socializing. At least it was only three days, you didn't undo everything. Your back on the wagon and if this is a lifestyle change, it sounds like you did a really good job. Hope you enjoyed your vacay and dinners out
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm very worried about this as we leave on Sunday for a cruise. I am planning to just eat smaller portions and try to stay with salads and grilled or baked food. I don't want to mess up all that I have accomplished thus far, but I am not going to deprive myself either, because I know exactly what I need to do to get the pounds back off.

Memaw
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Baughana: I have the same problem and have decided to wake up early and exercise first thing in the morning. It's great! You get the exercise out of the way and you set the healthy tone for the rest of your day.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ya let me know, I got such a hard time from people about just letting loose considering how hard I've worked and how much better I look. I wasn't going to cave but it happened I came back 8-9 pounds up (saturday) fortunately after going back to my routines and lots of water I am almost back to where I was before vaca! It totally freaked me out though, back to being anal ally about what goes into my body!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track by packing healthy snacks to replace the junky stuff.
    I think vacations should be a time to relax. If you make some choices that are better & try to incorporate as much exercise as possible, you'll still do better than you would have otherwise.
    :heart:
    Try the treats, just don't go overboard. Remember how hard you've worked.
    Every chance you get, go back to your exercise regime & healthier food choices.
    So - you might have one wild day, then go back immediately to "normal," for as many days as you can, then if another wild day hits, it's better in the long run than a whole free-for-all week.
    Does that make sense?
    Hang in there.
    Enjoy.
    :flowerforyou: