Treadmill MFP Calorie calculation discrepencies?

Options
I have a treadmill which reports that 50 minutes of walking at 4.0 MPH for a 250 lb man burns 675 calories. MFP says the same data generates a calorie loss of 472 calories! I know there will be subtle differences when considering different sources and different guidelines, but this seems extreme.

Any idea what the truth is?

Replies

• ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump. Any ideas or wisdom, here? Thanks.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Polz7 I found this site to be a lot more accurate :

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators

and I could not agree more ...

Hope this helps
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you had the incline cranked way up on the treadmill, the treadmill readout might be accurate. 4mph is a pretty brisk pace. But on no incline, I think MFP would be closer to accurate.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    That's why I love my HRM.....no guessing. :-)
  • ding30180
    Options
    Ha, Ha! Thanks for the link, but that's even worse! Only 377?? ;-((
  • ding30180
    Options
    HRM? Sorry, new here.
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually just count all of my cardio as 10cals/minute :) it works for me :)
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Polz7 I found this site to be a lot more accurate :

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators

and I could not agree more ...

Hope this helps
    Thanks for sharing this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Ditto. So much more accurate. MFP and the treadmill has no idea how fit you are. So 2 identical people of the same height and weight could burn different amount of cals as one may be much fitter than the other.

HRM Heart rate Monitor :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    HRM? Sorry, new here.

Heart rate monitor - I use mine to calculate calories burned during exercise.

They're definitely a worthwhile gadget, if you decide to buy one look for a model that has a chest strap - they tend to be more accurate.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Ditto. So much more accurate. MFP and the treadmill has no idea how fit you are. So 2 identical people of the same height and weight could burn different amount of cals as one may be much fitter than the other.

i also have to say this! best 50 i ever spent i just got the basic polar ft4 but i LOVE it!
  • whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a discrepancy too but it's the opposite. My treadmill or machine workout is generally LESS that what MFP gives me. I just fill in what the machine says and use MFPs calculations for curciut training or a walk around the neighborhood.
  • jennafluff
    Options
    A HRM is a Heart Rate moniter. I always use one - you strap it like abelt around your chest and if you have a fairly modern treadmill, it measures your heart rate and calculates calories burnt accordingly. Mine came with a watch that also tells you your heart rate and calories burnt so I can wear it when out walking, tramping, any kind of physical activity. I would definately recommend getting one. As to calories burnt - if you don't get a HRM then I would recommend going by MFP's calculation. Better safe than sorry!!! The treadmill at my gym tells me I burn 1000 calories in a 60 minutes session but if I wear my HRM it tells me I burn 750.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

i also have to say this! best 50 i ever spent i just got the basic polar ft4 but i LOVE it!

I have the FT4 also. It seems to be the model that isnt basic, but isnt a fancy expensive one. It does the job!! I got mine from Amazon.com, but worth shopping around,
  • misslissa121
    Options
    Depending on your level of fitness, weight, and actual heart rate while doing the exercise will alter the amount of calories burned. I suggest getting a heart rate monitor, and either they will have a calorie count on it, or you can easily take your HR and plug it into the many calculators either for running, or for calculating calories and using that number.

Calories Burned/HR Calculators
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I also have one for running on my blackberry playbook "Runner's Calculator" it was free.

I have the Isokinetics HRM watch w/ chest strap, works great and was only $25 on amazon. Works great, other than it doesn't like my carpet shampooers, not a big deal, just turn it back on for a quick reading during refils and emptying.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM as well, before it I would use the lowest of the 2 readings. I know it is disappointing :sad: . The reality of it is that unless u plan on eating back all your calories that you have burned, it's all in how u look at it.

Welcome and good luck in your journey here!!!!