Need to lose 30 pounds before August

Options
Hi:

I need some encouragement. I joined MFP last month. I have been able to lose 10 pounds since I joined.

A little background about me. I am 44 years old. I work full time in the Financial Services field. I have a wife of 19 years and two wonderful children ages 13 and 10.

I also have an avocation in a major college sport. Unfortunately because of my weight, I have been unable to advance in this avocation that I love. I need some motivation and this site hopefully will keep me motivated to get where I need to be.

If I can lose another 30 pounds before August, I will be able to get to where I need to be. If you read this, please give me some encouragement.

Thank you.

Replies

• ResetJen
    ResetJen Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it, mate you have a clear goal a firm timeline and the desire to get their, all you need to keep doing is making sensible food choices and taking the time to exercise.

Looking forward to your update posts especially the one in August 2012 :-)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey, feel free to add me.

I work in public accounting and also coach youth Sports in my free time.
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just stay motivated and positive. It takes alot of determination and focus. It's not a race its a marathon. It took time to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it. Myfitnesspal is a great start. Everyone here is encouraging. You will be fine. Feel free to add me. My name is Jwanguy.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Good luck but you will find that your body does not work "on demand". Give yourself at least 9-10 months.
  • bratty72
    bratty72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do it... take one day at a time! wake up every morning with a commitment to make great decisions for yourself! We are all here for you .. add me as a friend if you would like to! :) Have a wonderful day!
  • yuna2003
    yuna2003 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i'll join you, but i'll do 20 lbs by the end of august... i need the challange to keep me going. GOOD LUCK!
  • kdickey31
    kdickey31 Posts: 27
    Options
    If I counted correctly that means you have 20 weeks until the first week in August and if you set your goal at 2 pounds a week then you should be past your goal by then. I have now lost almost 30 pounds in just 12 weeks. I workout at least 5 times a week and stay very dedicated to my calories. It can be difficult but it is so worth it.

You can definitely do this as long as you want it and stay dedicated!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I know how you feel. I am 36 and I would like to lose 27lbs before the middle of July. I have been married for 12 years, have 3 kids 10, 9, and 4 and I'm a full time teacher. It can be hard when there's not a lot of time in your week. Maybe we can encourage each other along the way! Feel free to add me! Good Luck!!
  • yuna2003
    yuna2003 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I counted correctly that means you have 20 weeks until the first week in August and if you set your goal at 2 pounds a week then you should be past your goal by then. I have now lost almost 30 pounds in just 12 weeks. I workout at least 5 times a week and stay very dedicated to my calories. It can be difficult but it is so worth it.

You can definitely do this as long as you want it and stay dedicated!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Your so lucky! i exercise daily and stay under my calorie limit but all i have managed to do these past 3 weeks is stabilize my weight...(sigh)
  • heathermariesan
    Options
    I dont know you but I am very proud of you for already having lost 10lbs! Way to Go!!! Dont look at the big picture focus on the small one; and that is the healthy choices that you are making to change your life. Use your advocation and children as your everyday motivation to keep the weight loss going! You should be impressed with yourself every time that you make a healthy choice about food and exercise. Keep motivated and keep moving! August is still a ways away, just get through March. You will do this! You can do it! I hope that I have helped to keep you motivated you are more than welcome to add me as a friend if you would like! Good Luck and be positive!!
  • kdickey31
    kdickey31 Posts: 27
    Options

Your so lucky! i exercise daily and stay under my calorie limit but all i have managed to do these past 3 weeks is stabilize my weight...(sigh)

Do you eat your exercise calories back? I rarely do that and even though I've heard this is huge sin from plenty it is working wonderful for me, and I also concentrate on eating all of my protein!!! Other than that the only thing I can suggest is adding some weight training or getting and HRM to make sure your heart rate is actually in fat burning/cardio mode while you work out!! The weight will eventually go away..i know mine will slow down eventually I'm just cherishing this while I have it!! Keep going you will get there!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible. And I know my goals are a little more aggressive than that. I am shooting for 20 more by June 1st and 10-15 more by August 1st.

I am down 27 since January 1st. Hoping to hit 30 down by the end of this month.

I eat about 1600-1700 calories a day (this is fairly consistent. I eat back around 100-200 of my exercise calories back).
    I workout 3 days a week for about an hour. Each workout usually looks like 20-30 minutes of strength training either with free weighs in a circuit or the machines with 30-60 seconds rests between sets. The rest of the time is doing interval cardio. In addition, I probably walk around 5 miles a week for one reason or another. And get in another 40 minutes of ancillary strength training.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The doc wants me down to 250 by the end of July, that leaves me with 29 more pounds to lose by then.

I know I can do it and so can you!!! This site is amazing for information and support!!

Good luck and stay focused!!!
  • danielamariaxo
    Options
    You can add me! We can support each other!
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Small goals are best. 10 pounds is a great accomplishment. You should easily reach your goal by August.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    10lbs in one month is fantastic! It sounds like you know what you're doing so just keep on doing it. I'm sure you'll meet your goal. Good luck!
  • ebbtime
    ebbtime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    actually....20 wks X 2lbs per week is 40lbs. I figure if you lose 1.5lbs per week that should do it. Really....the healthy way is 1lb per week. I'm in the same boat......I'd lose 5lbs in a week if I thought I could & would still be healthy! LOL!