started running but gaining weight

Options
I started running this year. My friend is helping my train for my first 5k. My problem is that I've actually gained weight since I began running! I thought I was supposed to lose?! I have noticed that I eat more often, but I thought that was supposed to be good for my metabolism?

Help!!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Possibly water retention? It's very common when starting new exercise routines.

How much did you gain?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just read a great article on this the other day. Basically, long story short, exercise makes you hungry and you eat more - so you gain weight.

How long have you been running, that can make a difference too - as how far, how often, what's your heart rate - running is only as good as reducing calories to get into shape. It's cardio work but unless you are working hard at it, meaning a higher heart rate for longer periods, you probably aren't running enough to see the weight loss benefits.

ALso - when starting a new program weight gain is common. In women, it has to do with hormones, cortisol levels increasing and your body compensating, as well as water weight in muscles are that being used and developing, your body will retain fluids to repair your muscles.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    On the whole you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym (or wherever you do exercise)
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    On the whole you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym (or wherever you do exercise)

This!!
    You lose weight in the kitchen. Inches are lost in the gym!
  • Lezli99
    Lezli99 Posts: 3
    Options
    6 pounds
  • Lezli99
    Lezli99 Posts: 3
    Options
    sorry I didnt get more specific - gains 6 pounds so far....
    I've been running since January - from not being able to run a quarter of a mile, to running about 2.5 mi yessterday.
  • icarol71
    icarol71 Posts: 8
    Options
    you also need to keep in mind, if you are toning up and gaining more muscle mass than you had before the training that muscle is actually heavier than fat and could contribute to the weight gain as well.