Anyone lose without cardio?

Options
I am scheduled for ankle (ligament/tendon) reconstructive surgery on April 25th. Untl then (and after for a while) - no weight bearing exercise for me. And I can't ride the bike or do the elliptical because of the motion. Which rules out any cardio for me. I've been doing some upper body & ab work and today I did some leg work on the floor (raises, kickbacks, etc.). Any other suggestions? I lost a lot of weight on WW previously (over 100 pounds), have put quite a bit of it back on (about 50 pounds) and am panicked about having to lose without the cardio piece. HELP!

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any cardio.........aside from 6-8 min on leg day to loosen up my knees for squats. I lift weights 3-4 days a week for 30-45 min...........thats it.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose. It just mean have to 100% on top to your food intake. You must stay within your calorie goal. Good luck.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a heart condition so cardio is not really feasible for me either.

I do heavy weight training 3x per week.

The real key is to eat under your calorie goal.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You know...it occurred to me that you might want to try to rent a wheelchair and "jog" in that. I know that sounds weird, but that seems like something you can do without taxing your lower body at all. Find yourself a slight incline and practice going up it in the chair maybe. Just a thought, but it will definitely get your heart rate up.
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the exercises that you have been doing. And get inventive with your cardio! Although it will not be quite as intense as using your lower limbs for support and will not have the higher caloric expenditure, grab a chair, so light weights and some awesome music and do some crazy dancing on your buns instead of dancing your buns off. You can also shadow boxe to get out any stress related to your surgery. This will raise your heart rate and get the blood pumping. Do it with a friend or two and youcan have a great time with lots of creative moves and laughter.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of metal in my ankle and it makes things more...challenging, to say the least. So, I know how you feel. Off the top of my head...try, swimming, rowing, sex, and of course stuff like push-ups, dips maybe some crunches.

I hated it when I couldn't do stuff. I wasn't exercising back then but, I was still active.

Knowing now I would've been out on my cruches walking.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've been here just less than 2 wks. I have a chronic illness that makes it hard to just get put of bed. I have walked 2x and been on the elliptical 1x in that period and have lost weight.
  • han0115
    han0115 Posts: 8
    Options
    It is important but I have been resting for almost a week and still lost wieght. Cleaned my basement so got some exercise, but have to watch it as I am a heart patient. When I rest I don't eat very much. Getting back into swimming Monday though, it has really helped me for my health in all ways. Can't do much but try to keep moving and rest when ever tired.

My computer crashed so haven't been on here for a while trying to get it going again.

Bob
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm a wheelchair user and haven't run or walked for 7 years!.. never seen an elliptical machine!.. I use the wii and can play alot of games from sitting. Boxing and Tennis can give you a good workout (wii sports disc used to come with the console).. Just Dance series.. only tracks one arm, Exerbeat only tracks arms and has boxercise, karate, aerobics, latin dance (some on wii board here but later in game, you maybe be back on feet by the time you've unlocked them all!) good selection of pilates floor exercises to do on a mat. I do them all from sitting in chair except pilates floor ones.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Swimming sounds like it could work for you.

I've personally been doing strictly weight training and it hasn't been working, but as someone said, have to keep under you calorie goal.

You may want to try a modified HIIT program, eliminating any thing you cant do. Do a circuit of whatever compound movements you can do with your ankle.