NSV: One year of racing!

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
Last year about this time, I ran in my first race ever, a 4.5 mile run. I finished in 46:42 and was sooooo happy, because I walked part of it, but still finished at an average pace of 5.8 mph. I typically ran about 5.5 mph on the treadmill at the time, so that really shocked me... that even with walking, I had a faster overall pace.

This year, I ran that same race again. I'm still trying to get back to where I was before my stress fracture around Christmastime, and trying to balance pushing myself... and pushing myself so hard that I mess up my fibula again. So I'm a little disappointed that I had to walk some of this race, just like I had to do a year ago, BUT...

Last year, I ran with my brother and my niece, who kept me motivated. This year, I ran alone.

Last year, I ran the first mile in 9:17. This year, I hit the one mile mark in 8:04 and thought I was going a lot slower.

Last year, I finished 148 out of 154 runners. This year, I was 123 out of over 200 runners.

Last year, I finished in 46:42. This year I finished in 40:38... more than six minutes faster!

Untitled-1-1.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

So, on one hand, I'm kicking myself a little because I caved when that rotten little voice in my head told me to take a break and walk... but on the other hand... I still kicked Lorina 2011's butt! And my average pace with running and walking is about the same as my average pace when just running in a non-race environment.

Blog post with more photos and words and stuff: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/racing-and-that-damn-stupid-little-voice-228535

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you...you look so happy!!!! You Rock-period.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    you rock!!! AWESOME.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well done! Thats an amazing time with walking some of it :drinker:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Good for you.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Good for you! :) Your comments under your blog pic's cracked me up! hahaha
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • RadBarb
    RadBarb Posts: 19
    Options
    Job well done! You deserve a great big CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Devinsmama2309
    Options
    Congrats! You did amazing!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You are doing wonderful :) I hope to some day be as good as you!
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    WAY TO GO!! That is awesome!!

What a wonderful feeling!
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    That is killer Lorina!! :flowerforyou: Love the photo!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm still beating myself up more than I should over walking as much as I did. And I know it's a stupid, stupid thing to beat myself up over.... but I'm still my own worst critic.

I'm signed up for my next race in about two weeks. :smile:
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Awesome post and so motivating....just saw another race in 2 weeks?? Go for it!! I'm adding running in slowly and hope maybe I can do a little run in the fall.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!