300 cal vegetarian dinner needed

Options
20carrots
20carrots Posts: 279 Member
Hey! Just a challenge I thought I'd put out here...

I have 315 cals left today, had a migraine and do NOT think I'll be exercising, so I need a dinner that packs a mean punch at around 300 cals.

I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

And yes exercising MIGHT make me feel better but...:grumble:

Replies

• ldr624
    ldr624 Posts: 36
    Options
    What about veggie Kashi meal?
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    KASHI meals are the best! I keep quite a few on hand and at work. My favorites are the Veggie Tuscan Bake and the Black Bean Mango.

I usually douse mine in hot sauce...1, because I love hot sauce and 2, I've heard that spicey foods are more filling. That may/may not be true- but it works for me:)

If you don't feel like running out for Kashi- I recommend some black beans. I make this soup a lot:

2 cans of black beans drained
    1 1/2 cups of veggie stock
    1 cup chunky salsa
    Cumin to taste (I like to put a lot)

*Leave it as is, smash it, or even put through food processor.

Heat it up and serve by itself or top with a little bit of sourcream, green onion, hotsauce...
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater and have no idea what lacto ovo vegetarian means. Do you or do you not eat dairy and eggs? Anyway, here is an almost 300 calorie, quick and easy meal. Throw in a piece of bread and you should meet 300:

Angel Hair Pasta with Plum Tomatoes and Fresh Basil

Cook 6 oz of pasta, drain and set aside.
    In a large skillet, heat 1 TBLS olive oil. Add 1 clove minced garlic and saute about 30 seconds. Add 6 plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded. Cook, stirring until soft (5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil, 1/2 t. salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cook about 5 more minutes, until tomatoes are very soft. Pour over pasta, and toss with 2 tsp balsamic vinegar. Serve topped with 1.5 oz parmesan cheese.

Cal-268
    Fat 8g
    Chol 8mg
    Sodium 504mg
    Carbs 39
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 11g
    Calcium 170
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater and have no idea what lacto ovo vegetarian means. Do you or do you not eat dairy and eggs? Anyway, here is an almost 300 calorie, quick and easy meal. Throw in a piece of bread and you should meet 300:

Angel Hair Pasta with Plum Tomatoes and Fresh Basil

Cook 6 oz of pasta, drain and set aside.
    In a large skillet, heat 1 TBLS olive oil. Add 1 clove minced garlic and saute about 30 seconds. Add 6 plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded. Cook, stirring until soft (5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil, 1/2 t. salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cook about 5 more minutes, until tomatoes are very soft. Pour over pasta, and toss with 2 tsp balsamic vinegar. Serve topped with 1.5 oz parmesan cheese.

Cal-268
    Fat 8g
    Chol 8mg
    Sodium 504mg
    Carbs 39
    Fiber 3g
    Protein 11g
    Calcium 170
    I forgot to mention that this makes 4 servings. Nutrition info is for 1 serving!
  • Brenna
    Options
    That sounds delicious! It seems simple enough- I might have to try it:smile:

Lacto-Ovo: No meat- but eats eggs and dairy.
  • carissalynn82
    Options
    Thank God for Kashi and Garden Burger!
    My favorite low-cal meals:
    *Black Bean Chipotle Burger - Heat a Garden Burger Black Bean Chipotle Burger in a pan then melt a slice of fat free cheese over it. Serve on a lite bun and top with 100 calories worth of guacamole if you like (I do!). About 310 calories.
    *Kashi pizza. I've tried the Caribbean Carnival and the Mexicali Black Bean pizzas and both are great! All of the varieties I've looked at are under 300 calories for 1/3 of the pizza.
    *Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers - I found a great recipe on a kids website: http://kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/gluten/cd_vegetarian_stuffed_peppers.html
    I'd recommend adding some salt though. Since they're so low-cal I feel justified in eating one with sour cream:happy:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Egg white omelet with lots of veggies yum.
  • 20carrots
    Options
    thanks, everyone! Wow, lots of endorsements for Kashi. I remember way back I thought kashi was all vegetarian. Then I started seeing chicken, etc and stopped looking at them (I think even one dish that "looks" veg had gelatin or something in it).

I will have to give them a second look. But I think tonight's dinner is going to be a salad and some cottage cheese.
  • ldr624
    ldr624 Posts: 36
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I put Trappey's hot sauce on my Kashi meals too. I keep a bottle at work. LOL!
  • 20carrots
    Options
    how many servings is the black bean soup?
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    another vote here for Kashi. LOVE their stuff!!
  • Brenna
    Options
    how many servings is the black bean soup?

The entire batch of soup is around 650 calories with 8.5 grams of fat. The kicker here is that it has 42 grams of fiber!!

I would say there is 4 servings- my guess. Although, I can prob. eat half of a batch per time I make it.

It sounds too simple to be good, but I tell you it is really good! It is a staple of mine and make it frequently. I really suggest the spice- hot sauce, etc.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hubbs (vegan) swears by vegweb.com for his recipes.

We try to stay away from pre-prepared veggie dishes, mainly because they've gotten more sneaky lately. Adding gelatin, whey and other non-vegan friendly things. Easier being a veggie though, most of it won't be an issue.