What to do you guys think?

Options
Do you guys really think that if a person mows their yard with a push mower for 3 hours that they would burn around 1500 calories? That seems a bit much to me.

Replies

• jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast you are going...the weight of the mower...and the terrain. It shows here that walking...at 3.5 mph - essentially uphill...is over 500 calores per hour. If you are moving at a pretty good pace and pushing weight to boot - it's possible.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    those old fashioned bladed ones? I think so. I heard it is an intense workout.
    If you are talking about a gas or electric one... no... I don't think it would be that high...
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I use a gas mower, however, our yard is somewhat hard to mow because of the terrain. I'm think I burned 400ish.. maybe 500 calories?
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would try using a heart rate monitor with calorie feature. It will tell you how many calories burned!
  • OhLaceyOh
    OhLaceyOh Posts: 30
    Options
    i dont know aobut 1500 but if its 3 hours it could be anywhere between 500-700 but it depends on how ur doing it,
    thickness of grass, up hill? downhill? ect
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Sure its possible. You have 45 pounds left to lose? If you're pushing it at a good rate for 3 straight hours, thats only like 8.5 calories a minute.

Totally possible.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I would say it's definitely possible - with my self propelled I burn about 300 an hour by my HRM- so if you are pushing it - 500 an hour sounds reasonable!
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It can indeed. I do 3 hours uphill and partly down hill (what goes up must come down) but I burn over 1000 cals for under 3 hours. Its a great workout! :heart:
  • Nightdust
    Options
    Hmm something definitely to ponder about. I just want to make sure I eat my exercise calories but I think I will only eat an extra 400 or something.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I depends on age, sex and weight as well.

If you were a 300 pounder like me it would probably be close to 2000.

If you were some litttle old lady it maybe 1000
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    3 hours is a lot of mowing lol.
  • Nightdust
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah I have a pretty big yard and that was just half of it. I took a break between 1.5 hrs.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes-It's basically 3 hours of walking. That's when it would be nice to have a HRM. :happy: I'm going to invest in one.