not getting anywhere

Options
I started on MFP in January. I'm 5'8" and 161 lbs. The system has me at 1200 calories. I'm doing my best to stay at that level or alittle below. I've started taking Zumba classes 1 or 2 times a week and Pilates once a week. I'm really paying attention to the food choices I make (more protein, fresh foods, drinking more water). I have not lost any weight in 2 1/2 months. I'm very frustrated. I've talked to others on MFP and they say they're losing between 1/2 and 1 pound a week! What could I be doing wrong?

Replies

• johnderrilll
    Options
    are you being completely honest with your self? have you lost inches? have u tried walking for 30 minutes a day everyday? if not then start. what do you want to get down to?
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would like to just lose 10 lbs and be in the 150's.... I'm getting my thyroid levels checked to see if that could be a problem. I do walk about 30 minutes but only 1-2 times a week. Probably should increase that now that the weather is getting warmer. I don't think I've lost inches but I haven't checked. I do know my clothes still fit the same. Just alittle frustrated.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Are you underestimating your food calories? Are you overestimating your exercise calories? Do you weigh / measure your food? How do you track your fitness calories.

Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have noticed that a few people have to increase their calorie intake to lose weight and be consistent. So maybe your not eating enough!!
  • donna710
    Options
    I think am going to increase my calorie intake. No, I'm not eating my exercise calories, I'm just counting them as used. I feel I'm not doing something right??!! :-)
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that a few people have to increase their calorie intake to lose weight and be consistent. So maybe your not eating enough!!
    Agree. Try increases your calorie intake just a little. You probably are exercising more than you think and burning way more calories.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? When you exercise you must eat back those burned calories, or stall your weightloss. The older we get our metabolism slows down, so that, along with not giving your body enough fuel coud be the problem.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Well for one at 5'8 and 160 lbs you are only a bit overweight. You aren't going to shed a ton of weight really quickly. It just isn't going to happen. The people who are shedding a lb or more a week tend to also be the ones who are a lot more overweight. When I was 35 lbs overweight I was dropping 2-3 lbs a week in the beginning. Now that I'm near my goal the scale doesn't budge.

As others have pointed out, 1200 calories may not be enough calories for you. It's the first number most women reach for, and is also the big reason why many sabotage themselves unknowingly.

If you are undereating, you won't lose weight (I know this defies logic and common sense but its true). Your body will turn to muscle for energy, which is the last place you want your body pulling from.

Go into your settings and remove the 2 lbs a week goal. Up your calories a little to say 1400-1500. Keep doing your exercise, and look into some strength training to build muscle. Watch what you are eating and be honest with yourself. Even if you're only doing 1200 calories, if its 1200 calories from McDonalds I find that that makes a big difference (people will argue calories are calories, but when I eat at my level but crap food, I not only feel like crap, but my muscle content drops)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you only want to lose 10 pounds, your weekly goal should be set to a half pound a week. Eat that, plus most of your exercise calories. You should be netting more than 1200 calories. Eating so little, you're running the risk of burning up your lean muscle, which not only looks bad, but it slows your metabolism even further.

You may see a slight increase on the scale as your body gets used to more food. Don't freak out over it. Take a whole bunch of photos right now in a bathing suit, sports bra & shorts, whatever will show a lot of skin, from every angle, and compare photos in a month. Even if you're not seeing changes on the scale or in the mirror, you'll see them in the photos.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If you are set at only 1200, and not eating back your exercise calories, I'd say your body is not netting enough calories a day. Instead it is storing what you do comsume because it doesn't think it's getting enough fuel.

Also as stated above, you are not very overweight, it is going to come off MUCH slower than those who have 40, 70, or 100lbs to lose.
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It could be because you are at an ideal weight for your height.. I know I am 5'7" and I look very good at 175 (my goal weight), and my "ideal" weight health wise is 135 to 170, the taller you are, the more you can weigh and still look great, and I know from experience that it makes it hard to lose weight!! Hopefully you can make some progress soon :)
  • Tricia717
    Tricia717 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad Donna I am in the same boat as you. I stick to my diet and get no results. I excersice,eat right, I am diabetic so am at a disadvantage I suppose. But don't give up I know I won't. Hang in there. Have a great day :-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Most women 5'8" and moderately active (3-5 workouts a week) should be eating 2k a day.
    And netting it!

See my profile for details!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    It not only about calories. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Make sure your drinking enough water, taking suppliments like a daily multi, iron, calcium, Vit D,and add fiber suppliments. Get pleanty of rest and reduce the stress in your life. Increase your protien and decrease your fat and carbs. Ramp up or change your pattern of execise. Add some bursts of jogging and running to your walk. Try extra cardio or add weight training. Some of those at home exericise videos can be wonderful! Personally, Slim in 6 has done wonders for me in the past but there are less expensive 90 day type work out around. Also try changing the way you eat, if you skip breakfast start eating it. If you eat 5-6 mini meals try doing 3 big meals or vise versa, have a "cheat day" where you eat whatever you want one day a week or month, if you love your red meat switch to tofu or fish, if you eat tons of fruits switch for veges, etc. Your body can get used to the same fuel and the same exercises confusing it can shock you into losing weight. On another note, if you have only about 10 lbs to lose try The 17 day diet. It has worked wonders for some of my coworkers one who has lost nearly 100lbs and still does it. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you only want to lose 10 pounds, your weekly goal should be set to a half pound a week. Eat that, plus most of your exercise calories. You should be netting more than 1200 calories. Eating so little, you're running the risk of burning up your lean muscle, which not only looks bad, but it slows your metabolism even further.

You may see a slight increase on the scale as your body gets used to more food. Don't freak out over it. Take a whole bunch of photos right now in a bathing suit, sports bra & shorts, whatever will show a lot of skin, from every angle, and compare photos in a month. Even if you're not seeing changes on the scale or in the mirror, you'll see them in the photos.
    ^^^ Listen to this lady, for she is wise and has an uber-hot bod from eating all her exercise calories!
  • donna710
    Options
    thank you for all of your responses..... I'm going to change up a few things and see how it goes...