Can the scale lie?

Options
I don't own a scale at home, so i stepped on one at KMART the other day. It said my weight went from 193 to 162 in under a month. Could the scale be lying? Or was the scale used for my original weight the one that was wrong? Can I even lose that much weight in a month?

Any advice or help on the matter would really help! i'm so confused about it all!

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can only really compare if you used the same scales at the same time of day. Either could be out.
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    use the same scale, weigh at the same time of day :) the one at kmart probably needed to be reset to zero or something.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    if the 193 was taken at a dr.'s office it is more likely to be right ... the one at kmart was probably not calibrated ... therefore possibly not accurate. a 31 lb weight loss in a month is not happening unless you have a medical condition and in that case you need to make an appointment ASAP.
  • susie2894
    Options
    The scale definitely could have been wrong. I would have grabbed another scale and compared. But seriously its best to use the same scale all the time.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i stepped on a scale on at grocery store once and according to it I gained 13 pounds in since the morning, so i knew it was inaccurate. Don't always trust the scale, but def use the same one that way you can better track ur progress.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can't lose that much unless you are on The Biggest Loser. Every week I am amazed at how many calories they burn to get the results that they do from week to week.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can't lose that much unless you are on The Biggest Loser. Every week I am amazed at how many calories they burn to get the results that they do from week to week.

lol'd heartily
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    I lost 17 1/4 lbs my first week. Most of it was likely the water retained by sodium et al., and the crap (no pun intended) or sludge that I bet was in my bowels from the garbage and booze etc... My second week was 8 lbs. I am trying to slow the process down by I can't find anything healthy to eat that will add a lot of more calories. Like tonight, I splurged on 7 oz. of steak versus 3 oz. cuz I rode my bike 60 miles yesterday, and did yardwork and cut firewood all day today. To be honest though I feel fn great. And would I really want to eat 20.oz of steak or a loaf of bread because I'm dropping weight too fast? So... what do I do? Your scales were probably wrong... but I believe some people can drop a bunch of weight initially. That's my 2 cents.
  • i just stepped on ANOTHER scale.... this one said 188! :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Because so many are hung up on scale weight, I finally found this in my files and wanted to share.

Why Scales Lie by Renee Cloe, ACE Certified Personal Trainer (reprinted with permission: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/)

We’ve been told over and over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can’t resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can’t bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it’s readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

There's a lot more if you click the link above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i just stepped on ANOTHER scale.... this one said 188! :noway:

probably closer to the truth ... :o)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have access to 4 different scales...all say different..I only go by my home one....
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My theory is that there are evil gremlins in those scales that jump on and off them to screw with the numbers and therefore our heads.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    My theory is that there are evil gremlins in those scales that jump on and off them to screw with the numbers and therefore our heads.

^^^^^^lmfao this