Dr. Oz- Carb cycling

Options
On yesterday's show, Dr. Oz talked about using wight using the carb cycling method. Has anyone had great success with carb cycling? What counts as low and high carbs?

Replies

• dougpear
    dougpear Posts: 21
    Options
    I did it, works really well. From what I did on days you weight lift you eat a high number of carbs (250-300? depends a lot on the person) an on rest/cardio days you eat a lower amount (130-200, again depends on the person). Similar to calorie cycling or ZIg-Zaging. Also doesn't need to be on weight lifting days just works best that way. General over view. Hope it helps!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    interesting, i saw the same show and was wondering myself.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know more too!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz :angry:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Due to how the body processes food, I can't imagine wildly varying your carb intake to really be beneficial. Especially day to day, it all just evens out in the end anyways. It takes many days in a row of a carb deficiency before your body starts burning fat as a source of energy. Anyone who has done a very low carb diet can tell you how miserable this is and doubly worse if you try to exercise on top of it.

Dieting isn't complicated, eat right and throw in some exercise and you'll be healthy and gradually lose weight. Simple as that, no gimmicks.
  • brown0928
    brown0928 Posts: 49
    Options
    On high carb days should it still be "healthy" carbs or can you just eat any carbs???
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    On high carb days should it still be "healthy" carbs or can you just eat any carbs???

I eat whatever I want (Snickers, cheesecake, pizza, etc) every day :-)
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    makes me feel a little better about being over my carb goal today!! (so much fruit:love: )
  • brown0928
    brown0928 Posts: 49
    Options
    6000 calories???? Oh my, I was just thinking about eating an italian beef today for lunch and a salad for dinner to balance it out. I don't think I could live with myself after taking in 6,000 calories! LOL
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    low carb days are off days from the gym, i aim for like 50g of carbs. Gym days i aim for 600g of carbs.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling won't provide any benefits for most people.

However, it won't hurt either. If you like the idea of being able to eat like a pig once in a while (I know I do), have at it.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Due to how the body processes food, I can't imagine wildly varying your carb intake to really be beneficial. Especially day to day, it all just evens out in the end anyways. It takes many days in a row of a carb deficiency before your body starts burning fat as a source of energy. Anyone who has done a very low carb diet can tell you how miserable this is and doubly worse if you try to exercise on top of it.

Dieting isn't complicated, eat right and throw in some exercise and you'll be healthy and gradually lose weight. Simple as that, no gimmicks.

You coulnd't be mroe wrong
  • have688
    have688 Posts: 1
    Options
    I saw that episode & it totally makes sense.
    I found this video that might be useful as far as portions go. Hope it helps. Happy losing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmVBKksXq0
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You coulnd't be mroe wrong

I agree!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

You have a misunderstanding of how the body works. Only around 100gms of glycogen is stored in the liver. Muscle glycogen is specific to muscle. Once the liver glycogen is used, protein and fats, are converted into energy. Also, once the body adapts to low carb its not hard to sustain, given periodic refeed / carb ups.

You cannot discount what happens hormonally when different macros are eaten as each has different effects.
  • CindyBretta
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on carb cycling, but Dr. Oz seems to have become a showman to the point I don't take anything he says very seriously. Almost every week at the grocery store checkout, I see him on the cover of the women's magazine that promote fad diets and unrealistic claims for rapid weight loss. So I would not advise anyone to take Dr. Oz as a dependable authority.