strength training-increasing weight with each set?

Options
Hi, I'm new here. I've been following the C25K program and I've been doing a good job with that. I'm looking to add a strength training routine to my workouts. I'm looking to build my strength and look toned. I'm not always sure what machines I should be using at the gym or how many reps I should be doing.

A friend suggested that I should increase the weights with each set. Start off with a light weight but not too light and increase to a heavy weight that I can only do a few reps. For example my first set would be 20 reps at a 15lbs. Next would be 15 reps at 20lbs, 10 reps at 25lbs and 5 at 30lbs.

Is this a good plan?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    One of the most common ways to work out...go for it.
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    I hate that whole thing. For instance on the fly machine I go -

And all of these are of ten

130 - 1
    110 - 3
    90 - 3
    70 -1
    and I turn around and do
    70 - 2

I like to do the heavy set of weights first. I can't stand doing the light weights first.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Light-heavy is a common plan. So is heavy-light: Start with a weight you can lift 6 to 8 times, say 30 lbs., as in your example. Lift it until you can't do another rep with good form. Take 5 lbs. off the bar/weight stack and do another set to failure. Repeat for your desired number of sets--3 should be plenty. This method is supposed to completely exhaust the muscle, according to the weight training class I took in school.
  • acook104
    acook104 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me. I might do that as well :)