TDEE/BMR So confused

Options
Ok, so my TDEE according to the most recommended site http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html (using the mfp search function settings) is 2,978. My BMR according to mfp is 1,897 I am 27 years old, weigh 249 lbs, exercise 5 days/week for 60 mins doing walking, zumba or the elliptical trainer. How do I know what amount of calories to eat based off this info? If I eat my TDEE amount do I not eat back exercise calories or continue to eat them? (b/c my exercise was included in the number do I double eat them back?)

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I would just get your BMR and multiply it for sedentary, then add your exercise calories manually.

That's how I did it at least.
  • busymom50
    busymom50 Posts: 29
    Options
    I also set mine at sedentary then manually add exercise
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options
    Okay, thanks!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks!!!

TDEE = the caloric intake at which you do not gain or lose weight.

In theory and assuming no estimation errors (an unrealistic assumption but for purposes of discussion) If you were to eat at your TDEE (2900ish as you quoted above) your bodyweight wouldn't change.

I would either use MFP at it's intended settings and eat back your exercise calories (it should have you eating FAR less than your TDEE but then adding in exercise calories) or I would choose a static value below TDEE and eat at that value daily, without eating back exercise calories.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

In theory and assuming no estimation errors (an unrealistic assumption but for purposes of discussion) If you were to eat at your TDEE (2900ish as you quoted above) your bodyweight wouldn't change.

I would either use MFP at it's intended settings and eat back your exercise calories (it should have you eating FAR less than your TDEE but then adding in exercise calories) or I would choose a static value below TDEE and eat at that value daily, without eating back exercise calories.

I like Sidesteels second part about the static number.
    Choose 20% below TDEE.
    That way if you miss a workout due to RL happenings, you wont screw with leptin and other hormones too much because you ate too low.

Macros also play a huge role but the intended post was about TDEE/BMR.
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options

Choose 20% below TDEE.
    That way if you miss a workout due to RL happenings, you wont screw with leptin and other hormones too much because you ate too low.

okay that makes sense. I will do just that, thanks
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Choose 20% below TDEE.

Yep and yep.