Under Armour: Are they worth it?

Options
ONE03
ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
I'm cold all the time. I'm currently wearing 3 layers of clothing, and a blanket, but all these layers can be uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure being cold isn't a result of any other ailments, deficiencies, etc..., since I was tested recently. Just me adjusting to losing some fat. Drinking hot beverages or soups last me a couple mins. :sad:

So I'm thinking about Under Armour cold gear apparel. They're pricey, but are they worth it? Any other clothing alternatives?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There are cheaper versions of the exact same thing, but I'd still check in with a doctor to be sure first.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for specifically, are you looking for clothes for exercising outdoors? I have a pair of lined UA running pants that I wear during the winter. I've been able to get out in 30ish degree mornings and be fine. I wear a lululemon jacket to run in on cold mornings too. We're headed into spring now and I was able to run in shorts yesterday. Maybe you won't need cold weather clothes pretty soon.
  • andream80
    andream80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like Cuddle Duds. I got them on sale at Kohl's. Perfect to wear under my pants in my freezing office.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health conditions. My doctor said I'm just more sensitive to cold now, since I'm losing bodyfat. I'm looking for lightweight clothes that will keep me warm.

Thanks. I will look up cuddle duds, lol. Interesting name. I hope kohls has their no minimum free shipping going on.
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have one UA shirt- it is my favorite, def makes a difference because you'll only need one layer instead of 3!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Probably not, but I'm always trying to be one of the cool kids. And there's an outlet about 2 miles from my house.

Edit: and yeah, it gets cold when you get skinny
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Workout gear can be on the pricey side but it is a good investment. Me and the fiancee had to buy some more running shorts last week and we paid $125 for 4 pairs, and those were the ones on sale. Get what you pay for though.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I like cuddle dudz, super warm, super comfortable and thin so you can't even tell you are wearing them. I also have patagonia for under my winter jacket for snowshoeing etc.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The biggest benefit "technical" stuff like UA and similar products is that it keeps sweat away from your skin when it's really cold. I've had non technical fabrics freeze to my skin before but you won't feel it because you're already numb. I wouldn't spend the money on it unless you're going to be doing long duration (60 min +) physical activity outside in really cold temps.

For what you're looking for I would buy a less expensinve knock off brand, or something with fleece fabric.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Just get some thermal underwear. Cheaper and do the same thing! (From experience!)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think under armor is effective, but way over priced. There are off brands that do the same exact thing for less. I would check those out first.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can't help laughing. EVERYONE I've ever seen in under armor is so fit and everytime I try to imagine myself in one, I think of my rolls of fat squeezing out of the bottom, creases in all the wrong places LMAOOO like my shirt is trying to hug me to death!! *roaring with laughter*

sometimes it's good to be able to laugh at ones self..
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm cold all the time. I'm currently wearing 3 layers of clothing, and a blanket, but all these layers can be uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure being cold isn't a result of any other ailments, deficiencies, etc..., since I was tested recently. Just me adjusting to losing some fat. Drinking hot beverages or soups last me a couple mins. :sad:

So I'm thinking about Under Armour cold gear apparel. They're pricey, but are they worth it? Any other clothing alternatives?

i like them....try shopping the outlet...and its free shipping right now, no minimum order.:smile:
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/outlet
  • Firestone0904
    Options
    Under Armour is pricey, but I love it. I too am cold all the time. I wear a UA long sleeve high collar cold gear shirt to work everyday. My building averages about 67 degrees. I also have a heater on next to me. I still get a little cold, but nothing like I used to. It'll ultimately be your decision on what to buy, but I can say I'm a huge Under Armour fan :)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Try the 5.11 Tactical undergear, its not as pricey as UA but its very good. I have all their stuff lol.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Love the under armour my son's use to wear it all the time for football. I myself use it if I am out in the cold. love it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    yes. Their cold gear is awesome. I run at 430am in the snow, Under Armour is all I buy.
  • OngaFish
    OngaFish Posts: 5
    Options
    I have 2 Under Armour shirts I was given for Christmas they are a god sent for strenous low temperature activities espcially road cycling where you freeze going down hill and boil on the way up. That being said if you are looking to keep warm doing non strenous activities look else where.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My husband is a deputy and swears by his Under Armour long sleeve shirts to keep him warm if he's stuck directing traffic in the ice. He also has a pair of Cabela silk long john-type pants that he swears by (he hasn't tried the UA pants).

Too, I think he looks rather sexy in his "tights" with only his gun belt on over them! :love:
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!! I was not a believer until I spent my first $180 on an actual outfit (nike capris, brooks long sleeve tech shirt with thumb holes, head band for ears, and a pair of clearance shorts). I have quite a few marathon running friends and everyone said they started with the inexpensive stuff and then bought the quality stuff and NEVER returned. I went straight to the under armour, brooks, and more expensive nike stuff and am in love. I never thought running in 20 degrees could be done with just a pair of under armour pants and one long sleeved shirt and it was amazing. Lightweight, kept me dry (i'm a sweater lol) and totally worth every penny. I've only bought one winter outfit, one for 40 degrees and now with summer coming I'll go for a nice summer outfit for actual races. I made it through the last few months with just the 2 because sweat is minimal in those, you can wear more than once (sounds gross but everyone I know has done it... as in 5 or 6 of my running mates and it's weird they don't stink like regular clothes would!!!) Nike capri tights are my fave. I'm running a half marathon this weekend and plan on buying a new summer shirt for it. Plus when you have the proper gear and know you've spent the money it feels great to use it and justify what was spent. I'll never buy "cheap" again, i'd rather wait for a sale and buy something of better quality. I started with just 1 mile runs and bought the stuff back then, now i"m up to 13 miles and can honestly swear by the good stuff! Has made many a workout much better by eliminating weather conditions.
    Good Luck!! Stick with it and enjoy yourself :-)

SW 155.1
    GW and CW 112.0