Cardio...ugh

Options
Are there any good cardio alternatives to running, like jumping rope? I'm working on building up my endurance for running (I can barely run 2 minutes at a time, it's terrible) but it's really gotten me discouraged.
Is power walking an effective form of cardio? I'm considering trying that and progressively building up to running...

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I hated cardio with a passion before i found c25k, now I love it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into C25K (couch to 5K)? I'm not a runner, but I know a lot of people who want to run, and they use that program.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I hated cardio with a passion before i found c25k, now I love it!

Well see, there ya go! :smile:
  • cookiesrgood15
    cookiesrgood15 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i dunno but i have a major love/hate relationship with my elliptical. but i love my sis's tread climber! less impact and burns more calories!
  • denicka
    denicka Posts: 12
    Options
    I actually did look into it a while back and I was going to try it out tomorrow! It seems like a lot of people have had success with it so I'm praying that it'll help me get over my fear of cardio :)
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I did this. I used to hate to run and couldn't run for *kitten*.

I started cycling a lot... A LOT.... and doing the Elliptical at the gym. I worked on increasing my endurance and strengthening my heart and lungs through other means, THEN I started running again. World of difference. I am doing my first half marathon in one month!

Might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Jump roping is great, I burned a lot of body fat and improved my endurance doing it.

You can also try the elliptical machine if available, it's great for your core body strength but make sure you have good posture and intensity.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Are there any good cardio alternatives to running, like jumping rope? I'm working on building up my endurance for running (I can barely run 2 minutes at a time, it's terrible) but it's really gotten me discouraged.
    Is power walking an effective form of cardio? I'm considering trying that and progressively building up to running...

Im a runner I didn't like it at first but u don't have to run to start strengthening ur endurance, speed walking helped me I can now do 2 miles :) it still takes me 25 mins lol but I'm proud about my distance I speed walked and ran, so u can take breaks and catch ur breath. I also noticed I reach my "high" at a lil over a mile and my mind goes blank and I just go. It's quit amazing so I say just keep trying.
  • denicka
    denicka Posts: 12
    Options
    Awesome, thank you for your input! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    if you want to become a runner there are many safe and healthy ways to get there (C25K, Jeff Galloway run/walk intervals etc) but if you really don't want to run, or can't for physical reasons, there are lots of fun alternatives: swimming, walking, elliptical, "boot camp" type classes that involve body-weight resistance exercises, jumping rope, aerobics classes, spinning, stationary bike, hiking...

Edited because I forgot to add:

a year ago at this time I was struggling to run for more than 2 minutes at a time. This morning I ran 7 miles. If I can do it, trust me, anyone can :wink:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Nothing prepped me for running. I got on the treadmill as couldn't go a full minute at a piddling barely jogging pace.

I did the ellipitical for months instead. Interval setting at 4/9 resistances usually for about 40 min, then 20 min at resistance 6 going backwards. Occasionally doing the stationary bike at resistance 6-7, maintaining a 16-17 mph pace.

Got on the treadmill after months of that, and couldn't go a full minute at barely a jogging pace.

So I just started what turned out to be my own version of C25K. (I didn't know C25K even existed, this is just what I did) Basically I'd jog/run until I couldn't keep going, so I'd walk to catch my breath. Then I'd run until I couldn't keep going, then walk. Rinse, lather, repeat. Until eventually I started a) being able to run longer periods of time and b) knowing the difference between *needing* to stop running and just wanting too. Soon I was running solidly for 30 minutes, then 45, then 60, and then I started working on my pace to increase that.

I started the above around Feb of last year. Ran a 5-K fun run with a friend in September. Then found Hal Higdon's training plans, ran a 7-K in October, and a 10-K in November, getting personal bests in each race. Now, still using a Hal Higdon plan, I'm training for my first half marathon and my long run today was 12.5 miles, non-stop, sub-10 min per mile pace.

So I'd recommend either using the structure of the C25K, or just going out and doing your own version that works best for you, because I'm proof that you can go from not bein able run 4mph for a minute to half marathon. But the months and months I spent on the elliptical didn't do anything to get me to a better point in running, only actually running did it.

Have fun and good luck!