Running a 5K and 10K the same weekend?

Options
I jsut realized that two races I was planning on participating in this spring are on the same weekend. I thought they were a weekend apart. I have teams committed for both races, so I don't want to back out of either one. I don't think this will be an issue, as I don't run the entire time, but use a walk/run method without about 2/3 running. The Saturday race is a 10K and the Sunday race is a 5K. The 5K has some younger kids on our team and is just for fun.

I am just hoping that I can get some tips for recovery after the first race to make sure I am ready to run the second race. Any feedback would be really apprecaited. I am acutally looking forward to it. Since I am training for a half marathon in September, it will be good for me to put on some decent distance early in my training.

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    A hot shower and a good night's sleep. Sounds like a fun weekend!
  • DanStone
    DanStone Posts: 18
    Options
    The best thing which helped me with rugby recovery was after the 1st race have an ice/cold water bath, stay in there for 3mins and then have a hot shower or bath after. Then if you have any aches or pains after this heat for 10mins and then cold for the same time, this helps to get the blood moving in those aching body parts. Hope this helps :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Are they on the same day? Or just the same weekend, with a good night's sleep in between?
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Are they on the same day? Or just the same weekend, with a good night's sleep in between?

10K Saturday & 5K Sunday
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. But icing your feet and legs after the first race will do wonders. That's what athletes do. It is the fastest way to recover. Just get in the bathtub, run cold water, then add some ice.

The other great recovery exercise is swimming. A light easy 20 minute swim after your race would be a miracle cure. Swimming is better than stretching and icing. It actually works the lactic acid out of the muscles.

I would schedule two non-run days before your first race to be sure you start rested and fresh.

Keep in mind that though this is new to you, you will basically be running 30 or so minutes one day and 60 minutes the other day (unless you run as slow as I do). This is something that many runners do every week.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'd go for it. I often run on Friday and Saturday. The back to back runs don't seem to hurt me.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Ice anything that hurts afterwards, plan a good recovery meal with carbs & protein. Stretch gently while your muscles are still warm. I'm always surprised after races that you don't see more people stretching. I bring ice packs from the pharmacy to races -the kind that you squeeze and then they get cold. Instant ice when you need it.

I also like a good soak in epsom salts. And of course get to bed early and keep hydrated!

Good luck!
  • kellibecker
    Options
    I think that's great that your going to do this, if you run more than one day in a row in training it won't be a whole lot different, you push yourself more in a race than training, but I think you'll be fine. Remember stretch lots after, and keep hydrated, and a good nights rest before each race. Take it easy a few days before and eat lots of pasta:)
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun weekend!

The Critz/Tybee Island run here in Georgia offers 5 events and spaces them out so that you can do all five. 5K on Friday night. 10K early Saturday followed by the Half-Mary. Then a 2.8 mile beach run and a 1 mile fun run. All equals up to 26.2 miles.

Never done it myself, but it is on my to-do list!
  • tuckersrunner
    Options
    haha. Good for you! I am told pickle juice ( if you can stand to drink some) helps with recovery after a run...but my fav is a post run shower and giving myself a hard fast "rub down" over my legs and feet with the towel, and if I am feeling great lotion my legs and feet too. :) I have tried a foam roller to massage legs too- but that can actually feel more sore when you're not used to it.