Giving up or giving in?

Options
I've been inactive from this site for a while now. I don't mean to sound whinny but I’ve just but given up on this whole thing. though I’ve tried hard, I apparently haven't tried hard enough, yet my efforts seem like it's all I have in me that I could give. But, I’m willing to give it another go. may be I won't stop or can't stop trying, but I am tired of having no results; of always bumping back up, of smoking cigarettes to relieve my anxious pain. Yes, a picture perfect oxymoron; trying to live a life of health while steadily holding on to and intoxicating myself, as well as the earth with a cancer stick. This is not living. Feeling stifled, different and apart from everyone else and not n a good way. I can't live like this and if I give up I might as well stop living....God hasn't taken my life just yet and it's not mine to take. He gives me a new dawn everyday despite the depression so what does that say? So for this reason, I guess I have to keep on trucking....

Anyone ever felt this way?

~~not your typical cherry blossom~~

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    I felt that way, and took a break for a few months. (Bad plan, I gained 9 pounds past where my SW was.) Maybe give yourself a couple days to remember why you're doing this and that it's really, really best for you, and figure out what's making it seem like you're so outcast from everyone else.

If you need to talk to someone about it - message me! :) I'd be glad to help in any where I can.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you feel depressed to the point that it is affecting your ability to function from day to day, please see your GP. There are ways to control or overcome the feelings you are having if there is a medical basis for them.

Remember, too, that diet and lifestyle can have a great effect on mood and help to eliviate the symptoms of depression. I know it seems hard but please keep at it and there will be a light at the end of the tunnell!

Just remember that you are worth it. Believe it.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Why not take it a day at a time. If you pick one thing to stick to this week and log your food, it'll eventually happen for you. I completely relate to you, though I don't smoke. If I had to give up chocolate, I'd be stuck.

So, just for tomorrow, decide to log all of your food, the good, the bad the ugly. Do that for a week, then take a look at what you're doing. Don't judge yourself. Just decide to log the food. Then you can see patterns and decide what you need to focus on.

I think the hardest thing is trying to change too many things at once. It's easy to become down on yourself if you can't change all of your habits at once.

It's just easier to change one thing at a time. And, ask for help while you're doing it.

Personally, I need to lose another 70-100 lbs. I've lost 33, but over a long period (3 years, with 20 in the last year).

I feel the way you do sometimes, and I try to keep coming back, even just to login each day if I don't do anything else. I like reading the success stories and finding people who are facing the same challenges.

Hang in there!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    heya, im not exactly in the same situation but i feel at least some of your pain. im not curious as to why i havent seen results- ive been snacking horribly for the last month. i feel so embarassed because i sneak food and feel all the good habits i gained twenty pounds ago are gone... food controls me and i hate it. im not only worried about not progressing in my weight loss, but also gaining what i originally lost back.

dont give up! i know its hard... this i do understand beause every night before i go to sleep i tell myself tomorrow will be different... i'll keep my snacking under control and think positively. and everyday i do so good until like 10:00pm when i cant resist but join in with my fam when theyre eating chips and dip or birthday cake. but lets not give up! its just food. just food......
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It helps sometime to to tackle one change at a time and master it. I see you are quitting smoking, taking up running and revamping your eating habits! That's a lot.

Break things off into smaller chunks. And don't forget, it isn't only about weight loss. It is about improving your health too. Focus on that and the rest will come.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is not living. Feeling stifled, different and apart from everyone else and not n a good way. I can't live like this and if I give up I might as well stop living....God hasn't taken my life just yet and it's not mine to take. He gives me a new dawn everyday despite the depression so what does that say? So for this reason, I guess I have to keep on trucking....

Anyone ever felt this way?

Yep, a lot.

I've begrudgingly realized that I can only go forward unless I want to remain the same/get worse/go back so . . . I keep on trucking.

Doesn't stop me for having moments like today when I wished I wasn't alive. I don't want to kill myself precisely. I just don't want to live life. I don't like it. My life is pretty good. So yeah I'm a selfish whiny babe = depression.

I think that the approach to depression where you consider light therapy, vitamin deficiency, exercising and diet has a lot of merit.

So I'm not saying you should rule out medication. Just consider all options. Definitely talk with a doctor if you can afford it. Preferably an actual psychiatrist rather than a GP in my opinion. Just saying, doctors have specializations for a reason.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think I understand kind of how you feel. I gave up cigarettes about 10 years ago, and recently started again occasionally. But I've stopped again and hope it sticks this time.

But now my problem ( 2nd problem really lol) is alcohol. I can eat farely healthy most days. But I am having trouble giving up alcohol. I don't really see me ever giving it up completely, but I do need to reduce how much I drink. I think addiction is addiction, habit is habit. I also believe we can learn from other people.

I would love to have your support and support you if possible. I am sending a friend request if you want the support.

Good luck in your journey either way.
  • kpiwtorak
    kpiwtorak Posts: 12
    Options
    I felt this way while trying to lose weight over the last few years.

This year, I decided that I was sick and tired of feeling the way I was feeling and I dedicated myself to myself. I remind myself on almost a daily basis that I am worth the hard work. I am sick of being people's "fat friend" and I want to feel good about myself.

You are worth the work you invest in you. It takes 4 weeks to notice changes within yourself, it take 8 weeks for friends and family to notice, and it takes 12 weeks for the rest to notice. Give yourself 12 weeks.
  • aliciajnelson
    aliciajnelson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Often felt that way. That's why this site is here so that you will have the support system. I'll make sure to check in on you...sometimes that's all you need. I'll be praying for you because I know the "stuck" feeling all too well.

sometimes we want our hard weeks worth of work to pay off immediately...but its going to take time, dedication, and hard work. You can do it you are stronger than you think.
  • New_Bloom
    New_Bloom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks to, aliciajnelson, ktimmermans, marcenepea, JGCooper, jadedone, SnazzyTravell, cloud2011, Rayman79, and jessicaw1aine

Hey guys, thank you for all your kind words and general support. I am really happy to hear what all of you have said. I've definitely have thought about it and realized that I did forget why I was doing what I was doing, and in the process forgot that I was "worth" the effort. I don't to be a "cry baby" cause I'm tired of it and though I am not patient person, I will try to keep that timeline ktimmermans, suggested, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 12 weeks. I guess it just takes some time....