question about the pill

Options
haylz24
haylz24 Posts: 225
I have been on cerazette for almost 6 months now and finish the current pack this Sunday. Should I have a month break to have a period as this pill stopped them! Its been so nice haha

Is it safe to keep going? Im seeing a nurse today but just want real experiences I guess!

Replies

• GeorgieT23
    Options
    I was on it for years and never took a break. You don't need to its meant to stop periods happening. :-)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been on this for nearly 5 years with no break..it is supposed to stop your period and its not dangerous. Its a good side effect lol and there is no need to have a break...in fact if you have a break you will have to take precautions for that month and for a week when you start taking it again.

It can take time to get used to no periods but its great, you save lots of money lol

If you are concerned go back to nurse/dr who will explain in more detail

martyxxx
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a year, had a year's break and now back on it - When I got off it my periods took a few months to settle back into normal routine.

It's a very normal and common side effect on cerazette for your period to stop, so don't worry :)
  • haylz24
    Options
    I know it stops them but wanted to know if its safe to carry on without a break :) thanks
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have been on cerazette for almost 6 months now and finish the current pack this Sunday. Should I have a month break to have a period as this pill stopped them! Its been so nice haha

Is it safe to keep going? Im seeing a nurse today but just want real experiences I guess!

I'm on cerazette.

It doesn't leave a buildup in there. Cerazette does 2 things:

1. stops eggs ripening (reduces them ripening. do not rely on them not ripening! :D)
    2. stops blood from lining the uterus, so that should any fertile egg try to attach it will dieeee.

As such there's no blood to shed. I just go round and round the days. Been on it for a couple of years now, and it's FANTASTIC. :d I absolutely love not having a period but I think I continue to ovulate... ? - just don't know when.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I'm 27 and went on the pill when i was about 14 (due to my skin, it was the best thing to clear up acne!)

6months isn't very long to be on the pill, i recently changed the pill that i'm on and its taken my body 2 months to adjust

You don't need to have a break, if you do your body will need to adjust again, and you may get break through bleeding, painful periods etc
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    No, you are not supposed to take a break on cerazette!

So don't. :)
  • haylz24
    Options

I'm on cerazette.

1. stops eggs ripening (reduces them ripening. do not rely on them not ripening! :D)
    2. stops blood from lining the uterus, so that should any fertile egg try to attach it will dieeee.

As such there's no blood to shed. I just go round and round the days. Been on it for a couple of years now, and it's FANTASTIC. :d I absolutely love not having a period but I think I continue to ovulate... ? - just don't know when.

How do you know when you ovulate?

Glad it doesn't leave a build up! I don't want stuff gathering! Lol
  • DiamondEyes_x
    DiamondEyes_x Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and was always scared it'd build up until I asked my nurse haha, I still get signs of a period, like some backache and maybe a headache but no blood!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I'm on cerazette.

If you can be bothered, you lie in bed in the morning and take your temperature every day.

When you ovulate your temp goes up. So if you're normally 37, you'll go up to 37.5. :D Can you be bothered? I sure can't! Cerazette advertises itself as inhibiting ripening of eggs, which is not something all of the progesterone only pills do, it's one thing that sets cerazette apart.

Another thing that sets it apart is there's a 12 hr leeway for taking the pill before you're not covered and have to abstain for a week (or use other contraception), rather than the usual 2 hour leeway of other progesterone (progestogen? I forget) only pills.

For oestrogen/progesterone pills if you forget one pill, you are not safe until after your next period, which you still get. This is because they work by stopping ovulation.

But cerazette and other progesterone pills don't care about ovulation - they just make it so that when the egg gets there, it can't grab hold. You can ripen ten at once, you won't get pregnant because there's nothing to latch onto.

Doctors always want to see you every six months to a year when you're on any pill to make sure you're okay, for the first year or so to check that your uterus isn't swollen or anything, that your body is responding well to the pill without any problems.

They check blood pressure, they check heart rate... it's all just to make sure you're doing well. Once they're satisfied you don't have to see them every time your un out of the pill, just call up and ask for a repeat prescription. Costs far less, too. :)
  • haylz24
    Options

I'm on cerazette.

If you can be bothered, you lie in bed in the morning and take your temperature every day.

When you ovulate your temp goes up. So if you're normally 37, you'll go up to 37.5. :D Can you be bothered? I sure can't! Cerazette advertises itself as inhibiting ripening of eggs, which is not something all of the progesterone only pills do, it's one thing that sets cerazette apart.

Another thing that sets it apart is there's a 12 hr leeway for taking the pill before you're not covered and have to abstain for a week (or use other contraception), rather than the usual 2 hour leeway of other progesterone (progestogen? I forget) only pills.

For oestrogen/progesterone pills if you forget one pill, you are not safe until after your next period, which you still get. This is because they work by stopping ovulation.

But cerazette and other progesterone pills don't care about ovulation - they just make it so that when the egg gets there, it can't grab hold. You can ripen ten at once, you won't get pregnant because there's nothing to latch onto.

Doctors always want to see you every six months to a year when you're on any pill to make sure you're okay, for the first year or so to check that your uterus isn't swollen or anything, that your body is responding well to the pill without any problems.

They check blood pressure, they check heart rate... it's all just to make sure you're doing well. Once they're satisfied you don't have to see them every time your un out of the pill, just call up and ask for a repeat prescription. Costs far less, too. :)

Haha yeah seems annoying to do it everyday. But it may come in handy one day!

My doctor only gives me 3 months supply at a time. They don't even do checks :/ just click print on the computer! Dont know where you are from but I get it free (UK) should be free everywhere in my opinion
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    haha i wish the pill was free everywhere!

i used to live in the UK, but i live in Australia now and scripts aren't free, i paid $78 for my last lot of pills (for 3 months worth!) and i almost fell over when i saw the price, my previous pill was only about $20 for 3 months
  • haylz24
    Options
    haha i wish the pill was free everywhere!

i used to live in the UK, but i live in Australia now and scripts aren't free, i paid $78 for my last lot of pills (for 3 months worth!) and i almost fell over when i saw the price, my previous pill was only about $20 for 3 months

Omg! That's crazy!!! I'd never pay for it. I'd just never have sex haha
  • alisondunn566
    Options
    I ve been on cerazette for 12 years and have to order it now now im in Oz, found a website where it is 37gbp for a 3 month supply but I cant live without it. Got 2 years worth last time I was in England which will run out at the end of the year. I tried to get them posted if someone picks them up for me and sends off the height/weight details, hoping it works.
  • Misschihuahua
    Options
    Ahh same as - my 2 year supply is a week out and presumed I could just get in Oz... Wrong.

I've been taking it for 12 years too, please can you tell me where you found the online order for it? Did it come through ok, how quick?

Many thanks!