first 10km fun run - what time is good?

In 2 weeks I am going to do my first 10km fun run as I've had my arm twisted. I can run 5km comfortably in 36mins as I'm only starting out running in the last 5-6 weeks

What would be a good time to aim for the 10km that I can train to in the next couple of weeks?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I'm doing my first this week. My aim is just to get round. I guess anything under 75 min will make me happy.
  • I would forget about the time. Although its always nice to run a great time its even better to finish. I would focus on just increasing your distance for the time being. The time will take care of itself.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    I would forget about the time. Although its always nice to run a great time its even better to finish. I would focus on just increasing your distance for the time being. The time will take care of itself.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Just completing will be achievement enough for me!
  • I fully intend to finish it even if I have to walk/crawl over the line! Thanks anyway
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    1hr 20. Although thats double your 5k time endurance makes it hard to achieve

People then aim for sub 1hr. People i know have just hit that really are quite fit regular runners

Then your down to 30-40 min for the super fit crazy dudes

Also i know of a 10k that takes people by suprise because a lot of it is uphill. Check with people if there are any characteristics of the one you are doing
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    I agree with focusing on increasing your distance so that you know you'll be able to run your 10K and have a great time!
    However if you do want to work to a pace, I use this to look at different race times: http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp?metres=5000&hr=0&min=36&sec=00&age=25&gender=F&Submit=Calculate
    If you put your 5K time, age and gender in it will tell you roughly what time you will get for a 10K or other distance if you train for it.
    Good luck and enjoy it!
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    All the time that it takes to cross the finish line without stopping, that will leave you feeling proud and ready to run another 10kms! Just don't stop!

Having said that, I think anything under 60 minutes is a cracking pace (it'll qualify you as a 'runner' in those events that qualify people). The winner of the race will run between 36 - 38 minutes, depending on the course. Walking a fast pace will get you over the line in 90 minutes, so anywhere in between?

Good luck! Get some positive mantras. I like thinking of my lungs as bellows, my legs as pistons. That way my body is a machine that my mind observes. That and nothing lasts forever. You'll get there quicker if you run lol,.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I would forget about the time. Although its always nice to run a great time its even better to finish. I would focus on just increasing your distance for the time being. The time will take care of itself.

+ 1, for your first 10K the goal should be to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

But, just in case you want to look, here's a time calculator on RunnersWorld (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html) based on a 36 min 5K the predicted finish for a 10K was 75 min.

Listen to your body & have fun!
  • Thanks heaps. Taking the advice not to get so hung up on times. Will see how it goes