The dreaded scale....

Options
I know that weight can fluctuate a lot but I'm just wondering how often people put their weight on here? Weekly? Daily? Even if there is a gain or no loss, I'm wondering how often I should record my own weight. Any input is appreciated! And feel free to add me, I'm new!

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only weigh once a week. It hasn't happened yet, but I don't think I would record a gain (too depressing). Yesterday was the first weigh in day since I joined mfp that I did not have a loss. I didn't record it, but I mentioned it on my status. I think most people record their weight weekly or monthly. You just have to figure out what works best for you.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and note the little 100g fluctuations. i can tell what I have been doing by what the scale says...

I record my weight on a saturday morning unless I know I've got a tummy full of food that will get poohed out tonight and so I weigh on Sunday morning cos I want to go DOWN and not UP on my weighins. :D

But I never put what I weighed yesterday even if weighing day I am higher than I was yesterday. I really don't like the terror of not quite managing to keep weight off because I weighed in on a day I hadn't had anything to drink for ages, or similar.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday (as it keeps me on track and motivated + I love numbers). I only record my weight on a Wednesday though.

I also weigh in naked, first thing in the morning, after a wee!
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    i only weigh once per week, usually around weds/thurs because then i don't have any negative impacts from the weekend! ;)

however, the scale isn't very accurate so don't let it put you off, measurements are a better judge and you can also set that up on myfitnesspal (eg. waist, hips, arms, thighs etc!)

Good Luck! :)
  • pinkpandangel105
    pinkpandangel105 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do mine weekly because I'm using the scale at my parents house. If I had a more accessible scale I would probably do it a few more times.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates a lot during the day, week, month, etc. I weigh in once a week at roughly the same time (first thing Monday morning works for me) and I take my measurements every 2 weeks. If you are exercising then the measurements may change more than the scale as things tighten up and move around. I also have noticed that I have a tendency to drop a little more weight the week before my period and then not much at all or have a gain when I am on it. I personally think once a week is enough for me to gauge my progress and notice patterns in my body due to hormones, etc.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Friday morning after the bathroom, naked, and yes i record weight gained too, keeping it honest.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, input it everyday...even the gains, you can't hide the fact it happened
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I weigh AND log every day because I am fascinated by the fluctuations. I log the results whether they are up or down, I find it helps me to realise the effect drinking alcohol/ TOM has on me and don't worry about it. For instance yesterday morning I was 143 and this morning 146lbs, water retention cos I drank on saturday, It'll be down again tomorrow. I think I'm quite unusual though, most people would recommend once a week.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    sexyminxinthemaking Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily but i only log weekly on a wednesday, friend request on its way to you x
  • Charlene_91
    Charlene_91 Posts: 323
    Options
    I weigh once a week on a Saturday morning, straight after i get up. I log in every week whether its a loss or a gain! x
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I step on the scales about 6 times a week, lol, every time I go to the gym in fact, sometimes b4 and after my workout to see how much water I have lost to judge how much I need to rehydrate, but uploading my weight,
    I save that for the weekends when I have had time to really work out and have something positive to add, lol,,, I keep quiet when it goes up, and shout when I am good lol,,,,, but I never lie.
    After thought - for me, weight is not the be all and end all, I am more interested in my waist size, that I have not measured for above a month and well as to yet I have not uploaded that little secret.
  • stevedolan
    stevedolan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate during the week, so I weigh myself every Friday morning. Be honest with yourself and record both losses and gains.
  • mandyjoy12
    mandyjoy12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will be one of the ones who weighs daily or every other day because I too am fascinated by the fluctuations and how they relate to my diary entries. But I think Ill only record it once a week.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Whenever but I don't take it very seriously. I just know my clothes are getting looser.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I weigh just about every day, unless Tom is here, then I don't weigh at all because it depresses me. But I guess, since you guys weigh during that time that I am going to have to suck it up and do the same thing. I only document my wt once a week. Usually on Monday's after my work weekend.
  • mandyjoy12
    mandyjoy12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is 7 overnights in a row then 7 off so I'm sure my weight will vary a lot but I will try to keep the same eating schedule and exercise routine as close as I can!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have one day designated as official weight in day (Saturday) and I enter the number even if it's a gain. However, I weight in daily and put it as a food note. This helps me to see the daily fluctuations and has actually helped me to stop panicking when I see the number go up.