Help with eating

Options
JessiJean
JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
Since I have been counting my calories, I have realized that I never really eat enough calories, except when I eat the entire carton of ice cream in one sitting :blushing: Can anyone give any suggestions on how to up my calories without going to the McDonald's drive thru?? Please HELP!!!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I eat a big breakfast and eat every 2-3 hours of at least 200 calories. That keeps my energy up and my metabolism going.
  • farfalla_americana
    Options
    If you eat a lot of fast food, you should try Panera Black Bean soup, lowfat chicken noodle soup, Turkey Artichoke on Focaccia Panino (sandwich), Chicken Salad on Whole Grain (sandiwich), Ceaser Salad.

You can see their whole menu and nutrition guide online

http://www.panerabread.com/menu/

Their food is freash made, healthy, good calories and TASTES good too!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so you may already eat some of these things but my suggestions are adding snacks/meals of calorie dense foods like nuts, natural nut butters, seeds, low fat cheeses, dark chocolate, beans, avocado. You can also add calories by cooking food in olive oil. Also try protein shakes.
  • lovelee_2
    lovelee_2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same problem..I don't consume enough calories each day so I do eat things like peanuts and avocado. I also eat 100 calorie Nabisco snacks to help me with that and lots of fruit in between meals.
  • Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    how is it people have a problem eating ENOUGH calories, when i cant help but go over by 100-200 every day!? :grumble:
  • Nelski
    Options
    how is it people have a problem eating ENOUGH calories, when i cant help but go over by 100-200 every day!? :grumble:
    LOL I'm with you, I will NEVER have a problem eating enough, but I guess it does happen with other people.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    people who eat a lot of veggies can have problems eating enough, because of the fiber content, it tends to fill you up before the calories skyrocket.

As to eating enough, make sure you are putting nutrient dense foods in your diet, legumes, nuts, foods with natural fats in them are generally calorie dense, like seed foods and pods (pea and bean pods, nuts, grains).

Some examples are

steel cut oats
    many nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts)
    bananas
    whole grain breads
    avocados
    sweet potatoes

those are just top of the head things, there are many many more out there.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I need to increase my vegetable intake up but fruits I love eating fruit s:smile:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    yeah, veggies are very low in calories, so people who eat alot of veggies usually end up in the low end.

How are u doing with protein and fat? You might need to increase in one or both of those areas.

I tend to not eat enough fat, I don't even make it to 30%, so I have to purposely eat peanut butter with an apple for a snack and/or avocado or cheese with dinner, I use olive oil when I cook but just a little and I should never need to go on skim milk, I am already on 2%.

If you are having trouble going over your calorie limit try eating more veggies, then fruit.

when I have lunch now I have carrot sticks instead of chips, I transitioned from regular potato chips to multi-grain baked chips to carrot sticks slowly. Big difference calorie wise. Now I always make veggies with dinner whereas before I only did twice a week and I know try to have a salad in addition to the cooked veggies, with olive oil or Kraft Zesy light reduced cal dressing. And I now make sure to sit at the table a whole 5 minutes after I am done eating so that my stomach as a chance to tell my brain that I am full or is it the other way around? haha I feel more calm, not rushed since I still have to clean the kitchen after that.

HTH
    Demetria
  • JessiJean
    Options
    I am not sure about my protein and fats. I am eating a TON of veggies! I am going to find some nuts or trail mix to snack on. Maybe I can eat something in addition to my salad for lunch to get me above 150 calories for lunch.

I was told by my doctor while I was pregnant to drink only skim milk because I was gaining way too much, but doesn't make since, seeing as how I am eating the same as I was!??? My daughter weighed over 8lbs!

This is baffling!!!!! :noway:
  • Nelski
    Options
    Your salad for lunch is only 150?? You can up that big time. Olive oil base dressing, hard boiled egg, chicken breast, turkey breast, almonds, sunflower seeds, kidney beans, chickpeas, cheese...
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so you may already eat some of these things but my suggestions are adding snacks/meals of calorie dense foods like nuts, natural nut butters, seeds, low fat cheeses, dark chocolate, beans, avocado. You can also add calories by cooking food in olive oil. Also try protein shakes.

x2
  • Kelsa
    Kelsa Posts: 1
    Options
    instead of eating just a salad for lunch, i usually throw in some tuna mixed with a bit of olive oil. also, shortcuts chicken by perdue is very easy and adds healthy calories, protein, and fat. another thing i tend to do is eat a handful of almonds or dry roasted peanuts when i am overly hungry. you could even make your own power trail mix by mixing almonds, dry roasted peanuts, raisins, and kashi granola crunch. a handful or so of this will give you the energy you need without going overboard on portions or calories. i also often add a tablespoon of peanut butter while eating bananas, apples, celery, or carrots, if i am very hungry. that way, you're getting a fruit and/or a vegtable, but you wont find that you're left hungry. also, if you're on the go try mixing soy milk....(it actaully tastes very good) with a scoop of whey or soy powder protein. but be sure you are eating enough, i actaully hit a plateau because my calorie intake was much too low. hope this helps, good luck!
  • JessiJean
    Options
    What is a diary that people can't see??
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It's your food log.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    What is a diary that people can't see??

You can choose to have your food diary private (noone can see it) or public (others can view it)