Compression Sleeves for Running

Options
I have been battling shin splints, so my coach wanted me to start running in compression socks/sleeves. I wore them for a 6 mile run no problems and an 8 miles run (with a temp of 25 degrees) with no problem.

Today I did a 10 miler -- temp was about 65 degrees. I was fine until about mile 6 when I began to get more and more short of breath. At mile 7.5 I went over a big hill and even on the downhill I could NOT catch my breath back. By 8.5 I was joined by a friend of mine who noted that I was gasping and panting and yes I was really struggling...

She suggested stopping and pulling down the compression sleeves ... within less than 5 minutes my breathing was back to normal and I felt fine and was able to finish my run.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    anyone? anyone?
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of anyone wearing compression sleeves while running. - not that it may not be common, I have just never heard of it. I sometimes wear sleeves when it is in-between weather, so I can slip them off in the middle of the run - but they are just stretchy sleeves.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I hope someone responds who wears the compression sleeves or compression socks...
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have worn compression socks while running occasionally - recovery runs, mostly. Usually I wear them after long runs (over 20K). I think there is mixed data on whether wearing them *while* exercising is effect.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have worn them while running and have nothing but positive results. I have not ever read anything about compression socks contributing to the problems you had. All compression socks are not the same though so who knows... I would check out the manufacturers site and perhaps send them an e-mail to see if they have any thoughts. Sorry I can't help.

Edited to add:

After reading your post again...it sounds like maybe pulling down the sleeves just gave you tie to stop and catch your breath and let your heart rate go down a bit. Maybe it had nothing to do with the socks at all. If this was the first hot day you have run in a while maybe your body just needed some time to acclimate.