Strengthing my heart

Options
I recently failed my physical demands test for my job. My max heartrate allowed through exertion is 168. (220- my age). I went 3 beats over which = FAIL. Now under instructions to increase my cardio before retaking in about 2 weeks so I don't go over again. I am working like a fiend wearing my HRM and the highest I get is up to 155. This is while working up a massive sweat and pedaling at about 20km an hour. Any advice on how I will know if I'm going to max out again. Should I push even harder to hit that 168?
I'm at a loss here.

Replies

• jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Slow it down by slowing and controlling your breathing. That works for me
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, you're lucky, haha. When I'm pushing myself like a maniac, my heart rate goes all the way up to 205. It'll actually hang around in the 190's for a while, when I'm doing a semi-sprinting activity.

Have you tried running? That has a different effect cardiovascularly, and your heart rate would probably be higher than just pedaling on a cycle. It might give you an idea of where your max effort would be, in terms of the feeling of exertion.

So no advice except that, but I wish I had your problem, because I'm pretty fit already, and my heart rate for max effort is ridiculous, and won't go any lower, no matter how hard I try. ;)
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOL I keep trying to tell them that I have the heart of a 40 yr old so I should be allowed to go to 180. Sadly that arguement doesn't work.
  • omgcarol
    omgcarol Posts: 2
    Options
    How often are you doing cardio? I walk daily with my dog, about 2 hours, up a big hill. At first it was a tough challenge and I thought I was going to faint. But since doing this nearly everyday for like 6-8 months my heart rate has gotten more "comfortable" and it becomes easier... I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I don't think you have to run or jog to make your heart stronger, though walking and using up energy should, through time. I'm not a physician though.