Do I need to eat all of my calories

Options
I have trawled through the messages but just need an answer ....

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories per day.
Since I started 1 week ago I have only got to 1200 calories once and this was when I ate some rubbish food!!

Today I am eating:
1 x weetabix, 1 teaspoon sweetener and 50ml milk
ham sandwich with light mayo
5 x beef meatballs, 75g pasta and bolognaise sauce.

I still have almost 300 calories remaining and this is without exercise.

Do I have my calories by having crisps with my lunch or garlic bread with dinner or do I just leave it. I don't seem hungry or anything so could go without the additional foods but ARE YOU MEANT TO EAT ALL OF THE CALORIES??

I am so confused!!

Replies

• emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    theres nothing to be confused about..

in western society we eat way too much. Your body doesn't need a lot of food to survive.

your food intake does however sounds low.
    you could easily have 3 wheatbix, and some fruit and vegetables during the day
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    The idea behind not dropping below 1200 is that any less than that for the average person and your body isn't getting enough nutrition and so it will start holding on to the food it is getting (starvation mode).

I'd recommend trying to add more calorie dense foods to your meals if you aren't able to eat anuything else. There's a list on here somewhere or you could google.calorie dense foods. Is do it for you but am currently on mny phione
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Yes, you need to get to 1200, and probably more on days where you exercise. Your body needs fuel to function, and depriving it of fuel is not going to help you in the long run!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Your answer is based on your actual goal. Are you trying to lose weight or body fat %/gain muscle or both at the same time?

Assuming you're just going for body fat % (and not weight), you should be concerned moreso with carbs than calories (but you still enough calories to not lose weight).

But if you do have a calorie deficit for a particular day, you will most likely lose weight but it's fine as long as you're not starving yourself. Simply, if you aren't hungry, don't eat. Your body tends to panic when you go on a starvation mode and actually ends up storing fat.

Now there may be a reason why you aren't getting enough calories, it maybe your metabolism or your daily activity. If you are concerned about not losing too much weight and getting weaker, I suggest boost your metabolism by having smaller portioned meals throughout the day or you may want to exercise more.

Good luck!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need a lot of food to survive.

This may be true, but your body DOES need proper nutrition and sufficient fuel to THRIVE.

Yes, you are meant to eat all of your calories. The number MFP gave you (1200) already has a built-in deficit for you to lose weight. Women should generally NOT go lower than 1200 calories per day, so since your calories are set so low, it is important that you meet your minimum.

As for what to eat, I did not see many fruits or vegetables in your menu. Maybe add some of those - a salad with a nice olive oil dressing and some nuts? A slice of avocado on your sandwich? Fresh fruit? Veggies with hummus?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have trawled through the messages but just need an answer ....

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories per day.
    Since I started 1 week ago I have only got to 1200 calories once and this was when I ate some rubbish food!!

Today I am eating:
    1 x weetabix, 1 teaspoon sweetener and 50ml milk
    ham sandwich with light mayo
    5 x beef meatballs, 75g pasta and bolognaise sauce.

I still have almost 300 calories remaining and this is without exercise.

Do I have my calories by having crisps with my lunch or garlic bread with dinner or do I just leave it. I don't seem hungry or anything so could go without the additional foods but ARE YOU MEANT TO EAT ALL OF THE CALORIES??

I am so confused!!

Have 2 weetabix instead of one, and more milk.
    Add real butter & mayo to your sandwich
    Have a piece of fruit as a snack.
    drink some fruit juice

it is easy to add the extra calories without increasing the bulk.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    A pear, a banana and a small salad with oil/vinegar will add that 300 calories that you need in a healthy way. Please don't eat rubbish to get the calories. Your day was woefully deficient in fresh fruit and veg! =)
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to add in more fruits and veggies - your body needs the 1200 minimum! Easier said than done - especially when you add calories burned from your workouts!

Good luck! Start small - add another Weetabix (stay away from the chips!!!) and have some fruit and/or veggies with each meal!!
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not sure why you're eating such a little amount. 1 weetabix with barely any milk for breakfast & then only 3 meals a day. And you have no fruit of veg intake at all judging by today's food.

One thing I see people do commonly is drop their food intake drastically low to lose weight and then unsurprisingly they can't stick to it in the long run. They end up overeating again and getting back into bad habits. I have a lot of friends who eat very similar meals to you and they eventually end up giving up to a kebab and chips & they're all bigger than they were to begin with.

You need enough calories to fuel your body. The 'right' number is dependent on the individual - but under 1200 will not be enough (some people will argue that it is for very short people or severely obese people but for 99.9%, it isn't enough). If you aren't eating enough you'll struggle to find the energy to do anything - you'll be tired, lethargic, moody. Your hair and skin will suffer (especially with the lack of veggies in your diet). And when you do attempt to eat a normal, healthy amount you'll put weight on because your metabolism isn't working at it's best. So the likelihood is that a diet like this will cause you to gain weight in the long run rather than lose any.

If you really aren't hungry then just change your foods to calorie dense foods like full fat mayo. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil over your pasta, etc. But don't go short on calories. It isn't necessary to seriously deprive yourself from food to lose weight.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Instead of crisps or garlic bread, how about some fruit?
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes! And eat back all or most of your exercise calories too. You can lose weight without starving!
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fruit.
  • littlememo
    Options
    You should defiantly eat the 1200 or your body goes into starvation, you might see results initially but then you body starts to act as if your starving it and hold on to the fat your trying to get rid of, use some of the good suggestions in previous replies to add calories like fruit, fruit juice etc
    Yes like others have said you don't need as much as society leads us to believe we do but you do need to be getting a basic amount; I'd guess that most people not on a diet eat well in excess of 2000 calories a day so 1200 is a major reduction :)
    :) xx
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. Houmous and vegetables is a great one, olives, full fat milk, like others are saying a dressing. A little greek salad added to your day would be good tomatoe, onion, cucumber, olive oil, mixed herbs, balsamic vinegar and a little feta. Tastes wonderful and would provide the extra calories x
  • lovethe3
    lovethe3 Posts: 3
    Options
    First thing that struck me was that you said you use sweetener. I know it seems to make sense but using artificial sweeteners is a terrible way to cut calories. Your body thinks it's getting sugar when it isnt and that can really mess you up. Go ahead and use something natural like honey or agave nectar. they have higher glycemic index, meaning it burns slower and doesnt spike your blood sugar. Also... you have a serious lack of fruits and veggies in your diet. Make some of these changes and see if that doesnt get you there. Best wishes and learn to enjoy what you eat...
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I eat for breakfast, will determine what I add with my dinner. If I had Ready Brek for breakfast, I usually have scrambled egg with my sandwich for dinner. If I am not having a sandwich I usually have my eggs for breakfast.

Like Ladyraven suggested, try using regular mayo and/or butter. It won't feel you are eating more, but the calories are pretty much hidden. You really need to eat a bit more breakfast as well. If you are using Skimmed Milk with that, you are getting like less than 100 calories for breakfast which really isn't a lot. I try to aim for around 400, maybe a bit more. You should be aiming at maybe 300 calories for each meal and 300 calories for your snacks.

Eat fruit that is higher in calories. I enjoy banana's. Depending on the size, they could range from like 70 calories to 150 calories. I tend to have one that's around 100 calories and they aren't exactly massive really.

I know a lot of people say Artificial Sweeteners are bad for you because of the ingredients that are in it, but if you have trouble keeping under your calorie goal, sweeteners are something that keeps me under. I don't use it often, maybe twice a week on my cereal. If you are having trouble reaching your goal, then you can't afford to use something that has little to no calories in it when you could go with something that has more calories in it. Sugar, Honey, etc. If you are using Skimmed Milk, switch to Semi Skimmed or Pure Whole Milk for cereals. Maybe add just another 25ml because 50ml doesn't seem like a lot. Or you can buy those yoghurts for cereal, I think they will add more calories, but they will be higher in sugar if you are worried about sugar.

With lunch, just add scrambled egg to the dish. 2 or 3 eggs does it for me, it's feel light when your eating it, but it can fill you up pretty quickly. And again, don't use low fat mayo, butter's, etc. Add just another piece of ham if you can.

With Dinner, that is probably a portion I would usually go for. Hell, I usually have less pasta than you do, but I go for a bit more meat for the protein. That seems like a decent size meal. It's just the rest of your meals seem small and really low in calories.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You do need to add more vegetables. Pick green veggies over the others. And if you still need to add calories pick nuts. Walnuts,pecans,cashews. Wonderfully nutritious and full of protein. If you are trying to loose weight though you should not be drinking juice like someone suggested. It has way too much sugar. And yes you should eat at least 1200 calories. I have been losing about a lb or more a week. I exercise a lot and have healthy delicious meals. Feel free to look at my diary. The screwdriver was a very rare treat by the way.
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As for what to eat, I did not see many fruits or vegetables in your menu. Maybe add some of those - a salad with a nice olive oil dressing and some nuts? A slice of avocado on your sandwich? Fresh fruit? Veggies with hummus?

This is what I was going to suggest. If that's your food for the day, where are your fruits and vegetables? You've got carbs and fats and a little bit of protein. Steam some broccoli to go with dinner, have an apple or melon to go with lunch, some berries with breakfast. That will bring you to your calorie goal and give you the proper fruit and veg you need as well.