Elliptical Question.

Options
I've been shopping around trying to find a good quality and affordable elliptical.
Everyone is telling me to get one with a good stride length....what is a good stride length though?
the one im looking at is 14"

Replies

• NikohlMariee
    NikohlMariee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" if that matters
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have this one (AUDIOSTRIDER 990 PRO NEW FOR 2012). we got it early december. my husband has had to grease the tracks 2 or 3 times already. it's not perfect, but it feels solid (I'm 5'8", started at 185) and had all the features (moving incline, arms, rear flywheel) that i wanted from the nice precors from when i used to go to the gym. assembly is totally doable, but you'll need a strong friend.

we bought it from the website. do a quick search for nordictrack coupon code or something, and you'll likely find the $60 discount that i got. it was enough to negate the taxes. :-)

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_10301_12401_19053_181319

as for stride length... mine technically has an 'adjustable stride' but i guess it's a gimmick... the stride length changes with the ramp incline. it's true for most brands. there are a few that are actually adjustable, but i dont know what they are.
  • NikohlMariee
    NikohlMariee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work 20 hours a week at a giftshop...i dont have $1000 to spend lol
    i'm looking at one at walmart (so i can put it on my walmart card and make payments)
    here's the link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Stridetrainer-380-Elliptical-Trainer-with-Bonus-6-pc-Puzzle-Mat/17209695#ProductDetail
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I bought a used one at Sears for $400. I have no idea what type it is or what the stride length is I just jumped on it felt right so I bought it :wink:
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    I got the Gold's Gym 410 at Walmart for $387. I like it quite a bit. It has a heart rate monitor (suspect it isn't very accurate) a built in fan and different workouts to choose from. I think it is worth the money.
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye out on your local craigslist. We got a nice norditrack autostrider for $90 last fall. Works great and cost a fraction of a new elliptical.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ok. i remember the starving years. I bought a $99 special on walmart., 6 or 7 years ago... it was called hot cross buns (it was a crazy weird thing, kind of like a inline skating motion w/ arms). It was a complete waste of money (really noisy, uncomfortable for my knee and totally useless), back when we didn't really have any. I bought it online so I never got to try it.... bad idea. If you can find something inexpensive that you can try in person, I would go for it, but I would avoid the mistake I made.

Consumer reports has some good info, you don't need a membership to access the "here's what we learned" part
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/ellipticals/buying-guide.htm

basically, they said cheap ones are exactly that, and you'll get what you pay for.

I'd save up till you can buy a good one, or find a cheap gym membership, maybe use craigslist for a used one (take a friend when you do the purchase, and tell a 3rd person where you're going)
  • sarah329618
    Options
    I have that exact elliptical machine from walmart that you posted and I like it. It could be better but it gets my heart rate pumping and the resistance goes up pretty well. I suggest getting a HRM though because that elliptical shows you burn double the amount of calories than you actually did burn.