Starvation mode

Options
Hey :)

I don't eat breakfast. I can go from 7/8pm to 12pm the next day without eating though. I think I read on here that SM kicks in after 48h of no food. But am I safe from it on a 1200/1300 calorie day if I have 17h periods of no food?

Opinions are great but actual scientific data (or pointing me in the direction of it) would be awesomesauce.

Thankies :)

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

I don't eat breakfast. I can go from 7/8pm to 12pm the next day without eating though. I think I read on here that SM kicks in after 48h of no food. But am I safe from it on a 1200/1300 calorie day if I have 17h periods of no food?

Opinions are great but actual scientific data (or pointing me in the direction of it) would be awesomesauce.

What you are referring to is Intermittent Fasting, even though you may not realise it has a name :)

There are many people doing IF on here, usually following the 16/8 method, which means you fast for 16hrs, and eat in an 8 hour window. for example, 12pm to 8pm

lot's of resources on the net, particularly www.leangains.com

Good Luck
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Like ladyraven68 said, it's pretty much intermittent fasting. I ended up doing it by accident too before I realized anyone did it intentionally. I started off being really strict with getting in a certain number of calories per day, but then I just sort of fell into a rhythm of eating that's really comfortable for me. And as a bonus, this was the one time I didn't set a weight loss expectation; I stopped with the "x pounds per week" thing and just said, "If I eat healthful food and start working out, the weight will eventually come off." As a result, I've lost weight faster and feel MUCH better than I ever have when trying to diet and lose weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

www.leangains.com

You're fine in terms of the fasting duration. You might be setting your calories too low but that wasn't really your question.

See above link for details.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

What you are referring to is Intermittent Fasting, even though you may not realise it has a name :)

There are many people doing IF on here, usually following the 16/8 method, which means you fast for 16hrs, and eat in an 8 hour window. for example, 12pm to 8pm

lot's of resources on the net, particularly www.leangains.com

Good Luck

^ I should read replies before I post. Everything you need is up here, great reply Lady.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it takes weeks to go into starvation mode. Delaying food for a few hours is more akin to intermittent fasting which is a safe way to manage your calorie intake. Do not believe everything you read. Many people are spreading misinformation on these forums.
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There is soooo much info out on the interwebz that it can be hard to decipher. Part of that is that a study from 2001 is still available on the web even if it is superseded by a study in 2010.

IF, as previously mentioned, will not put you into starvation mode per the previously mentioned link. There is also some discussion of it on www.nerdfitness.com

I would like to mention that all the information available is still a guideline. You have to find out what works for you.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options

awesomesauce.

That made me smile. :happy:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I do this all the time because I enjoy having my breakfast in the evening as a last meal and I'm not dead yet :tongue:
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I totally agreewith switney2 , theonly thing that you might be doing is messing about with insulin production predisposing you to type 2 diabeties. Which is quite honestly worse than being in starvation mode in my opinion.
  • Clanky8
    Clanky8 Posts: 1
    Options
    I hear you with wanting to have scientific information, but I am finding that even that doesn't take everyone's different make up into account.

Is this method working for you? Can you keep it up over time? That is the truest scientific test there is. What works for you.
  • tattooedtealady
    tattooedtealady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is important to eat breakfast. There are unfortunately, no two ways about it. Regardless of how long it is until your body goes into starvation mode. If you skip breakfast your body starts to eat the fats. But then when you do eat, it goes straight to fat to replace the lost fat from skipping a meal.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you skip breakfast your body starts to eat the fats. But then when you do eat, it goes straight to fat to replace the lost fat from skipping a meal.

:huh: :noway:

Not trying to offend, but that doesn't even make sense. I suggest you do some more research because this is incorrect.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

:huh: :noway:

Not trying to offend, but that doesn't even make sense. I suggest you do some more research because this is incorrect.

^ And this is correct.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I do this all the time because I enjoy having my breakfast in the evening as a last meal and I'm not dead yet :tongue:

Same!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I fast from 10pm-2pm daily and have gotten leaner and stronger.
    IF is awesome!
    Now lets talk about the 1200-1300 cals.....
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MAAAN! I don't feel hungry as I wake up. Been like this since my teens (and stopped eating breakfast at my 20s).

For the last weeks, I'm avoiding eating too late as make some diference in my morning weights.

But I didn't know that my "I'm not really hungry til 11am" was a thing hahah.
  • vweavers
    vweavers Posts: 24
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic website
    Metabolism and weight

It may be tempting to blame your metabolism for weight gain. But because metabolism is a natural process, your body generally balances it to meet your individual needs. That's why if you try so-called starvation diets, your body compensates by slowing down these bodily processes and conserving calories for survival.

This compensation is generally referred to as 'starvation mode'. The term 'starvation' or 'starvation mode' gets thrown around a lot. Depending on the source- this can mean anywhere from 5 (daytime) hours without food to days without food to weeks with very little food. You have to use a little context when reading and understanding.

It is best to eat 4 or more small meals spread throughout the day (sized depend on your caloric intake requirements. If 4 meals, minimum of 300 calories per). I am eating 5 times per day, averaging about 250 calories per (usually 4x200 and one larger evening).

Your body doesn't keep track of how much food (fat) is stored, so it keeps processing fat, even though it's not needed. Keeping a regular supply of food coming keeps the metabolism up, and fat production down. I've lost over 15lbs in about 5 weeks without skipping a single meal. I also have plenty of energy to workout once or twice a day. Not only am I eating 5 times a day, but I'm eating essentially whatever I want- steak, pizza, and even an occasional brownie. After reading what I'm eating- which sounds like a better way to lose- eating pizza or starving yourself?

Initially, your brain (and mouth) will try to tell you to keep eating past those small portions. It takes some getting used to (not eating until you are FULL). You need to train yourself to recognize the difference between "not being stuffed" and "hungry".
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Keeping a regular supply of food coming keeps the metabolism up, and fat production down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • doobyden
    doobyden Posts: 25
    Options

awesomesauce.

That made me smile. :happy:

Haha, good stuff!