38 Years Old, Mom of 3, Needs help and inspiration

Options
Ajinx1
Ajinx1 Posts: 12 Member
I've been on and off here for a while, but never did much participation in the forum. I'm going to start out by introducing myself.

I have three children 10,6, and 3. I work full time and commute almost an hour each way. After spending time with the kids there's not a lot of me time left. I've tried to make some positive changes in my life. Yes, I desperately want to lose weight, but I find the going difficult. I have no will power and LOVE food. Growing up in Northern Minnesota made me kind of a meat and potatoes gal. I love good comfort food. My main goal as of late is to watch more carefully what I eat and stay active.

Staying active has been the big part for me. My husband is a thin/athletic build and very concentious about his weight and rather discriminating towards mine at times. Sadly this causes stress, but he does try to help me. Last summer/fall we spent days on end playing tennis and running. That spurred me and a group at work to train and participate for a 5K last November. Since then I'd tapered off in activity, but formed a group at work that is now logging excercises and keeping a challenge going. I've also joined TaeKwonDo twice a week with my son - since I drive him there and sit for an hour I figured I might as well. (This has been difficult for me and way beyond my comfort level). Another night a week I spend at dance class with my six year old.

I've inspired a friend to go swimming with me before work on Friday mornings. I feel good that I'm staying active, but its just not enough! I need to lose weight!

I spend as much time outside as possible. We are big snowmobilers in the winter. I do a good amount of gardening - flowers and vegetables all summer long. And my main hobby focus is horses! Love them! I have two at home (one that I've had for over 25 years!). I wish there was more time in the day for me to go ride.

So with that...if anyone has any tremendous ideas to help, words of advice, wishes to friend me and help inspire or give me motivation its all welcome!!

I've been up to 188 pounds and sitting right at 178 now. I've lost weight and was down another ten pounds when I was running. But I need some organization help to find the time! I'm 5'4 and my BMI is sitting at "obese". Anyone else similar?

Replies

• TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, feeling your pain! I am a mom to 3 girls...ages 15, 13, & almost 9 & obese. If you could walk during your lunch hour or park farther away from your office, or possibly take the stairs versus the elevator that may help. If possible maybe your thin hubby can watch the kids while you spend some "me" time exercising OR exchange kids with a friend for her to watch them 2 days & you watch hers for 2 days for an hour to help each other exercise.
  • LizFo
    LizFo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have a bit in common. I'm 38, married, mom of one (he's almost 10). I live on the south side of the Twin Cities and love to be outside -- gardening, walking, etc. I grew up riding horses but haven't had one for a number of years (can't seem to give up my saddle, though). I'm also 5'4" with a husband who keeps pretty slim. I'm hovering around 150 lbs with 12 lbs lost over the last 10 weeks & another 10-15 lbs to go.

I love to eat big servings, so I've found that low calorie, nutrient dense foods are great. Also love peanut butter & chocolate, and I've managed to fit those in & still lose. Exercise has been great for me too; I feel so much better if I've done some cardio.

Feel free to add me if you like. Best wishes in your journey! --Liz
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and a mom of an 11 and 9 year old. It's never too late to get started. The best approach is to move every day and to slowly add healthy foods and eliminate the not so healthy ones.
    If you can, get in a mix of lifting weights, clean eating and cardio and you'll be on your way. I eat 5 small meals a day and stay energized. It definitely helps in losing weight.

Best of luck and don't be afraid of the forums, although you will see a lot of opinions so you have to pick and choose.
  • cindyf14
    cindyf14 Posts: 8
    Options
    Ajinx,

What about strength training/weights? Seems like alot of what you are doing is cardio based which is good, but building muscle burns fat. Also make sure your getting enough protein in your diet, protein helps build and restore muscle.

Also, be happy with who you are regardless of size. We are all wonderful people trying to obtain the same goal, but you can not get there if you don't love who you are now.

p.s. we should get together and go for a ride sometime! I will have access to a trailer soon! :)
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'll play! Add me!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well Hi there! You sound like me:bigsmile: Add me if you'd like.
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well Im onlyy 27, but I have 3 children and am a single mom, but still, I completely understand the time issue, my oldest turns 3 next month, so my time is after 8 pm and before 5 am lol. I think you should try some strength training maybe, Im a fan of it. Either way you can add me, I can be some support cause I know all about the frustrations of finding the time LOL. :)
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off here for a while, but never did much participation in the forum. I'm going to start out by introducing myself.

I have three children 10,6, and 3. I work full time and commute almost an hour each way. After spending time with the kids there's not a lot of me time left. I've tried to make some positive changes in my life. Yes, I desperately want to lose weight, but I find the going difficult. I have no will power and LOVE food. Growing up in Northern Minnesota made me kind of a meat and potatoes gal. I love good comfort food. My main goal as of late is to watch more carefully what I eat and stay active.

Staying active has been the big part for me. My husband is a thin/athletic build and very concentious about his weight and rather discriminating towards mine at times. Sadly this causes stress, but he does try to help me. Last summer/fall we spent days on end playing tennis and running. That spurred me and a group at work to train and participate for a 5K last November. Since then I'd tapered off in activity, but formed a group at work that is now logging excercises and keeping a challenge going. I've also joined TaeKwonDo twice a week with my son - since I drive him there and sit for an hour I figured I might as well. (This has been difficult for me and way beyond my comfort level). Another night a week I spend at dance class with my six year old.

I've inspired a friend to go swimming with me before work on Friday mornings. I feel good that I'm staying active, but its just not enough! I need to lose weight!

I spend as much time outside as possible. We are big snowmobilers in the winter. I do a good amount of gardening - flowers and vegetables all summer long. And my main hobby focus is horses! Love them! I have two at home (one that I've had for over 25 years!). I wish there was more time in the day for me to go ride.

So with that...if anyone has any tremendous ideas to help, words of advice, wishes to friend me and help inspire or give me motivation its all welcome!!

I've been up to 188 pounds and sitting right at 178 now. I've lost weight and was down another ten pounds when I was running. But I need some organization help to find the time! I'm 5'4 and my BMI is sitting at "obese". Anyone else similar?

Although I am a little younger than you (27), our lives sound about identical. I am also a mother of 3 (boys) ages 9, 6, and 3. I find it hard to find the time to workout, and I LOVE food. I've learned its best NOT to cut out your favorites completely, just learn portion control and eat less of it. If you try to just eat completely healthy and skip the 'meat and potatoes', you'll fail. Trust me.

Feel free to friend request me. :)
  • Ajinx1
    Options
    Tired- Unfortunately at my work we don't have stairs and parking isn't a problem (small company). Occasionally we take walks at break (I'm salary though so don't usually take breaks when the other group does). We did start a fitness challenge here at work and there's 8 of us that are logging exercises on the wall. That keeps us competitive and a bit fun!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well Im onlyy 27, but I have 3 children and am a single mom, but still, I completely understand the time issue, my oldest turns 3 next month, so my time is after 8 pm and before 5 am lol. I think you should try some strength training maybe, Im a fan of it. Either way you can add me, I can be some support cause I know all about the frustrations of finding the time LOL. :)

You sound like me too........my only difference is that I am 48.....lol
  • Ajinx1
    Options
    Thank you all! I recieved a number of friend requests and sent out a few as well. I soooo appreciate it. I'm going to try really hard to commit to this and make it a lifestyle change versus just an existance.

Several of you mentioned strength training. And that's an excellent point. We do have an old bowflex and I do get on it from time to time. I've been trying to add it more this week 2X already, so maybe that will help. One of the TaeKwonDo instructors works us pretty hard doing work with weighted medicine balls and ab work (read torture) so that I think has definitely helped improve me there!! I will try to incorporate that in my workouts and see if that makes a difference!!
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi. I'm 38 and a mom of two. i work full time and also have a hard time fitting it all in. for me, i've found that if i don't exercise before my kids wake up in the morning, it's very likely not going to happen. at night, after dinner and baths and getting the kids down, i'm just ready to crash. i try to get up early and fit in half an hour while the house is still quiet. it's hard to drag my butt out of bed some days, but i always feel better after i've exercised. also, i've been jogging in place on a mini trampoline in our gameroom. i'm sure there are better forms of exercise, but this enables me to catch up on some TV shows while i work out. i don't get bored and i feel like i'm multi-tasking! for diet, i haven't "given up" any foods. i've just logged everything and paid closer attention to portion sizes. i started tracking on mfp in august and i've since lost 21 lbs. keep plugging away at it. slow and steady wins the race!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me.

I workfull time & have a one year old son. I have an hour commute each way ~ plus a pit stop at daycare. It does make for LONG days. I always worked out in the evening right after I put my son to bed. It worked out great. But, with all the nice weather (Boston, MA) coming I switched my workouts to the morning. I did this so nights can be spent with my son walking or playing outside. You just have to find what works best for you & your schedule.

Weekends I make exercise a family fun event. We take walks, ride bikes, swim or even just play in the back yard. I learned chasing a one year old all over a playground is a GREAT workout plus, it's bonding time that is priceless.

Remember you don't have to crave 30-60 mins out in one hunk. Try walking for 10 mins 3 times a day. Every little bit helps :smile:
  • mtshute
    mtshute Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 38 with two children, a 3 year old and 17 month old. I'm 5'3" and weighed 178 when I stopped nursing my youngest. I started MFP four weeks ago at 170 pounds and hit 160 this weekend! It works...just stick with it and drink tons of water! My fat clothes are now way too loose, and I'm wearing pants I haven't worn in 4 years (and they're loose too)! Every time I start to see changes, I get motivated to keep going.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I have found that I dont have much time when I get home either, I think most women have this problem. I sit at a desk almost all day. I find reasons to get up an walk even if only to the bathroom. I have also started doing exercises at my desk, well under the desk so I dont look so funny. I usually have music playing and will move my legs at varying speeds and in different directions under my desk while sitting. I can usually do this while working on the computer or writing (lots of documentation for me). It helps me feel like I am being pro active. I talked with a few of my friends here at work and we concluded that we could count it as very low stationary bike although some days I do count as low, if I am moving faster than usual. The music helps me set the speed. I am open for suggestions too.
  • barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity... because I know I don't have the issue of an hour commute... but would there be any way that you could schedule yourself say 20 to 30 minutes before you go to work. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred only takes about 20 minutes (25 if you count the warm up and cool down) and it will give you the cardio and strength training you need. I know it can be hard to get the workout in... so schedule it and don't break your schedule. For instance, if you had a meeting scheduled would you just not go because you just didn't feel like it? So if you are really serious maybe that would help. The workout might even give you more energy. Although honestly, it seems like you do alot of physical activity as is.

Another thing to note is your portions. Are you measuring out your food - either by measuring cup or by a food scale? I was stuck forever and then I got a food scale and realized I was grossly overestimating what my serving was. This meant that I was eating the deficit that would have put me at my steady weight loss.

Unfortunately there is no easy way when it comes to weight loss. When you look at the equation - it doesn't seem like it should be hard - but doing it is another ballpark completely. Good luck on your journey and I hope you find a way to work this out.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    I'm a father of five, work fulltime, hour commute, etc much like you.
    These days, after dinner, I ask the littles if they want to go on a walk/jog with me. I usually get one or two saying yes every other night. On those nights they don't want to join me, I wait 'til bedtime and then hit the local gym - I go to Anytime Fitness - and abuse the Elliptical machine for about an hour (recently up from 30 minutes). It's a great burn, plus I finally get to catch up on the news and/or a Food Network show or two. Yes, I will watch Alton Brown making a chocolate souffle while I exercise. ^_^

Feel free to send me an add, if you like. I'll add ya back.
  • bioniclemonade
    Options
    Hi Ajinx1! I'm a 37 year old mom of 7. I was born and raised in Minnesota. I now live in the deep south and yes, it's a shock lol!! I don't work outside of the home but also was using time as an excuse not to workout. I bought the 30 day shred last fall mostly because of Jillian and because it's only 25 minutes. It's not the first video that I purchased. I just never stayed with the other ones. I also made a deal with my husband that if I reached my goal I was going to get an Ipod or an Ipad. Since September I've lost 31 lbs by doing the 30 day shred and logging everything I eat. I was amazed at how many calories I was eating and didn't even realize it. I also was eating huge portions. It was hard to cut back at first, but I've adjusted and even fit treats (snickers) in my day occasionally. The thing that has helped me keep going are the results that I have seen - even within the first week. I had muscles I didn't know existed popping out especially on my legs and arms. So, it was easy to keep going because I could see it working. I've obviously been doing the shred for more than 30 days and have started to incorporate running as well. I would love to do a local 5K some day. Another motivator for me is a second honeymoon trip we have planned. I want to wear a great dress and not have my thighs rubbing together ;)

Please add me if you want to!
  • victoriously42
    Options
    I'm 41 with 2 kids and struggling to find the time to work out. I have work stuff, church stuff and family stuff. There's always something else I can give my time to. Lately, I've been taking the kids to the park and chasing them. I also try to take walks at lunch time to keep me motivated and away from the food that always appears in my office. I get on and off this thing alot too but I think if we have someone to hold us accountable we'll do better. Add me as a friend and I'll check in with you and look for your daily reports! We can do this, even with everything else we have to do!