is there such a thing as salt weight?

Options
I know there's water weight, but what about when you eat a lot of salty things and drink basically no water on a given day? Could that possibly explain the 2+ pounds I "gained" overnight and the fact that my rings hurt and fingers feel puffy?? Remedies? Going to chug as much water as possible today.

Replies

• HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I know there's water weight, but what about when you eat a lot of salty things and drink basically no water on a given day? Could that possibly explain the 2+ pounds I "gained" overnight and the fact that my rings hurt and fingers feel puffy?? Remedies? Going to chug as much water as possible today.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Pretty sure that is water weight.
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is water weight gain....you are retaining water to bring your body into balance with the salt. Osmosis. So, your body is holding on to the water (hence water weight) since you have too much sodium in your body. It is trying to balance your sodium/potassium balance. *If I remember this correctly from biology 20+ years ago!!!*
  • brittnicoledav
    Options

the fact that you're drinking "basically no water" could be actually causing you water retention! your body needs water, so when you don't drink enough it holds on to whatever liquid it gets! drink some water (at least 8 glasses) and flush that out! not getting enough water is one of the worst things you can do for your body, especially if you're trying to lose weight! drink up girl, your body will thank you for it!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Salt weight IS water weight. Too much salt makes your body retain water. That is why drinking water and a good amount of it is important .... it flushes out the bad stuff from your body including salt.
  • SarahLee10
    SarahLee10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I am very salt sensitive myself. The same thing happens to me, my rings get tight. Just drink lots of water to flush it all out. My sodium is one of the things i track on my food log and try really hard not to go over. I dont know the biology/chemistry or what have you behind why that happens. I believe it is water retention.... I think. So just drink your water like a mad crazy person and flush it all out. Good luck to you!
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is water weight gain....you are retaining water to bring your body into balance with the salt. Osmosis. So, your body is holding on to the water (hence water weight) since you have too much sodium in your body. It is trying to balance your sodium/potassium balance. *If I remember this correctly from biology 20+ years ago!!!*

Here is a more scientific explanation.

"Why Salt Causes Water Retention

Our bodies rely on electrolytes, most significantly sodium and potassium, to carry the electrical impulses that control our bodily functions. In order for our bodies to function properly, it is important that the concentration of electrolytes in our bodies remain constant.

A high concentration of electrolytes in our blood triggers our thirst mechanism, causing us to consume adequate amounts of water to return to the proper concentration of electrolytes. This is one of the reasons bars provide free salty snacks like pretzels and peanuts. The salt causes us to become thirsty and purchase more drinks.

When we consume an adequate amount of water, our kidneys are able to keep the concentration of electrolytes in our blood constant by increasing or decreasing the amount of water we retain. The result of our retaining more or less water in our bloodstream can also affect our blood pressure.

The water moves beyond our bloodstream, too. Through the process of osmosis, water flows from a lower salinity environment to a higher one in an attempt to balance the levels of salinity. After we consume large amounts of salt, it is the water moving from our bloodstream into our skin that gives us that "puffy" look and makes it hard to get our rings off. Then, when we consume lesser amounts of salt, the same process works in reverse to remove the excess water from our bodies."

FROM http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_salt.php
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes.. salt causes water retention. It causes your body to "hold on" to what ever water it has to help dilute the salt! That sounds weird but yes.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There's water in the food you eat. Not drinking water all day isn't going to stop water retention, it will make it worse because your body will get a double hit: dehydration and excess sodium
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    When you eat more than your recommended amount of sodium, your body will respond by retaining water. This may make your blood pressure increase, because your heart has to deal with all the extra fluid coursing through your blood vessels. This may increase your risk of developing heart disease and stroke. Additionally, the more salt you consume, the more calcium your body flushes out into the urine. This may cause osteoporosis and loss of bone density.

Treatments
    Eliminate water retention due to sodium intake first and foremost by consuming less salt. Keep your intake below the recommended daily amount. Drink at least eight glasses of water every day to dilute the salt and help your body let go of the water it is retaining in your bloodstream and around your cells. Eating foods that have a high water content, like celery, cucumber, watermelon and onions, may increase urination, which will flush salt and excess water out of the body.

Prevention
    Prevent water retention by staying away from high-sodium foods. When cooking, add a very small amount of salt, if any. Fast food and restaurant dishes are loaded with sodium, so opt to cook your own meals so that you can control your salt intake. Canned foods, including canned vegetables, canned soups and canned tomato sauces, may contain added salt to preserve the food and add flavor. Cook fresh veggies and sauces, or opt for low-sodium versions of your favorite soups.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446194-does-salt-make-you-retain-water/#ixzz1pZI7zKmb
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

There is water in the food you eat, so you are retaining that water due to the sodium, which, yes, will cause a gain on the scale.

Drink. It will flush out.
  • YogaLife4me
    YogaLife4me Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY sensitive to salt, as well! I ate a Greek salad and a slice of cheese pizza for dinner, the other night, both of which were LOADED with sodium. I gained 3 pounds overnight! (It happens to me every time I eat pizza.) It took 2 days of drinking water to get myself back to normal and shed the pounds! I also retain water when I fly or take long car trips. I don't know the rationale behind that!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand it, the OP SAID she's going to drink lots of water to remedy it, so I don't know why people are telling that not drinking water isn't going to help her.
  • akeemo1
    akeemo1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My experience is that when you take in salt (who doesnt love salt) you tend to retain water for 3 days!! I am very carefull to stay away from salt 3 days be fore "weigh day"
    It's really hard to stay from salt consifering it the worlds oldest preservative.... i can see 3lbs weight swing no problem!!!
    Good for you for asking.... knowledge is power! The more you understand the more you can use the knowledge and be comfortable with whats going on with your body from weeke to week!!

Good Luck!!!
    Noel
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana. It will help restore the potassium/sodium balance, as well as drinking water.
  • rml_16
    Options
    As far as I understand it, the OP SAID she's going to drink lots of water to remedy it, so I don't know why people are telling that not drinking water isn't going to help her.

Because she didn't understand how she was retaining water when she didn't drink very much water.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My experience is that when you take in salt (who doesnt love salt) you tend to retain water for 3 days!! I am very carefull to stay away from salt 3 days be fore "weigh day"
    It's really hard to stay from salt consifering it the worlds oldest preservative.... i can see 3lbs weight swing no problem!!!
    Good for you for asking.... knowledge is power! The more you understand the more you can use the knowledge and be comfortable with whats going on with your body from weeke to week!!

Good Luck!!!
    Noel

That may be true for you. It is not the case for me.
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I started logging in all I ate yesterday and the sodium was baaaad. Calories weren't great (like 1800 but I exercised 500 off) but I can see now that I went a little nutty on the salt, and didn't drink my usual 32-64 oz of water.

The interesting this is I have a half marathon coming up when I NEED extra salt b/c I sweat it all out during the run but hopefully this feeling/weight will be gone before Saturday.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I think you're getting confused, that's a double negative so telling her 'NOT drinking water ISN'T going to help' is the same as saying drinking water is going to help.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar problem. I made a separate post on it, but no responses. I had a a higher sodium day on Saturday, which didn't seem to affect my day on Sunday, and there was no additional sodium on sun, but this morning the scale is showing a 3 pound gain. Could it affect 48 hours later?