Veggie Burgers

Options
Sminett
Sminett Posts: 29
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any great recipes for veggie burgers?

Replies

• sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You might do a search or check out the vegetarian / vegan groups . . .
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers

1 jalapeno pepper
    2 garlic cloves
    2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, separated
    2 t cumin
    1 ¼ t salt
    ½ c panko bread crumbs (I used Ian’s Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs)
    2 T tomato sauce (it doesn’t really matter much what kind…I used an open jar of pasta sauce I had in my fridge)
    ½ c corn (fresh, frozen or canned as long as it’s drained/defrosted)
    1-2 eggs (I used one to replace the flax in the recipe, but my burgers were fairly fragile when flipped. You may want to try using two to better bind the burgers. It does not change the P+ value per burger.)
    4 t extra virgin olive oil
    ¾ of an avocado
    3 t sriracha (Thai hot sauce)
    6 whole wheat sandwich rolls (I used Weight Watchers brand which are 3 P+ per roll)

Cut open the jalapeno and remove the seeds. Chop and place in a food processor with the garlic cloves. Pulse until finely chopped. Add one can of drained & rinsed black beans to the food processor and pulse to mix. Add the cumin and salt and continue to run food processor until a chunky paste forms. Pour the black bean mixture from the food processor into a large mixing bowl. Add the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, corn and eggs. Stir together to combine. Add the remaining can of drained & rinsed black beans. Stir to combine. Form mixture into 6 patties.
    Bring 2 teaspoons of oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add three of the patties to the skillet and cook on each side 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Use a large spatula to flip; patties are fragile. Repeat with remaining patties.
    Place each patty on a bun and top with 1/8 of an avocado (sliced) and ½ teaspoon of sriracha. Enjoy!

Yields 6 burgers. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 9 per burger (includes 1/8 of an avocado, ½ t of sriracha and 1 WW brand sandwich roll). Each patty on its own is 5 P+.

1vMGZ.jpg

Quinoa Burgers

2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 green onions, including white parts
    1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Olive oil for frying

To cook quinoa:
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.

Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.

Per burger: Calories 132; Protein 8 g; Fat 5 g; NET Carbs 12 g; (Fiber 2 g); Sugar 0 g; Sodium 200 mg

5W4wk.jpg
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Check out the ones on www.happyherbivore.com would highly recommend!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Recipe-Spicy-Chickpea-Barley-Quinoa-Veggie-Burger-8205066

Spicy Chickpea Barley and Quinoa Veggie Burger
    recipe from an old friend
    Ingredients

1 small sweet potato, baked
    1/4 cup dry quinoa
    1/4 cup dry barley
    15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    2 tablespoons parsley
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 fresh red peppers

Directions

Peel, dice, and steam the sweet potato until soft.
    Cook the quinoa and barley in separate pots.
    Remove the stem and seeds from the red peppers. Cut the whole pepper in quarters, the half a pepper in half, and roast all six pieces in the oven or on the grill.
    While the grains and pepper are cooking, in a food processor, combine garbanzo beans, sweet potato, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper, flour, and one tablespoon oil.
    In a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the quinoa and barley.
    Using hands, form into six patties.
    Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Brown both sides of each burger. Serve on a bun with melted cheese (optional) and a quarter of the roasted pepper.

When I made these, i didn't have barley, so I added breadcrumbs instead...there were awesome!! You could also sub garbanzo for any bean (black beans, etc)