Diet has too much sugar.. Low sugar fruit/healthy deserts?!

Options
Hey,
So I am over on my sugar levels by approx 30g per day... I'm going over on eating too much fruit and activia yogurts - I love their yogurts as they are tasty and good on the calories 120ish per 125g pot but the sugar is 17g! Is this a lot? Sounds a lot to me when I only get 36g allowance per day.

Anyway.. what I am looking for is something I can have for desert ( i am a real desert girl) that doesnt have the sugar.. I have loads of calories to spare too..

Thank you :)

Replies

• bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So Im a sweets junkie too :P. I however by the sugar free chocolates (russell stover makes them) and almost focus on eating as a diabetic would have to with my sweets. Im still having to work towards not going over, but yeah, thats what I do :)
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    I do not know much about Activa yogurt...but this is what I do...

I use Greek FAGE...plain non fat. Then I add my own no sugar added jam...favorite is Nature's Hollow...a little pricey (I get it at Sprouts)...but even Simply Fruit by Smuckers is really good.

Then there is no ADDED SUGAR.

Be sure and look at ingredients in your yogurt. Milk has natural occuring sugars and that will factor into the nutritional value of the sugar.

Sugar is a big no no for me...totally triggers cravings. So from doing doing the above, I have my sweet treat and stay clear of added sugars. Good luck and hope this helps.

Final note...all those prepared yogurts out there have stuff in em...stick with the FAGE plain non fat and add your own extras...then you control what goes in.
  • mandarin32
    Options
    So Im a sweets junkie too :P. I however by the sugar free chocolates (russell stover makes them) and almost focus on eating as a diabetic would have to with my sweets. Im still having to work towards not going over, but yeah, thats what I do :)

I didnt even know these existed! I will have to mail order some in.. Dont think the local french store will stock these ;) Thanks for your help x
  • mandarin32
    Options
    MyVision,

Thanks for that - awesome idea.. I'll grab some zero yog when im out next :)

Anyone have any no yogurt ideas? Low sugar fruit.. does this exist??
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    most flavored yogurts are sugar bombs! I support the idea of greek yogurt with your own flavorings added.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are lower sugar, especially fresh berries.

from livestrong.com:

Apple (sliced)
    Apricot (4 oz.)
    Blackberry
    Blueberry
    Boysenberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cherry (sour, sweet, 10 medium)
    Coconut meat (1 oz. or 1 cup shredded/grated, not packed)
    Coconut milk
    Currant (red, black, white)
    Elderberry
    Gooseberry
    Grape (10 medium)
    Honeydew melon
    Kiwi fruit (1 medium)
    Kumquat (1 medium)
    Lemon/Lime (2 inch diameter)
    Lemon/Lime Juice (1 oz)
    Mulberry
    Orange (sections, without membrane)
    Peach (1 med, 4 oz.)
    Persimmon (American, Japanese, 1 medium)
    Pineapple (1 oz)
    Plum
    Raspberry
    Strawberry
    Tangelo (1 medium)
    Tangerine (1 medium)
    Watermelon

That said, don't go overboard on fruits if you are trying to restrict calories. Too much fruit can sabotage your diet.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In the UK the Guideline daily amounts (GDA) for sugar are 19% of your total calories of which only 10% should come from Non Milk Extrinsic Sugars (i.e added sugar). MFP gives us an allocation that is only 8% sugar and doesn't distinguish the NMES from the Milk and Intrinsic sugar in Fruit/Veg. If you go by the UK guidelines then a normal adult female on 2000 calories a day can eat 90g of total sugar of which only 50g should be NMES this means you can easily eat your 5-a-day fruit/vegetables without worrying about the sugar intake (note fruit juices don't count). In light of this I have upped my sugar allowance on MFP to 65g (on a 1430 calorie goal) and try to make sure that the additional 36g comes from fruit. I have always monitored my sugar on MFP with the result that I stopped eating fruit all together which is obviously wrong. I guess this is why Weight Watchers have declared Fruit as free.