The Number Seems High

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, and I just wanted to ask a general question. My daily caloric needs, based on the questions I answered when I signed up, are 1654. That seems awfully high for weight loss. I'm currently 5'5" and weigh 247 with a pretty sedentary lifestyle (which I plan on changing, of course.) Any ideas?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, and I just wanted to ask a general question. My daily caloric needs, based on the questions I answered when I signed up, are 1654. That seems awfully high for weight loss. I'm currently 5'5" and weigh 247 with a pretty sedentary lifestyle (which I plan on changing, of course.) Any ideas?

That is not awfully high, at all. Most people who are mildly to moderately active can readily lose weight on 1650, at about 160-170lbs.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Since this isn't a race, but more of a lifestyle change, I would go with it, and see what kind of result you get. If after about a month, you are not seeing any results, you can adjust it down a notch. But, if you ate that many calories everyday for the rest of your life, you would eventually be a pretty thin person.
  • Nightingale77
    Nightingale77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about it too - I am 5'5, 170 and 1960 cals. seems way too high for me....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about it too - I am 5'5, 170 and 1960 cals. seems way too high for me....

^ This seems a bit high unless you're active outside of the gym in addition to your regular workouts. But obviously I'm eyeballing here, and you should still try it and see what results you get, then adjust downwards if needed.
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'll give it a whirl- and I'm guessing that with an increase in exercise, the pounds will eventually drop. Thanks!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Aryel - It might even be too low for you, actually. I'm 5'4, and at 196 pounds I lost weight pretty rapidly at 1600. Have a little faith in the system. Give it a month, if it's still not working and you've been faithfully logging, then reduce it a little.

Nightingale - Same to you! Have a little faith in the system. Give it time to work. If you answered the questions truthfully, then it's the right number for you, at least to start out. Be faithful in your logging, change if it doesn't work after a month's time.
  • Aryel168
    Aryel168 Posts: 126
    Options
    Aryel - It might even be too low for you, actually. I'm 5'4, and at 196 pounds I lost weight pretty rapidly at 1600. Have a little faith in the system. Give it a month, if it's still not working and you've been faithfully logging, then reduce it a little.

Nightingale - Same to you! Have a little faith in the system. Give it time to work. If you answered the questions truthfully, then it's the right number for you, at least to start out. Be faithful in your logging, change if it doesn't work after a month's time.

Thank you! I'm ready to do this! This website is awesome! :)
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Check your BMR -- it's under the tools thing. That's the lowest number of calories you should go. Happy Losing!

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

That is not awfully high, at all. Most people who are mildly to moderately active can readily lose weight on 1650, at about 160-170lbs.

And remember you weigh more than that and because of that you will burn more calories carrying around that extra weight. As your weight goes down, so will the calories you burn, and this site will ask you to recalculate what you eat based on that. Unless you have tried it for a while and found it doesn't work, stick with this sites goal. It has worked for many many people.