Need help understanding

Options
So, I was on an under 1200 calorie a day diet and realized (through the help of this forum) that I wasn't eating enough for weight loss. So, last Tuesday I increased my caloric intake to what is recommended for me to lose 1 lb. a week. I fully expected to see an increase in weight before losing anything as my body adapts to the new diet. And, yes, I had gained a pound as of Saturday morning.

But, over the weekend I did an 11 mile hike with a 35 lb. pack. I did 8 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday. I increased my caloric intake as I knew I would be burning a ton of calories. My food profile is public if you want to check it out. I get on the scale this morning and I am up 5 lbs. from Saturday.

Please help me understand how this happens.

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    There is no way your up 5lbs since sat. To put up one lbs you need to eat an extra 3500 cals so that means you would have eaten 17500 cals in 2 days! The amount of exercise you did will show on the scales in the next few days. Why not forget the scales for a week and then weigh yourself again.
  • lpblah
    lpblah Posts: 28
    Options
    I think that would just be water weight (or new muscles?). Unless you eat 3500 extra calories that aren't burned off, you shouldn't be gaining any fat. Have you tried measuring yourself?
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is no way your up 5lbs since sat. To put up one lbs you need to eat an extra 3500 cals so that means you would have eaten 17500 cals in 2 days! The amount of exercise you did will show on the scales in the next few days. Why not forget the scales for a week and then weigh yourself again.

That's why it doesn't make sense. I know what the scale read Saturday morning and this morning. I am hoping my body is just hanging onto water or something from the hike. I am going to stay off the scale until Saturday, my normal weigh-in day.
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think that would just be water weight (or new muscles?). Unless you eat 3500 extra calories that aren't burned off, you shouldn't be gaining any fat. Have you tried measuring yourself?

I haven't measured myself. For me it isn't about the inches, but it is all about the lbs. I am preparing for a hiking trip in August, hence the training this weeked. I have to weigh under 201 for my height or else they won't let me on the trail. I really don't care about inches and am totally focused on weight.