lump on my shin from running?

Options
So , i've just come back from a 30 minute run. My shins were really painful and i could only just manage 30 minutes walking. Now , i'm home and just checked my legs and there's a lump on the front of my shin. Looks like swelling. Could it be shin splints? It hurts to stretch my legs aswell!!! I'm worried , what is this lump?!?!!

Replies

• missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Could be a stress fracture. I dont think shin splints usually cause lumps- although they can be quite painful. I'd go see a doctor and maybe get an x-ray to be safe!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You can get lumps from shin splints - but I would get this checked out to be sure.

In the meantime, try to stretch out gently, then ice it, rest it, and take some anti-inflammatories. You could use a roller on it, if you have one.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing... stress fracture was my diagnosis. However, I recommend getting a physician's diagnosis. As for right now, I'd treat it as a stress fracture - Rest Ice Compress Elevate. Also, stop running for a little while and switch to low impact exercise if you can't not work out. Swimming is a great way to keep up the cardio.

Also, an x-ray is a waste of money as most stress fractures will not be detected by an x-ray. By the time that they show up on the x-ray they're really bad. A bone density scan or CT is going to be the best route to go. But please, go see a physician and take it easy. Stress fractures are no joke - they can lead to a full break or long term re-occuring fractures. .