Dizzyness and headaches during exercse

Options
Im 5'4 and about 11 and a half stone, its been 9 months since i gave birth. At the moment im not following any special diet, i find i eat quite a lot of carbs but try to keep my calorie intake down. anyway i REALLY need to shift my baby weight, especially this spare tyre, but as soon as i start eating smaller portions/healthier meals and especially when exercising i get very dizzy, lightheaded and my head starts to pound. Any reccomendations for anything i can take food or supplement wise that can help?

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How long have you been reducing your calories? When I finally decided to do something about my weight and reduced my calorie intake, I had headaches every evening for about 5 days. Then my body got used to the new regime and I was fine. I didn't exercise at all during that early stage because I don't thnk I could have handled it! Maybe you need to give yourself more time to adjust to your new way of eating.
    Also, what time of day do you exercise? Many people can jump on a treadmill first thing in the morning with no food in their stomachs. If I did that I would pass out. I must eat and schedule workouts an hour afterwards or I feel sick.

So, maybe some of this applies to you?
  • becksfoster
    Options
    my gym class times are usually 7pm, and its been a couple of weeks. i have a really low bp aswell and bordering on anaemic, was wondering if it could be that?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Try half a protein shake with a little fruit before you workout - also drink a glass of water when you wake up. Try doing a dynamic warmup before jumping into your workout.

Low BP could definitely cause dizziness - I would get checked out by your doctor.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Take iron for the anemia. I'm very sensitive to being anemic and will have major symptoms just by being a little anemic. Take your iron pill with vitamin C or with high C food to increase absorption.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.

Check with your dr. about the BP thing. It may be that you need to take extra precautions when exercising.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It could be your blood glucose. Try eating a banana before you workout and see if it helps.

Also, consider picking up a roll of Glucose pills from your local pharmacy (they are only a couple of dollars). If it's not your blood sugar they won't hurt you at all - basically like a piece of candy, but if it is your blood sugar then they could prevent a dangerous hypoglycemic episode.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    my gym class times are usually 7pm, and its been a couple of weeks. i have a really low bp aswell and bordering on anaemic, was wondering if it could be that?

Yes, this is absolutely the problem! You need to cut down on the carbs especially if they are processed carbs. For anemia and blood pressure issues the best thing is to eat healthy. My suggestion is to get your diet in order first before throwing exercise in the mix. I know others might disagree with that but I have been there so I know exactly what you are talking about.
    For the anemia you need to eat a lot of dark leafy greens and drink nettle tea with a little lemon. Nettle tea is one of the best sources of iron and it won't upset your stomach like iron pills will. The lemon is so it uptakes better. Iron uptakes better with a little vitamin C.
    My other suggestion is to see your doctor if these things cannot be managed with diet. Sometimes they can't.