Running early morning - what to eat?

Options
Several days out of the week I have to get up before work at about 6am to run and I don't ever feel like eating that early. And I wake up, put my shoes on and hit the door. Other days when I have an hour or two before I run I have time and feel like eating breakfast. But the early days I just feel like I am dragging during my run because I haven't eaten. But I don't feel like eating... So I not sure what to do! I have thought about eating a couple GU chomps or something but wasn't sure. Suggestions from other early morning runners?

Replies

• EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i wake up... drink a cup of water.. run... come home eat n shower... its better to run on empty stomach :P
  • Meggy247
    Meggy247 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have a few oz of OJ. That gives me a nice morning kick. Or a small banana.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I either eat like two bites of a protein bar before the run and finish the rest later or just bring more shotbloks with me than usual for an extra burst of energy. Interested to see what others say too...
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oh and I run between 3-5 miles depending on the day.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I often will grab a Quaker Chewy granola bar, and eat that before I run. It provides carbs, but it isn't heavy, or very filling. It seems to be just enough to satisfy prior to going out and running! Then I have a "real" breakfast when I get back home.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I tend not to eat anything before a run, especially if it's a shorter run for me (something less than 6 miles). It just ends up making me feel worse rather than better.

I read from an article that someone suggested eating a bowl of cereal the night before, before bedtime if you're lagging early in the morning but aren't feeling hungry.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I use my prepair or if I have to have something a half of a banana and some water. I don't like eatting before I work out it makes me sick. But if you are finding your self hungry I would say a banana and some water
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day and length of the run but I like to have a banana and water before I head out if I'm going to eat. Or a tbsp of PB.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My limit for fasted running is around 10 miles, eat when you get home. shouldn't be a big deal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm another glass of water and out the door for days when the run is 5 to 8km (you have plenty of glycogen stored from the day before), for longer runs I'll have some OJ and a banana and normally on Sundays when I'm doing my LSD I'll eat breakfast (peanut butter on whole wheat toast, yogurt & banana) a couple of hours before heading out for the run.
  • marigold8g
    marigold8g Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I have anything it is a banana-it doesn't sit heavy in my stomach like other things do and so I can eat it and go right away. Still gives me that little boost of energy too.
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    3-5 miles I would just grab some water and go. But depends what your main goal is, no food approach is if you want some extra fat burning
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning, I would have a cup of coffee. do run, come back shower then have breakfast! I would also be doing the same distances as you mentioned! Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For easy pace runs of any length I usually don't eat anything. For a fast paced run I do better if I eat a bowl of cereal an hour or two before. Sometimes I eat before a long run and sometimes not (depending on if I get up early enough.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do have better runs if I've eaten some quick carbs. I sometimes grab a tablespoon of raisins on my way out the door.
  • Hannerling
    Options
    I don't eat anything before an early run, but if it's going to be 5 miles or longer I take hydrated chia seeds for fuel along the run. They are very bland and don't upset my stomach. I do 2 Tbl chia seeds per 8 oz water and it forms a gel.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    everyone is different. I usually have a "midnight snack" between 12 and 2am and I go to the gym at 6am--run 6-10 miles and I'm good until I get home.

On weekends when I go to the gym at 9:30 i eat when i wake up (350 calories of mostly unrefined carbs) and then ~1.5-2 hours later I'm in the gym.

You have to go by how YOU feel.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I only eat before a training run (one of my standard week day runs) if it's greater than 10 miles. In those instances I usually have half a banana or half a bagel about 20 mins before leaving the house. For runs less than 10 miles I run on empty (wake, dressed, drink some water, get out).

But for races (which typically start at 10 am I would eat a more substantial breakfast (at my normal getting up time) and maybe a banana 45 mins before the run.

Like you, I feel faster and feel that I run better when I've eaten, but because of the above my fueled runs are typically events where I may have cut back my running for a few days before. So, it's impossible to say whether feeling better is due to the increased food, the rest or just the fact that I'm at an event.

What I can say though is that I tend to run a little quicker during my fueled/rested races (about 10 mins over a half marathon) and that although I sometimes feel that my empty runs are a chore they have not hampered my progression or training for a marathon and several half marathon races.

Best wishes.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I don't really *want* to eat that early because my stomach is easily upset and I don't feel hungry. But I hate feeling like my body is just dragging during a run, like I have no energy. I consistently run 30-60 seconds slower per mile on my before work runs than if I run any other time during the day. I am going to try about 6 ounces of OJ. I think that would give me just enough sugar to get going but not enough to upset my stomach. And I always have a real breakfast when I get home. Thanks!! If that doesn't work I may give 2 shot blocks a try.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. I usually have a "midnight snack" between 12 and 2am and I go to the gym at 6am--run 6-10 miles and I'm good until I get home.

On weekends when I go to the gym at 9:30 i eat when i wake up (350 calories of mostly unrefined carbs) and then ~1.5-2 hours later I'm in the gym.

You have to go by how YOU feel.
    I second this. We're all different. If you feel like you run better after eating something, then eat something light.

For 3-5 miles first thing in the morning I don't eat anything. I'll usually have a few jelly beans at the 30 minute mark, but that's it.