What are the benefits of protein shakes?

Options
I used to drink them but i heard from someone that you can gain weight and its only good to drink them if you exercise A LOT and want a lot of muscle. What are the benifits?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Repair body cells
    Build and repair muscles and bones
    Provide a source of energy
    Control many of the important processes in the body related to metabolism
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much protein you are getting from the rest of your food. If you eat plenty of other protein, then just go for a home-made smoothie. But, if you don't get a lot of other protein in, then protein shakes are good for you.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't going to make you gain weight just because they are protein shakes. You will only gain weight if you take in more calories than you expend.

It's good to get a lot of protein if you are on a low calorie diet because it helps you to preserve lean muscle mass. Plus, it's a slower burning energy source than carbs so for people with sedentary jobs, protein-based meals and snacks can "hold" them longer and help keep hunger at bay.

I drink one every day for breakfast and have since last Sept. I obviously haven't gained weight as I went shopping yesterday and found out that I've gone down from a size two to a size zero in some stores. :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will in theory only cause you to gain weight if you're doing a lot of weight training, and working to actively build muscle mass. I personally drink a protein drink after I run, and whenever I lift because I tend to not eat a very high protein diet (no meat due to being vegetarian, and unless I'm eating a ton of beans/grains I usually fall under where I want to be). Now, the disclaimers...

A lot of them include creatine monohydrate, which causes your muscles to retain water. This gives your muscles better definition and allows them to work harder, however it's not actual muscle definition. Its water making your muscles swell up. That water weighs something.

Further, if you're using soy protein isolates (the protein comes from soy), you could potentially have side effects from the soy. That's a horse that has been beaten to death all over these boards so I won't go into it.

Overall, they're a great supplement if you need the extra protein, I'd just try to stick with either whey based, or egg based protein powders. For vegans, there are other options but I don't know them so well.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    okay thanks everyone! :wink:

What are some good protein shakes that are low in calories to make?

I have tried muscle milk but the only good flavor i like of those is the cookies and cream.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I drink Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. Very good. They have 17 different flavors. Low in Calories, Fat, and Sugar. This is the one my trainer put me on. She is very funny about things like this. I drink it right after I work out and 45min-1hr before bed.
  • dnd858
    dnd858 Posts: 64
    Options
    I actually make mine with:

-A couple handfuls of Spinach
    -Frozen Banana
    -Almond Milk
    -Flaxseed
    -Teaspoon of Oats

They're delicious!

But I guess that's not really a "protein" shake.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I drink Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. Very good. They have 17 different flavors. Low in Calories, Fat, and Sugar. This is the one my trainer put me on. She is very funny about things like this. I drink it right after I work out and 45min-1hr before bed.
    How many calories per scoop (or per serving)? How many grams of protein? How many carbs? Thanks.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    okay thanks everyone! :wink:

What are some good protein shakes that are low in calories to make?

I have tried muscle milk but the only good flavor i like of those is the cookies and cream.

Jay Robb is the best I have ever tasted and it is all natural too.
  • HeatherMMB
    HeatherMMB Posts: 95
    Options
    I used to drink them but i heard from someone that you can gain weight and its only good to drink them if you exercise A LOT and want a lot of muscle. What are the benifits?

Hi - I use protein shakes every day for about the past 2 years - I use a product called Body Wise - 20 g of protein per shake - no sugar. I put them into the food list.

You have to buy them from a distributor but I just went on line and signed up as one and they deliver them to my house every month.:happy:
    check out the web site: www,bodywise.com they list the ingredients on the site.
  • April0815
    Options
    How many calories per scoop (or per serving)? How many grams of protein? How many carbs? Thanks.

Calories-120
    Fat-1g
    Saturated Fat-0.5g
    Trans Fat-0
    Cholesterol-30g
    Sodium-60g
    Carbohydrates-3g
    Sugar-1g
    Protein-24g

I have been drinking the vanilla ice cream, but this afternoon I bought the Double Chocolate when I went to the gym. I was eating Skinny Cow Ice Cream every night for a treat, so I am thinking instead of having that ice cream I will have a chocolate shake for my sweet fix. I don't mix it with water I use 2%milk with it.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I like Chike. I get it from expressmetabolics.com. The Orange Creme flavor tastes like a dreamcicle! The banana and vanilla are good too. I use the chocolate in baking as I'm not big on most chocolate protein shakes.

I also like Whey Gourmet's Smooth PB and Chocolate shake. I make it with water and ice in a blender so it's the consistency of a smoothie and it's like eating a chocolate shake with gobs of PB added. Only it has almost no fat or carbs.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

x2, optimum nutrition has some really great protein powders

it could be a little more costly, but the taste is worth it

I just ordered a 10lb tub of Scivation Chocolate...its not as good, but still is yummy.....much cheaper

Whey protein is good for pre and post workouts....quickly repairs your muscles with the fast acting protein
    Casein protein is good for a bedtime snack....slowly repairs muscles overnight
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits?

I have 2 every day.
    Besides the protein nutrition benefits, I'm not sure if anybody else agree's, but it satisfy's my sweet cravings.
    Twice daily I think I'm having a big chocolate ice cream shake, sometimes with banana, sometimes with PB.
    The Orange Creme flavor tastes like a dreamcicle!
    That I will have to look for next time.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    What are the benefits?

I have 2 every day.
    Besides the protein nutrition benefits, I'm not sure if anybody else agree's, but it satisfy's my sweet cravings.
    Twice daily I think I'm having a big chocolate ice cream shake, sometimes with banana, sometimes with PB.

my casein-pb shake is my treat every night! Its sooo good
  • trisuzy
    trisuzy Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for all your info on protein. I have a friend that is a body builder and kept recomending I try Isopro protein powder-know I know why. I do some triathlons and work out a lot so protein shakes make me feel better before and after a workout. Thanks again!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I drink Protein shakes and eat protein bars- Its away for me to get quick snacks. I also make oatmeal and protein pancakes.

I use 100% whey from GNC I think its like 120 calories for 1 scoop 5 grams of carbs 20 something grams of protein.

Most people don't get the correct amount of protein in a day. So I use the bars and shakes to help me and even thats not enough.

But it always best to get your protein from food rather than shakes. but I still drink shakes and eat the bars. Just becareful of the bars alot of them are just glorified candy bars you have to watch the sugar content
  • April0815
    Options

I just ordered a 10lb tub of Scivation Chocolate...its not as good, but still is yummy.....much cheaper

Whey protein is good for pre and post workouts....quickly repairs your muscles with the fast acting protein

Where do you purchase your gold standard protein? I bought mine from the gym, when I went on their site is was cheaper. Also GNC online had it on sale too. What flavors of that brand have you tried. I tried the double chocolate and vanilla ice cream both are very good. I do the two a day one post workout and one right before bed. Sometimes just to change the flavor up I will add a lil almond extract to the shake.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Where do you purchase your gold standard protein? I bought mine from the gym, when I went on their site is was cheaper. Also GNC online had it on sale too. What flavors of that brand have you tried. I tried the double chocolate and vanilla ice cream both are very good. I do the two a day one post workout and one right before bed. Sometimes just to change the flavor up I will add a lil almond extract to the shake.

I am an online shopper when it comes to certain stuff. Bodybuilding.com has some great prices and ships faster than anyone I ever seen

I had the vanilla ice cream, chocolate, strawberry.....and their chocolate casein

they were all great but noticed the vanilla getting a little tiring for me.....

Try a little natural pb in your shake, its really good and fills you up too!
  • April0815
    Options

I am an online shopper when it comes to certain stuff. Bodybuilding.com has some great prices and ships faster than anyone I ever seen

I had the vanilla ice cream, chocolate, strawberry.....and their chocolate casein

they were all great but noticed the vanilla getting a little tiring for me.....

Try a little natural pb in your shake, its really good and fills you up too!

What is chocolate casein?