Wii Fit...any thoughts?

Options
Hi I have 150 pounds to lose and because of my "shape" and size I am finding it hard to find something I can physically do. I am not able to go to a gym and I have a treadmill and an elliptical at home. My daughter has a Wii (given to her 2 Christmases ago by her Dad...my ex) that she doesn't use anymore because she now has an Xbox Kinect that she got this past Christmas from Grandma. She keeps the Xbox in her room and it would be hard for me to use that while it's in her room so I'm thinking the Wii could work for me in the living room but I don't really know that much about Wii Fit.

Thanks for any input :)

Replies

• echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii! There are lots of games with varying intensity levels that you can use for exercise :)
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wii fit is a good place to start. At some point, if you could convince her to move her Kinect into the living room, that would be great. I have used both and the Kinect is far superior to me because you don't have to use any type of controller. I highly recommend My Shape Fitness Evolved on the Kinect. If you are really out of shape, though, the Wii will be a good start and most of all, you will have fun so you will be more likely to continue.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We have a Wil, and I have used Wii Fit, Wii Active (my favorite), Just Dance 3 is pretty good too. Plus we have a ton of other games that you can get active with. You may need the wii balance board for some of the fit and active ones, but I think with the active, there is an option for not using it.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The Wii is great for getting some activity in throughout the day. I have the Wii Fit game and it has some fun activities within the game that will get your heart rate going. Some of my favorites are Hula Hooping, Wii Run, Step, and Obstacle Course. It also has Yoga & Strength.

The Just Dance games are great too - especially if you can get someone to play with you like your daughter. They're a blast and you don't even realize you're exercising.

Enjoy!
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also love my Wii! I started off with the Wii Fit and then have moved into other games from there. My current love is the Zumba 2 game! Wishing you nothing but the best and feel free to add my as a friend!!
  • lthomas2541
    Options
    I have the Wii and love using it for Zumba! Its a great workout and you can go at your own pace until you build up the stamina to be able to complete the entire workout!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Most of the Wii Fit exercises are pretty low impact and easy to manage if you're just starting out.
  • smcash2529
    Options
    I just started wii fit and ive had it since it came out! I love doing it because after every exercise it tells you how many calories you have burned and keeps a time of how long you have exercised! plus you can get your kids and friends to do it with you. I wish you luck and hope you enjoy your wii as much as i do!! :smile: :
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's a great starting point. If you've never been athletic before in life, it's excellent for teaching you basics, helping you move your body better, helping your balance, etc. As you get more advanced you'll need to move on to more advanced exercises that the fit just doesn't do. But for now, excellent choice!

Oh, and it's tons of fun!
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love our Wii, too! I only use wii fit plus for exercise on it ( i have the one from EA sports but haven't tried it yet)... The hula hoop game is amazing! Do that one with your best effort a few times and you'll feel it!

I also like some of the toning exercises, especially jackknife! :)

Oh, and the running one is good, the rhythym kung fu is more fun that exercise (my son LOVES that one!)

But i think it's a great place to start fitness!!
    ...i'm going to try to get the zumba on ebay or somewhere; i'm hearing a lot about that one~!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exerbeat has several activities: Boxing, Karate, Pilates, Yoga, Dance. There should be something here you can do. It starts off pretty slow, but once you've gained enough points it picks up (longer workouts available).

Walk it Out! is not a big calorie burner (although some people actually use this while on a treadmill or rebounder). This "game" has you walk around an island & collect points to "buy" music (120 songs) houses, bridges, trees, etc. This is mindless & totally addicting. The instruction manual is poor .... go to Amazon thread re: WIO frequently asked questions for better information.

Everything I've read says Wii Fit Plus is a better game. I'm looking at that one myself.
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hate the Wii fit. I like the Wii- I like Just Dance, but the Wii fit....ugh! I think it was a waste of money. I was trying to find something that I could use when I was feeling really out of shape and wanted some guidance. I actually found the Wii Fit offensive and demotivating. The first time I got on to the balance board for the profile set up, it told me that I was obese...then made a clunky noise and took my little Mii character that you use on all of the games and made it fat! I was already aware that I was obese, I didn't need my little cartoon character to reinforce that fact. Then there was this strange "balance" game, which by the time I figured it out, was over. It told me that my Wii fit age was 93.
    But I'd spent all of this money on the wii fit so i really tried to use it. I set up exercise routines using some of the strength training moves, but the instructor goes through how to do each move, even if you've already done it multiple times - so it takes 2x as long to get through the routine, as it would if i just followed a workout video. The only thing that I can say I liked about the wii fit was the indicator that showed your balance - if you're trying to do yoga moves, it does help you to stabilize.
    Finally, I gave up on the wii fit because I just couldn't get into it. About 2 months ago I got back on the wii fit - and I did my profile again (i guess I'm a glutton for punishment). I had lost 35 lbs at this point. The wii fit was nice enough to say... "It took longer than expected to reach your goal...but better late than never" (I swear, I'm not making this up).
    Anyway, I do like Just Dance - and you don't need the Wii fit to do that - you can just use the Wii. I'd try some of the games that don't require the wii fit balance board if you're looking to save some money - you can spend the money on different games rather than the wii fit.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit can be good, but not the answer.

Going outside and walking is better, IMO.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have several different exercise games for the wii..... ZUMBA is by far my favorite!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I got a Wii Fit about a month ago. I enjoy it but find myself just doing the same activities over and over (pretty much Rhythm Boxing all the time). It is fun though most of the time.

I don't know if this will sound...eh...You have a lot to lose...I would double check that you aren't too heavy for the balance board. The weight limit is rather low as I remember (around 300 lbs I think). I don't know what you're weight is but I would assume if you have 150 lbs to lose you're somewhere near that area...so just double check the weight limit first before spending the money on it.

With that said...if you aren't able to do other exercises, get to a gym, go jogging, etc. Then do the Wii fit. I definitely don't think for most people doing just the wii fit is going to ensure you reach your goals...but some exercise is better than no exercise. So go for it!
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Its a great place to start, wii fit has a good feal and motivation to it ( lol yes the Obese ranking I could have lived without and I swear it says OHHH when I step on the board ), all the exercises are very low impact even the running is pretty low impact, for someone really out of shape its a good starter and your knees wont be killing you the next day. You can spend 30 mintues doing a variety of things and not overdo any one of them but at the end feel like you've gotten a workout, not sweating panting workout but tired and warmed up nicly workout The drawback is its also limited and within a month or two you will probably be ready for something more challenging but to just start out I would recomend it, helps avoid last thing you want which is to go out and overdo it on a treadmill have your knees hurt for the next 2 weeks
  • mariuch11
    mariuch11 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, I really do appreciate it <3
  • mariuch11
    mariuch11 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi :) I am 274.5 and yes I did check the weight limit...that was the first thing I checked. As for the gym that's not an option right now. I have a 2 year old and no one to watch him so that I can go to the gym. The only gym in my area that offers childcare is very expensive for me and how do I say this...both the staff and the other members are not friendly towards people my size...I know this because I received a free 2 week trial to it and I went to check it out and I was the only "fat" person there. It was mostly girls dressed overly sexy to be "working out" and they mostly spent thier time flirting with the guys who are lifting weights, never actually saw them do anything. I got awful looks and there was whispering and staring and such and at the time I was only 200 pounds. I went faithfully for the whole 2 weeks at different times to get a feel for the "best" time for me to go and not be uncomfortable and it was the same everytime. I had a trainer help me get situated with a routine and showed me how to use the machines but he was very rude, the next time I got a female trainer and she was too busy flirting with a co worker to give me any real attention, I simply wasn't worth thier time. I did talk to the manager and shared my experience and he was an absolute *kitten*. I was told that his gym was not meant for someone like me...seriously. sorry for that rant...lol
    I got a Wii Fit about a month ago. I enjoy it but find myself just doing the same activities over and over (pretty much Rhythm Boxing all the time). It is fun though most of the time.

I don't know if this will sound...eh...You have a lot to lose...I would double check that you aren't too heavy for the balance board. The weight limit is rather low as I remember (around 300 lbs I think). I don't know what you're weight is but I would assume if you have 150 lbs to lose you're somewhere near that area...so just double check the weight limit first before spending the money on it.

With that said...if you aren't able to do other exercises, get to a gym, go jogging, etc. Then do the Wii fit. I definitely don't think for most people doing just the wii fit is going to ensure you reach your goals...but some exercise is better than no exercise. So go for it!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I am 274.5 and yes I did check the weight limit...that was the first thing I checked. As for the gym that's not an option right now. I have a 2 year old and no one to watch him so that I can go to the gym. The only gym in my area that offers childcare is very expensive for me and how do I say this...both the staff and the other members are not friendly towards people my size...I know this because I received a free 2 week trial to it and I went to check it out and I was the only "fat" person there. It was mostly girls dressed overly sexy to be "working out" and they mostly spent thier time flirting with the guys who are lifting weights, never actually saw them do anything. I got awful looks and there was whispering and staring and such and at the time I was only 200 pounds. I went faithfully for the whole 2 weeks at different times to get a feel for the "best" time for me to go and not be uncomfortable and it was the same everytime. I had a trainer help me get situated with a routine and showed me how to use the machines but he was very rude, the next time I got a female trainer and she was too busy flirting with a co worker to give me any real attention, I simply wasn't worth thier time. I did talk to the manager and shared my experience and he was an absolute *kitten*. I was told that his gym was not meant for someone like me...seriously. sorry for that rant...lol

I know! Around the same time that I was buying the Wii fit, I had the same experience at the gym. I asked some muscle head to help me move some plates off of one of the machines - and in my younger pre-mommy days - people were always nice about it. He was so rude. He looked me up and down like I was some kind of slug and then said "I'm trying to work out here!!!" I was so dispirited - and that guy really was an a**. But I felt like it was because I was overweight. Also, I tried to do a spin class, and as I was going into the spin room - a woman (who worked at the gym) looked my up and down and said, in a worried voice...."Are you SURE you want to do this?" as though I was going to have a heart attack right on the spot. Meanwhile, while I was pregnant and going to the gym to do water exercise, people would offer to carry my bags, and were generally nice (though I think the manager might have been afraid I was going to deliver on the way to the locker room). I ended up just buying a spin bike that I do at home, the wii fit (that is when I got the obese mii - i swear, i almost threw the balance board out of our living room window), Just Dance, and my Method Precision Pilates video.
    Why are people such total jerks? It's not like you're going to inadvertantly eat them because they resemble a turkey leg or anything.