Headache after running

Options
Every time I run I have a headache for the rest of the day. I have just started running, so when I say every time I mean, 3 times now. :laugh: I don't feel like I am over doing it, I go 4.5-5mph and only run 1 1/4 mile and walk before/after to equal about 2.5 miles averaging 2.5-3.5mph. I run on the treadmill and run on an empty stomache in the morning. Any ideas if this is normal?

Replies

• Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    its mostly likely not staying hydrated or breathing right. if its something else then not sure sorry
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Are you hydrating enough before, during & after your run?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    is it possible that you are dehydrated? It is an important cause of headache.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink before I go because I wake up and go right to the Y. I drink maybe 4oz while running/walking because if I drink more I get a really bad side ache. I drink about 64-80oz of water daily though, so after I drink plenty.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    My first thought was dehydration. Maybe chug a glass right before you leave to go to the Y? Maybe hydrating before will prevent the headache but not cause cramping.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you don't drink before, and only 4 ounces during, this is probably why you're getting headaches. You're body is already dehydrated from having nothing all night. You are making the situation worse when you run. Try to get in 8-16 ounces before leaving the house and at least that much again during your run. And double that following the run, more if you can't get in much while running. I have a brita sports bottle, it works great to get a squirt of water while running on the treadmill. It will help prevent those annoying stitches in your side too.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone! I will try drinking more before I go on Wed. :happy:
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Definitely drinking more before your run would probably help. If you still have a headache, try to make sure breakfast after your run is really balanced of carbs, fat, protein so that your body gets whatever it might be needing!
  • amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am extremely headache prone, and had the same issue when I started running. You might try eating something small before you run. Otherwise you might consider giving your body a little time to get accustomed to the shock of running - you may feel like you're not overdoing it, but the headaches may continue unless you ease into running by including more walking for a while. That was what worked for me. Taking some ibuprofen prior to your run can help as well, but if you're doing it several times a week you risk rebound headaches (basically medicine withdrawal.) Hope you find a solution!
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I used to get this all the time. My brother talked to me about loosening up my muscles when I'm working out because that's what he had to learn in the army. I realized that I was clenching my teeth and keeping my shoulders really tense. I've made more of an effort to relax the muscles in my face, arms, and shoulders, and it has really helped. Maybe you're doing this subconsciously?

Yeah, and water. I also get a bad pain in my side if I drink much right before I work out. Try taking a few minutes before you leave to drink a full glass of water and give it ten minutes or so to settle. Use this time for stretching, warming up, etc.