Healthiest alcoholic beverages

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious, what are the healthiest alcoholic beverages that you all know of? So far I was delighted to find out that a martini made with gin and vermouth (sans olive) is a mere 90 calories, and a gin+tonic comes out to about ~175. I normally don't drink very much when I go out, but I remember seeing some horror stories about how unhealthy most mixed drinks are on the news (some had 700-800 calories in *one* serving!) and I'd like to know what is 'ok' versus what will destroy my efforts for a day with just a sip.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    Just curious, what are the healthiest alcoholic beverages that you all know of? So far I was delighted to find out that a martini made with gin and vermouth (sans olive) is a mere 90 calories, and a gin+tonic comes out to about ~175. I normally don't drink very much when I go out, but I remember seeing some horror stories about how unhealthy most mixed drinks are on the news (some had 700-800 calories in *one* serving!) and I'd like to know what is 'ok' versus what will destroy my efforts for a day with just a sip.
  • ksukaro
    ksukaro Posts: 29
    Options
    First of all, you can have to laugh, because healthiest aclholic beverages is kind of an oxymoron. But when I go for the low calorie drinks, I stick to gin & tonics or Michelob Ultra, I also hear that the lowest calorie drink is vodka and club soda, add a splash of cranberry juice for extra flavor if needed.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stick to MIller Lite when I go out. It has 96 calories and 3.2 carbs. I used to drink vodka and coke, but now I try to avoid the coke, and since I can't handle vodka without a sweet flavor, I've gone back to the beer. I should try the vodka tonic with a splash of cran though, that might be good.
  • lovemuffins
    Options
    If you are a beer drinker Miller makes a new MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) Light Beer with only 64 calories and 2.4 carbs per/bottle.

They also make Miller Chill with 110 calories! If you are a Carona drinker I highly suggest you try this one. It is yummy and you don't need to add the extra lime!!!

:drinker: Cheers :drinker:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A shot of something like vodka or rum with diet soda mixers aren't too bad. For example a vodka and diet coke
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep - don't think you can get lower than a clear alcohol with a diet pop mixer!

Vodka with diet sprite and lime would be tasty, and I would think to be the lowest cal drink going!

Enjoy!
    :drinker:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Calories are really irrelevant when it comes to Alcohol. It is the quantity you drink. If you have more than 2 drinks your body releases an enzyme called Acetate (i Think that's the spelling) which stops your body from breaking down fat for 48 hours.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    I love vodka w/ diet sprite, but good luck trying to find that in a bar. :cry:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Good point Kai - your looking at diet coke as the only option in the bar, for sure! (or cran juice with soda)....
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Wine is a good option!! Usually under 100 cal per glass and you get the health benefits of the red wine too! :)

I like that or a light beer sometimes.
  • msarro
    Options
    Calories are really irrelevant when it comes to Alcohol. It is the quantity you drink. If you have more than 2 drinks your body releases an enzyme called Acetate (i Think that's the spelling) which stops your body from breaking down fat for 48 hours.

I'm going to look into this... by 'drink' are you using the standard 12oz of beer, 1.5oz shot of liqour, and 5oz glass of wine? At least that means I can still have my martinis once in awhile!

My gosh, I just saw that a long island iced tea has 507 CALORIES!? :noway: