I...NEED.... HELP? !!!

Options
Okay :) I started off in December on MFP. On a roll, lost 7lbs by Jan 11th ! Good for me, an then BAM! Lost motivation had a lot of family problems go on. Etc Etc. Tried to jump back on the wagon an can't now I am stuck. I work Mon-Fri 9am-5:30pm excited its lighter out longer. This makes me happy so ill squeeze in some walks now after work. But I start beauty school next month. So i will be working monday thru friday, getting off at 4:30 instead of 5:30 monday-thur so i can go to school monday-thur 5pm-10pm.... How can i fit diet and exercise in? my plan was to eat exactly my limit 1250 cals monday-thursday and workout friday-sunday but idk?

HELP!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Can you squeeze in a workout in the mornings? Jillian Michaels has a bunch of DVD's that have workouts about 22 minutes long. And it's a fantastic workout when you follow it. I'm working on the 30 day shred. Kicking my butt. And I average 250 calories burned when I do it (via HRM). Great for people that don't have a lot of time.

Diet, since you will need to preplan lunch and dinner, it will become easier. On days you cook, cook extra and freeze them as single portions. Bam, there's lunch. Have a sandwich for dinner. Planning is the key to being successful when busy!
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well, its definitely going to be more difficult than it was but certainly not impossible. Sounds like you are going to have to do a lot of pre-planning / pre-packing of meals so you can just grab and go and not have to make a bad decision. Do you get a lunch hour at work? If so, could you go take a walk and then eat lunch at your desk (not sure what type of job you have)? Just try to be creative. Keep workout clothes with you so if class is ever cancelled, you have everything you need with you. And work it on the weekends. Good luck! :)
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Don't forget all those activities you're doing IS exercise! And treat it that way. Make sure you keep hydrated and eat enough too. You will be burning a lot of cals being active alone.

It's also real easy to grab bad food when yoou're on the go so take some good food with lots of protien not just carbs.

Then when you find some time or your days off lift some weights, do some squats every time you go pee, do some little stuff for half your lunch break....

Good luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There are people that work two jobs and raise children on their own and they still find time to eat right and exercise.
  • playsallyplay
    Options
    Can you walk at lunch or on your breaks? I've been doing that and I find that it helps give me energy for the rest of my work day. It helps if you can find a friend at work to walk with you too. Don't worry you'll get it back. I did the same thing - Good luck!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you'll find a way. What are you doing right now for the time being? Your diary is blank.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You just kinda... do it...

or, make excuses...

And don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of option B... which is why I'm fat and can't walk half a mile without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. *Cheers!*
  • Tmdesir
    Tmdesir Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids (6 & 4) my hubby works nights, I work full time during the day and the girls have activies 4 nights out of the week. I go to the gym every day from 4:30am to 6 am. It's a great time no one is there. This is what works best for me. Good luck!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    have you ever though of working out in the morning before work. Thats what I do.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids (6 & 4) my hubby works nights, I work full time during the day and the girls have activies 4 nights out of the week. I go to the gym every day from 4:30am to 6 am. It's a great time no one is there. This is what works best for me. Good luck!

^ This is dedication. Well done.

This is also why almost every time someone says "I don't have time", I think it means "I dont want it badly enough".

Not always, but most of the time.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Use your time left wisely and learn to discipline yourself. Eventually you will learn to MULTITASK. That is very important for you! Or else, like someone else said, you will only make excuses. No body here knows your life better than you, so in the end it's up to you to find that balance, but if you need support and motivation along the way, this site and ppl in here are the best way to turn to.
    Keep it up!!! :)
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about it. I have about 13-15lbs to lose and from there I want to just be healthy and toned. I would like to stay 130-135lbs and ill be happy! I thought about workouts in the morning . But i would have to shower right after then my hair, (is a whole other story) and my work is strict about dress code & being professionally put together. However these are good ideas. I am done making excuses done it the past 5 years. My life is changing quickly. I have two beautiful children, a loving husband a good job and I am finally getting to go to school for something I love. This is my time now you know
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am also really busy at the mo becuase I'm moving house and decorating is a nightmare! Anyway, I agree with the comments above about planning, its all in the planning! If i don't have my lunch with me I go to the canteen and get chips - big no no for me!!!

I get up super early and exercise in the morning, I do just dance or wii fit - that way I can roll out of bed and do it straight away, no making myself go to the gym. I can do 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 44 minutes 67 minutes, whatever I like! Now its getting lighter I want to start running though. I walk at lunch if I don't do anything in the morning.

It will be hard wih you being so busy but perhaps try to look at the posisitves, as you won't be at home watching TV you might not eat badly either, perhaps you won't snack in the evening - I don't know if you did that , I do!

anyway, good luck in youyr diet and at school!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well I'll tell you this right now....you need to plan a hell of a lot more to get this to work with your schedule. I know from experience.

I work two jobs myself and generally total 70 hour weeks. Sunday is my only day off and I put two hours aside to sit down and really plan the week as best as I can...we're talking to the point of counting out almonds and putting them in a snack bag. If you don't have a good size lunch bag, get one. I make everything from hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken breast, lentils, mini egg quiches, bag all my fruits and snacks in the correct portions and have several water bottles that I keep at my desk, in the car. I try to walk on my lunches and nights I don't have to work, I go to the gym. Many mornings if I wake up early, I go in my workout room, pop in a DVD and do some exercises (P90, Jillian stuff, etc). My goal for the summer (as the second job will slow down) is to get to the gym in the mornings again...and I can totally relate to the dress code thing but again, buy some things to make your life easier, a decent gym bag and you'll be well on your way!

It takes some determiniation and commitment but you can do this and make it work!

Good Luck!
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    The secret for me is planning ahead. I pack up lunch and healthy snacks the night before so I won't be tempted to grab whatever's available when I'm in a hurry and get hungry. I keep clementines, apples, pomegrantaes, granola bars, Laughing Cow light cheese wedges and flat bread in my snack drawer so if I ate everything in there it would only be like 500 calories. I have a clemintine and a granola bar in my purse too for snacking on the go.

It's super easy to sneak in extra walking. Everytime you go to the store (or park anywhere) park at the far end of the lot and walk quickly to whereever you're going. It's about a tenth of a mile at most big box type stores. When I worked downtown, I used to park 7-8 blocks from my office which gave me an automatic 4 miles of walking everyday.

You can do it with a little planning. Good luck!
  • Michelle7903
    Options
    Planning, Planning. That's the most important. Usually on Sat / Sunday's I plan all meals including snacks for the entire week. Then each night I pack my lunch box for the next day. I even go as far as to measure out my cereal and milk and leave it in the refrigerator so I dont have to think about it. Then usually in the morning I try to log everything I plan to eat into MFP and modify as I go along (if needed). This way, if I get tempted I look at where I end up and say nope if I deviate from that; it will ruin my day and I'll reget it.
    Try buying things that are pre-packed snacks. I like the Blue Diamond 100 Calorie Natural Almonds. they are awesome and even my daughter loves them! I always have 3 or 4 bags in my purse..so if I'm at a doctor's appt or something and its time for a snack I don't have to think / worry about what to get.

Also, I work out at 5:30 a.m. I use Jillian Michaels 30 dy shred and it works great. I do it while my daughter is still asleep. If I miss the monrnig then I try to catch up at night. Then I try to go to the gym on the weekends or do something outside.
    Good Luck !! You can do it
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. You can do this. But, it will take a little organization. you'll need to plan you rmeals and make the time to make them and portion them to take with you as you go from work to school. Definitely make the time, if for no other reason that you need to eat right to keep yourself energized for your daily, busy routine.

Next, all movement is good movement. At school you'll be standing a lot, which is definitely better than sitting. Find ways to add extra steps into your day. Park (during daylight hours, of course) far from the door. Sprint from the door to your car. Dance in place as you do the dishes. Do major exercise when you can, but every little step you take each and every day will help you be as healthy as you can be.

And, don't stress when you have an occasional food or exercise setback. You're human. Log your food every day and do the best you can.
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    u just have to push urself and stop making excuses!

i work two jobs and go to school full time
    some days im out the house at 6am and back home past midnight

sundays i usually cook and freeze and prepack meals for the next few days
    i started eating a lot of fruits and always carry them with me

sometimes i work out in the mornings on my busiest days
    and even when im way too tired, i still manage to do at least some ab workout before bedtime, since thats my main target

somedays i have to baby sit my 4 year old nephew
    and i take him to work out with me at the park
    he's a kid and never minds
    always thinks its a game

so take the kids too and make it happen
    i know u can do it!!!!
  • elijah39
    elijah39 Posts: 4
    Options
    Do you eat back the calories that are loss during exercise?