How did you feel from Day 1 till Now...

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Im just in the beginning of my journey, and my emotions have been a roller coaster. The before and after pictures have showed me that in the beginning Im not the only one that looked sad. Im just curious as to have your feelings have changed about yourself from Day 1 till now or from Day 1 till you reached your goal? Was it a big change, small, no change?

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Cool topic. :)

I had told a really good friend just two mornings ago that while waiting in the checkout line, I realized for the first time in 4 years I was not embarrassed about my body anymore. I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time but decided not to freak out the other shoppers. :) Intense work in the gym and massive changes to how I've been eating in the last 12 weeks are finally showing results.

I reached my goal weight last month but still have a long way to go before I get the body I want. At this moment, though, I am pleased as heck and the changes are driving me even harder towards my final goal. I also have much more energy than I used to. I walk helluva lot faster. I sleep better most of the time.

Don't abandon ship no matter where your emotional roller coaster takes you. Stay the course and tell yourself every day that you are doing this for you and you alone.

Best of luck. :)
  • xYumzx
    Options
    Cool topic. :)

I had told a really good friend just two mornings ago that while waiting in the checkout line, I realized for the first time in 4 years I was not embarrassed about my body anymore. I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time but decided not to freak out the other shoppers. :) Intense work in the gym and massive changes to how I've been eating in the last 12 weeks are finally showing results.

I reached my goal weight last month but still have a long way to go before I get the body I want. At this moment, though, I am pleased as heck and the changes are driving me even harder towards my final goal. I also have much more energy than I used to. I walk helluva lot faster. I sleep better most of the time.

Don't abandon ship no matter where your emotional roller coaster takes you. Stay the course and tell yourself every day that you are doing this for you and you alone.

Best of luck. :)

Thats awesome! And yes thats what I plan on telling myself everyday. =)
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I can't get over the difference in how I feel! Health wise, I can do so much more. I haven't gotten sick ONCE since beginning this. I have more energy, and I even sleep way better.

Confidence wise, it's amazing! I've dropped from a 14/16 to a 10 - a size I haven't seen since my freshman year in college. My husband, family and friends are all noticing and admiring the changes in myself. I am more comfortable in my clothes AND in pictures. I feel like I look like ME again.

I feel awesome. No, I'm not a goal yet. Yes, there are still things about my body I am not thrilled with, and I get self conscious and down on myself sometimes. But on the whole, I've done a mental 360.
  • JMehl135
    JMehl135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know when my realization really came but it was almost like all of a sudden I finally loved how I looked. I won't lie when I first started I hated it. I was sitting there thinking this is going to be just like every other time were I try for 2 weeks and then give up. It's hard to change the way you eat if you have been eating as crappy as I was for so long. Also you may not feel like you are seeing results either in the mirror or on the scale so you start wondering if its worth it. Let me tell you...IT IS. I'm not to my goal weight but I am finally proud of how I look. At the beginning of my journey I read a blog post on here that said "you didn't gain all the weight overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight". And that's the theme I stuck with. Don't get discouraged. Know that you aren't alone on the emotional roller coaster and know that one day you will realize you love the change you've made! Good luck!
  • xYumzx
    Options
    Those are very inspiring changes, im in the feeling great one day bad the next and then a few inbetweens.. ugh
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think that I've mostly felt very good about what I'm doing for myself.

I did have this revelation at my last weigh in: "I've lost 16 pounds. OH MY G*D - I have so far to go!!!!!!!!!!" and then, "How did it ever get this bad?!?!?"

But you know what I do when I have momentary freak outs? I get on my bike. I pedal a little harder. I try to just keep focused.

Then I feel better again.

It's a process for sure. I try not to focus on the short term, but instead think of how I'm going to look and feel six months from now or a year from now, as I stick to my newly formed good habits.

Good luck!
  • xYumzx
    Options
    I think that I've mostly felt very good about what I'm doing for myself.

I did have this revelation at my last weigh in: "I've lost 16 pounds. OH MY G*D - I have so far to go!!!!!!!!!!" and then, "How did it ever get this bad?!?!?"

But you know what I do when I have momentary freak outs? I get on my bike. I pedal a little harder. I try to just keep focused.

Then I feel better again.

It's a process for sure. I try not to focus on the short term, but instead think of how I'm going to look and feel six months from now or a year from now, as I stick to my newly formed good habits.

Good luck!

I had a very bad couple of weeks but todays my new fresh beginning
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I never really felt bad and my health wasn't suffering. It was more the when I went shopping I didn't like the way I was starting to look in the things I love or wanted to buy. Now shopping is fun...I still feel great, but now my outside matches my inside. :)
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That is a great question for someone starting out. I've lost over 20 pounds since mid Nov. and feel great. Outside of arthritis which is from Purine levels being out of whack from the weight loss. I used to pop tums like candy but since I've lost 20 pounds have not needed them as much. Also I feel much stronger and ready to attack the day. Your weight loss journey is a marathon. You may see drastic weight loss at first and things will slow. Just a matter of sticking with it on exercise and diet. It is really worth the life style change.
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I "started" on January 20th and things went really good for about a month and a half. Recently I'm struggling because I know I used to use food to deal with emotions and now that the food isn't there I'm feeling those feelings I was trying to hide.

It's a process I guess and we just have to make it one moment at a time.

Best of luck!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    To start, change your tracker to show the weight you have lost versus how much weight you have to go. You have lost weight, but even with your tracker looks like you are focusing on how far you have to go. I wouldn't change that until you are pass your half way point. You need to always remember how far you have come on your journey so far.

Whenever you get depressed, look at a lb of butter. A lb doeesn't seem like much until you take a look at one. That is gone. That is how I look at it when I'm only losing about 1lb per week. If you get really depressed, go to the store and grab a pound for each pound you have lost. Even if it is only 3 or 5 lbs, it adds up.

I feel a lot better now. I changed my lifestyle and while it is not the best yet, I easily eat and/or exercise the amount of calories for someone around my goal weight. At some point, that means I will weigh that weight. In the meantime, I just work on eating better and exercising more or challanging myself more. Instead of a diet, it is my new lifestyle.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 70 pounds in 3 years. Granted, the first 30-40ish of those were from getting off prednisone, but it still happened. I look back on those pictures ocassionally as a reminder that I was in such a rut. And every time I feel bad about how I look now, I pull out one of those pictures. Yes, I was that big because of a medical issue, but I didn't do anything to help.

I wish I could say my health is better, but I do have serious medical issues that will flare up. They haven't since I got serious about working out and getting into shape (about 9 weeks ago), and I know I feel better on a day to day basis.

The day I woke up and looked in the mirror to see the SMALLEST bit of definition in my arms was an AMAZING day. The day wearing high heels didn't feel so much like torture, AMAZING DAY. The day I realized that while my legs aren't as toned as I want them to be, they look damn good in a dress/skirt, I nearly cried. I still have bad days, but hearing how much respect people have for me for staying dedicated REALLY helps. I mean, think about it. YOU are choosing to start over and do this, instead of giving up. That is a HUGE accomplishment! You can do this!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm almost to goal...about 5 lbs away, and they are going to come off VERY slowly...so I feel I can respond to this.

I didn't have terribly much to lose...only about 24 lbs total. Before I started this journey, I was really discouraged and depressed about the way that I looked. I was always very slender growing up, and it wasn't until my early twenties that I started to pack weight on. Around Thanksgiving 2011, I realized I had crossed the BMI line into being "overweight" for the first time in my life. Of course, this led to emotional eating.
    Then, come Christmas 2011, I decided to start to make changes. It was frustrating at first, because the weight didn't just fall off quickly in those first few weeks. But I persevered. And I noticed the changes very slowly. Even after the first 10lbs came off, I still looked in the mirror and saw the same person that was there 10 lbs ago...

It has only been in the past 2 weeks that I've been looking in the mirror and actually seeing myself almost 20 lbs lighter. People have started to comment as well. Not every day, but at least a couple times a week someone I haven't seen for a while will take notice. Those moments keep me fueled to keep going. I have also found that I love setting fitness goals for myself. 3 months ago, there's no way that would have been happening.

Also, it's not so much about seeing a certain number on the scale anymore. I really just want to do what's right for my body, and to keep my heart, lungs and muscles healthy. In the beginning, all I cared about was meeting a certain number, but that's not so much my priority anymore! :)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    To start, change your tracker to show the weight you have lost versus how much weight you have to go. You have lost weight, but even with your tracker looks like you are focusing on how far you have to go. I wouldn't change that until you are pass your half way point. You need to always remember how far you have come on your journey so far.

Whenever you get depressed, look at a lb of butter. A lb doeesn't seem like much until you take a look at one. That is gone. That is how I look at it when I'm only losing about 1lb per week. If you get really depressed, go to the store and grab a pound for each pound you have lost. Even if it is only 3 or 5 lbs, it adds up.

I feel a lot better now. I changed my lifestyle and while it is not the best yet, I easily eat and/or exercise the amount of calories for someone around my goal weight. At some point, that means I will weigh that weight. In the meantime, I just work on eating better and exercising more or challanging myself more. Instead of a diet, it is my new lifestyle.

We are kindred spirits! I wrote a blog post last week about my grandma referring to each pound in sticks of butter (one pound = four sticks) and how motivating that always was to me! Even though she has passed away, I multiply every time I weigh and can hear her describing my weightloss in sticks. Motivating! :)
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Love this response about butter. There are several .gifs online that show how much one pound of fat is...even one that shows how much 100 lbs of fat looks like. Those are incredibly inspiring!
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    From Day 1 until now, I feel as though I am so different. My views on life have changed, and I feel as though I am finally free and joyful. I feel great and I look great. I cannot express how GREAT I feel. I dont ever want to lose this feeling, but want to enhance it each day. THis is a NEW day and a NEW season for me and I FEEL GOOD. It also shows in my life and those around me. :)
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is a good topic, because the change that this makes in our lives in sooo huge and dramatic! I started in Janurary this year and I must admit, I felt horrible. I was 170 and 5'5". In my younger years I was slender, although I have always had to work for it. But in the last five years, I got lazy and ate what I wanted, so I gained.

So in Jan I joined my local gym. I pushed myself hard and I found that even so, I wasn't losing any weight. After three weeks, I finally lost a pound. This is after working out five days a week in the mornings before work. I took measurements and found that the measurements are much more encouraging. Every week I saw a change in my measurements, although I still, two months later, have only lost 10 pounds. But I am 48 years old, so it's harder than when I was young. But that 10 pounds looks like 15 because I am so much more toned and shapely than before. I looked in the mirror this morning and couldn't believe it. I actually said out loud that I can't believe how I look. It's very exciting for me. I can do things I couldn't before, like bend over to pick something up without grunting, haha!

You may not see immediate results, but don't let that get you down! The first month you may not lose anything, but take measurements and eat right and excercise, and you will reach your goal!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Big change! I started in August and did not feel energetic. I hated getting down on the floor, because it was hard to get back up. I hated looking in the mirror, because I saw a fat body there. I became excited and enthusiastic as I began to see results. I'm still excited! I can get up and down, I can run, I can look in the mirror without cringing. I'll probably never get the facelift and tummy tuck to repair the damage I did by being overweight, but, still, I feel so much better. I'm having a lot more fun.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ive been on for this whole month, n um i see the difference in my attitude, mentality wise. Its great, i don't want to go back to my old ways.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    I "started" on January 20th and things went really good for about a month and a half. Recently I'm struggling because I know I used to use food to deal with emotions and now that the food isn't there I'm feeling those feelings I was trying to hide.

It's a process I guess and we just have to make it one moment at a time.

Best of luck!
    I started January 15th... And im in the same boat
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!