Diabetics, please help!

Options
I've been diabetic for 12 years. I've been told by my doctor that I need to get this under control or life is going to be very bad for me. I've been following the diet she gave me, to the T for 10 days, including taking my medications and my readings are still high. I'm eating no sugar and about 5-7 servings of carbs a day. I'm mostly eating lean proteins and green leafy veggies.

Any suggestions? I'm really frustrated because when I've followed similar diets plans in the past, I've seen immediate results. makes me want to say screw it and eat what I want.

Replies

• rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey Leeska,

I am not diabetic. But, I wanted to tell you not to give up!

My wife was researching whey protien(wich we already use) and found a lot of studies unrelated to just muscle wellness. Please ask your doctor and do some research yourself on it first.

It is very healthy, and has made my wife and I feel energetic and just generaly happy.

Also, she ha bad stomach problems. To a point of ulcers and acid reflux. She has been eating whey shakes for about a month and totaly feels better. That's why she was researching it. She wanted to know why she felt so good. That plus exercising
  • cherylfromboji
    cherylfromboji Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Look into ordering the PINK Method.......my better half is on it with diabetis and no longer needs meds. It's basically lean protein and veggies and a small amount of carbs and exercise - you will be amazed......you will be cured!!!
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Look into ordering the PINK Method.......my better half is on it with diabetis and no longer needs meds. It's basically lean protein and veggies and a small amount of carbs and exercise - you will be amazed......you will be cured!!!

You look a little like Jamie Lee Curtis:)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    the type and quantity of carbs could be a factor - are you weighing/measuring?
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I do....send me a message. Type 2 for 12 years.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I presume you are type 2?
    I have better results when I incorporate some exercise. I'm told in ameliorates insulin resistance, but I just know the meter goes down.
    To be frank, I stopped worrying about the carbohydrates and concentrated on the weight loss, (overall diet and exercise) and I am now off all of my Bg meds (I was on Metformin, Omglyza, glimepiride).
    That said, I am now having to take a slightly closer look at my carb and sugar intake now, but I still can control the slight elevations with exercise.
    Good luck to you. It has been about 12 years for me too, but I will pray that you can accomplish this.
  • Kaleonar
    Kaleonar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trying keeping a food diary that tracks carbs (weigh & measure everything) and a blood sugar diary. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 30 years and found that the time I eat along with the type of carb I eat can give me different results. The only way to try to start understanding is to record everything and TALK to your doctor. I have even eaten the same thing several days in a row to understand what is going on. Also, test prior to meals, often times if you are high and then eat it just climbs and climbs.
  • kikipoogeorge
    Options
    Hi. I am also type 2 and have been for a number of years. I am also working on getting the numbers better and feeling better. I have found that exercise makes a huge difference; as well as the eating. The dieticians here (BC) won't give me a "diet" anymore as they say that the only real way to see how foods affect you is to keep a journal and check your sugars. I have found that to be very true as things that should shoot my sugars through the roof aren't bad and things that I wouldn't think would be that bad shoot them higher. I have also found that when I ate too little my sugars increased. I joined here mainly to use as a tool for doing my journaling; but am also enjoying reading the posts and learning from others. Good luck... never give up:-)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You don't need to pay for any plan. Keep doing what you are doing. Follow the lean protein and leafy greens plan. Take the meds. Give your body a chance to adjust AND lose some weight. Add to what you are doing - PLENTY of EXERCISE. It will come down.
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    you will be cured!!!

No cure EVER for diabetes. Once a diabetic always a diabetic, just better control. But I am sure you know that! :happy:

I am a type 2 diabetic. I would talk to your doctor FIRST. Let her know what you are telling MFP. . . no results. One issue (this is what I have been told by my doc) is that the longer you go uncontrolled the harder is will be to see results. I am here. I have been a diabetic since March 12, 2007. Girl, I hate this. I suck at it. I constantly battle. But, I be damned if I do not see my kids grow up. And I really like the way my feet look so I would love to keep them forever.

But I am here and I am working on this EVERYDAY! Here are the steps that I have done. And I do this everyday! I wake up and go for it because the alternative is not an option for me. You can do this. You can win this battle. But please, take it slow and take it step by step. Stress for diabetics is not good.

First step, get you numbers under control. Taking on too much at one time will overwhelm you and you give up. (I did)

Step two, sit down and make a plan. Pre-plan meals, snacks, and exercise. Measure EVERYTHING until you know what a basic serving size is. I was told to eat every 3 to 4 hours. Main reason as it helps to stabilize your sugar. I have noticed that when I do not eat this way (weekends) that I feel crappy.

Step three, journal, journal , journal. Very important to write it down. Write what you eat, how many calories, carbs. Write down what type of exercise and how long. Write when you test and what that number is. Write how you are feeling. (very important, as you may notice certain things: emotional eating, happiness from exercising, etc)

Step four, have a free day. Mine is Sundays. I don't test at all. I don't over eat, but I enjoy things I typically would not and I eat it in moderation. My doc has taken me off of all breads, rice, potatoes, etc. I am still having problems lowering my numbers. But again, this is a day by day battle. I fight everyday, all day. But I will win this battle and I have many times.

I have complete faith that you can do this. Please add me as a friend. Ask any question you want and I will tell you what I have went through.

You got this! :glasses:
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food?
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging all your food on here and opening up your diary so people can make suggestions.
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    Measure your carb portions diligently. Make sure they're smart carb choices - complex, not simple carbs.

Drink all your water, and then some.

Talk to your Doctor!!!

And keep moving. Sometimes it takes awhile to start working.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You have not specified what kind of diabetic you are. If someone is giving you advice before qualifying you on that alone you should not listen. What meds are you on how much do you weigh, strength of meds and what is your A1C are important starting questions. What is your morning blood sugar etc.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 12 years. I've been told by my doctor that I need to get this under control or life is going to be very bad for me. I've been following the diet she gave me, to the T for 10 days, including taking my medications and my readings are still high. I'm eating no sugar and about 5-7 servings of carbs a day. I'm mostly eating lean proteins and green leafy veggies.

Any suggestions? I'm really frustrated because when I've followed similar diets plans in the past, I've seen immediate results. makes me want to say screw it and eat what I want.

Only thing working to lower my sugars....EXERCISE. Don't over do the carbs....stay away from the bad carbs....fill up with veggies....watch how much fruit you consume..that was hard for me, as I love it!

Bottom line though....exercise. Does not mean you have to become a world class athlete...means you have to move. Every day. Even just walking for 30-60 minutes will start helping.

None of this is a quick fix....lit is a journey. Diabetes can be controlled and you can get off medications....but, it is a lifestyle change...one that incorporates healthy eating and active bodies.

Just over a year ago, my fasting sugars were close to 200....now, they are significantly better...on the mornings after I work out...they are below 100! RARELY are they ever over 150 at this point. I went from 4 different medications to one, and hoping to get off that soon.

You will do this, just don't give up....

:bigsmile:

Edited to say, just as the above said, you should talk to your endocrinologist and or nutritionist....they can help see why the meal plan you have is not being as effective as it should.....
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is not open, we can't really tell what you're eating.... but here are some tips:

1. Being insulin resistant makes it harder to lose weight -- and if you also have PCOS its close to the impossible range. If you also have peri-menopause... well life sucks but it can be done.

2. The TYPE of carbs makes a huge difference... get rid of potato chips, cake, cookies, donuts, pancakes, waffles etc... its the refined white flour that is the problem. Learn to eat lower glycemic carbs likes lentils, nuts, quinoa, millet, amaranth, greek yogurt etc.

3. Eat lots of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, tofu), stop buying processesd foods (lean cuisine, lunch meat etc) and load up on veggies. Some of my favorite meals incluce a big scoop of quinoa with kale, mushrooms, onions, tofu, chicken etc...

In order to stay feeling full, I drink protein shakes 2-3 times a day. A good whey protein isolate will have 0-3g carb, no fat, 03g sugar and 25+ grams of protein ---

NOTE: If you're using the default diary settings for MFP - please change them. They tell you to eat 55% carb and 15% protein -- which is completely ridiculous and pretty much opposite what works best for most - especially insulin resistant. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% bat -- which still give you plenty of room for GOOD carbs without going all freaky ketosis range.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    HI im diabetic and was recently taken off Metformin because I have been controlling it with diet and exercise.. add me if you'd like.
    I'd like to look at your diary if you're willing to open it up.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Diabtes a couple of years ago and now I am no longer diabetic, nor am I even close to boarder line.

I read a book called the 30-Diabletes Miracle Cure, it is very informative even if you do not want to be on a plant based diet, over 20 years of reasearch went into this.

Also, do you keep a log of your blood sugar levels before and after meals? This was key for me to see what my body liked and did not like. Some foods that were deemed Diabetic safe, would cause me to spike in my levels.

If you do check out the 30-Day Miracle cure, and if you are on Meds, I highly recommend that you let your Doctor know about it and send them the paper the work that the Dr's who wrote the book reccommend. This does work.

By following the eating (changed the type of carbs i was eating, and I am vegan anyway it was easy), and the excercise is wonderful
    if you don't want to follow the diet, it gives a great explanation of what your body is doing when the sugar levels go higher and what brings it down.

Good luck, and I hope you can get it under control and get rid of the meds.

I am happy to report that my fasting blood sugar now averages at 90, sometimes less.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, or not.. depends on your view, I no longer take meds, my A1C has been around 5 or lower for more than a year. my doctor and I atribute it to mostly exercise, I do a lot of weight lifting and because of the lifting I drink Whey protien.

There is no magic cure, but it can be done. I didn't follow the diet, i couldn't. However i followed the genral guidelines and ate lots of fresh fruit, which while hi in sugar, is high in good sugars and had a great effect on my bloodsugar. I know type 1 can't eat a lot of fresh fruit, but the studies done on type 2 have shown it to stabalize and help.

Talk with your doctor. Discuss what it is your struggling with. Try removing 1 thing and maybe adding 1 thing at a time from your regular diet and noting your sugars, take your readings before and after meals for at least a week, look for patterns. I also ate more mini meals, to try and keep it from spiking around.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!