First Half Marathon in less than 2 hours!

Options
SERinDC
SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
On Saturday I completed my first half marathon ever-- the longest distance I have ever run in 1:59:24-- at a 9:07min/mile pace.

I'd like to share what I did to get faster, train and lose weight along the way in case it is helpful to others. January 2011, my boyfriend and I bought new running shoes. I could maybe run 20 minutes continuously (just maybe) at a 12min/mile pace. Then, February 2011 we both decided to join a triathlon club. This involved running, spinning, and swimming each at least once a week for an hour. I continued with the tri program through June when it ended and trained a little here and there over the summer. In the fall of 2011, I became more serious about running and started going out at least twice a week.

By the time December 2011 rolled around I had lost about 10 pounds and was ready for more of a challenge. I signed up for the half marathon and decided to begin training. I ran at least 3-5 times per week and loosely followed a Runner's World guide for beginners. I added some strength training (1-2 times per week) and continued to cross train with swimming and the occasional 30 Day Shred.

HOW I GOT FASTER December 2011 - March 2012:

1. Run with people who are faster than you! This is the ultimate way to push yourself to go faster and harder in each workout. Being part of the triathlon club was key because running in a group allows you to push harder

2. Train on hills and with hill intervals. I could not believe how fast I zoomed by people on the hills in the race. This really surprised me.

3. No matter how fast you think you can go, you can usually go even faster than that. If you continually push yourself to increase speed, it will happen

4. Strength training really helped-- especially working on my arms and core. I think that made a huge difference in my running ability.

5. I think losing weight actually makes you faster. Sounds crazy, but makes sense. Less weight to support and carry through the miles!

LESSONS LEARNED and Areas of Improvement for the Next Half Marathon:

1. Do more interval training-- I stayed away from doing speed work (beyond hill intervals), but that would really help get faster

2. Run the full 13.1 miles before the race. The farthest I ran before the race was 11.5 miles which really was not smart. I know some guides say you don't have to run the full 13.1 to be able to complete the half (which is true), but then the last few miles feel like hell. I was pacing 8:40min/mile for the first 6 miles, but my pace was so much slower in the end because the last 3 miles felt like the hardest, slowest miles I've ever run. Next time, I would do several 10+ mile training runs.

3. Wear what you're going to wear race day for a very, very long run in advance. The shorts I wore in the end were a little uncomfortable by the time I reached mile 10-- would have like to know that in advance.

4. Train for the weather of the race. This was hard for me. The previous weeks the weather was mostly 50s, but then race day was very sunny and 60s. While running it felt like I was burning up and in constant need of water. Thankfully I brought a water bottle with me, but doing more runs to practice in warmer weather would have been ideal.

5. Know the course. This was SO helpful to run in my own city on streets I always run on and know when the hills were coming. Had I not known the streets/elevation/course in advance, I think I would have had a lot of trouble (b/c the hills hit you out of nowhere and last at least 3 miles of incline).

6. Don't start out too fast! If I had started just a tad slower in the beginning, maybe I would have had more steam in the last 2-3 miles.

7. Get a reliable watch. My watch stopped worked 91 minutes into the race-- eeeeek! That threw me for a loop, but had to keep on chugging along.

**The race I ran was part of the Rock 'N Roll Marathon Series. Even though those races are more expensive than most, I found it to be extremely well organized and fun, so I would recommend seeking out one of those near you (they sell out fast)! Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is new to running or wants a few tips. I'm no expert, but these are just some things that I learned along the way. I'm doing a 10 mile race in two weeks, so I plan to implement some of my own advice for the next race!

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Congrats on your first half marathon!

Karen
  • SERinDC
    Options
    Thanks so much :)
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! Thanks for sharing your experience and tips.

I definitely agree with the recommendation to test out the course. I ran a 4-miler a few weeks ago, and though I knew there was a hill thanks to elevation maps I'd reviewed beforehand, I didn't realize it was a two-fer hill that was a LOT steeper than I thought! I wound up burning out after the first hill and had to walk on the second (bummer!).

Congrats on your first half-- what an inspiration!
  • SERinDC
    Options
    Thanks :) Yeah, unexpected hills are a big pace killer! It is so helpful to really prep for them and know they're coming. Unexpected hills in a race are never fun. I'm very excited that my race in 2 weeks is 100% flat!! That's one way to prepare -- avoid them entirely LOL.
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for all of the advice-- I'm training for my first half marathon on May 6th!
  • SERinDC
    Options
    Cool! Good luck on your May 6th race! I had so much fun I'm considering signing up for another one in May :) Beware: half marathons may be addictive haha
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips! I need to find a faster running partner, my current one runs the exact same pace as me which is nice but doesn't encourage me to go faster. And I had been wondering if I was overdoing it on my long runs, I am doing several 10, 11, and 12 prior to the race but I am glad to see I'm not! Thanks!
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    A coworker (who regularly runs long distance races) just last week invited me to train for a halfer in April of 2013. I've only ever walked/ran two 5ks, so it should be interesting to see if I can train effectively for it.
    Any tips? I'm a novice. :D
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! thank you so much for sharing your story! I just ran my first 5K & so excited about it! I didn't even train, but I did run the 3.1 miles last Tues before the 5K Sat. Im so happy just for finishing & running the entire time. I have been taking cycling classes since October so I bet that really helped me!
    You must feel really great, a half marathon YAY. Do you ever plan on going further for a Marathon?
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's amazing time! Thanks for the tips!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you THANK YOU! i'm running my first half marathon on sunday! 3 miles straight of it is uphill too! i'm definitely saving this post to look at again and a again to help w my speed for the next one. feel free to send some more tips for this weekend too!
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this helpful and very inspiring story! I'm 52, and am quite new to running - I've never run, even when I was a teen. I regret the choice of being sedentary, and have finally discovered the benefit of being active.

I started running on a track in November, and want to run a 5K this spring... as a challenge from my daughter. All advice that you've given ring true, especially running the course (and hills), and starting slow - this is my problem, I panic and run too fast "out of the chute".

MeganSWoods - you are amazing! I'm so impressed with what you've accomplished (losing all of that weight), and your future goal of the tackling a half-marathon... you too are very, very inspiring!! As I lose weight, gain strength & "durability", I too hope to try-out running in a half-marathon, perhaps next spring.

Good luck to you folks - and thanks again for today's inspirational success story!!!

Thank you all for sharing - I'm gonna run this afternoon feeling refreshed and inspired!
  • SERinDC
    Options
    A coworker (who regularly runs long distance races) just last week invited me to train for a halfer in April of 2013. I've only ever walked/ran two 5ks, so it should be interesting to see if I can train effectively for it.
    Any tips? I'm a novice. :D

Most training plans run about 3 months long and require/recommend that you can run 5 miles easily before embarking. So, I'd say focus first on getting to 5 miles and feeling comfortable there before moving on to training for the whole race. To get to 5 miles of straight running, try increasing how much you can run in one outing (without walking) by 1/2 mile each week until you get to 5 (repeat a distance on any given week if it feels too hard to get to 1/2 farther the next week). Also, not sure how much you run now, but if you increase your runs to 3 times per week that helps a lot with building endurance. Adding in some intervals on the treadmill might help too.
  • SERinDC
    Options
    AWESOME!!! thank you so much for sharing your story! I just ran my first 5K & so excited about it! I didn't even train, but I did run the 3.1 miles last Tues before the 5K Sat. Im so happy just for finishing & running the entire time. I have been taking cycling classes since October so I bet that really helped me!
    You must feel really great, a half marathon YAY. Do you ever plan on going further for a Marathon?

Congrats on your 5K! That's so exciting. Racing at any distance is so inspiring and fun :) Great confidence booster to cross the finish!

Not sure about a marathon-- haha feel like I need a few half marathons under my belt before leaping into that. I would consider a half ironman though... (it's like crazy swimming, followed by crazy biking, followed by a half marathon)......haha, don't quote me on that!
  • SERinDC
    Options
    Thank you thank you THANK YOU! i'm running my first half marathon on sunday! 3 miles straight of it is uphill too! i'm definitely saving this post to look at again and a again to help w my speed for the next one. feel free to send some more tips for this weekend too!

Wow-- good luck on your race this weekend! I completely racked my brain for all potential tips and dumped them into this post, so can't think of any others on the top of my head right now. If you have any questions before your race, feel free to message me! Who knows, maybe I could be helpful!

Best of luck!!
  • bdaves
    bdaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a stellar time! Congratulations! Getting ready for my 2nd half this weekend, can't wait.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    wow!!! that's awesome! Running is actually my ultimate goal. Hopefully the next 5K that comes around will give me the exposure I need to start my journey to running at least a half marathon.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Bump (so I can print this out for my own half training). Thanks and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Grats Running is my Primary excercise Love it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!