Toning & working out.. not sure how much to eat.

Hey. :)

So I'm 5'6'', about 127 lbs.

I know those stats sound good and all, but I'm not very toned. My body fat % is over 25 and I'm looking to get it below 20 at least! I'm thinking beach body, toning, strength kind of body.

But what should I eat? And how much of it? I know there are some expert body builders here, I would love to have some input and guidance from you. I haven't logged in a while, starting up again today. Before on MFP my allotted calories were 1200 before exercise, which isn't much. I think I would prefer a little more than that.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Replies

• JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Here are some "before and after" pics I guess.

A good few years ago:
    123_2355com.jpg

A month ago:
    IMG_0420-1.jpg?t=1332145098
  • JulieH3art
    Bumping this before uni in the hopes that someone will see & help me :)
  • JulieH3art
    Bump!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Here's a good starting place:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

See Katsch-McArdle. Also read the recs for macronutrients.

You will absolutely want to add weightlifting to your program if you haven't already.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Your body fat doesn't look that high to me, I am 25% now, apparently and I look way less "toned" than you. You are gorgeous.

I have started Chalean Extreme, a home lifting programme, as a first step to weightlifting and it is going great, my strength is improving and I am really motivated by the programme. Perhaps give that a try.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    i joined a group on here about eating more because our bodies are in starvation mode so we can nourish our bodies during workouts .... on there the women lift alot more it seems so i am going to try that i am 27 yo 132 5' 2 1/2' GW 130 UG 127 I really wanna be lean and tone as well
  • JulieH3art
    Here's a good starting place:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

See Katsch-McArdle. Also read the recs for macronutrients.

You will absolutely want to add weightlifting to your program if you haven't already.

Thank you! I'll check that out. I lift twice a week currently, and one program I'm in lifts every sunday really super hard. I can flex for the first time in my life after just doing it for 3 weeks - it's pretty cool!:)

LisaSmuts: Been thinking about those home lifting programmes a lot! I want to do either Insanity or ChaLean Extreme over the summer.. I'm a student, and during summer I am home for almost 3 months with no gym membership, so it's perfect for that time period!

giag09, I've never been toned! I want to be so badly. Don't be fooled by the current picture - those are just shadows, I don't have abs in any way shape or form!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    how was your BF% measured? scale? calipers? BIA?

You do NOT look 25% to me. It's got to be less!
  • JulieH3art
    It was measured by my gym's scale. It feels accurate to me, it really does.
  • Smuterella
    Those scales are notoriously inaccurate. You definitely have some abs in that pic, the shadows wouldn't fall in the exact right place. I'd say you might be about 20-22% - you lucky thing!

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Don't do yourself down, you look amazing. I reckon some heavy lifting and you will be where you want in no time. Try the eat more to weigh less group too. Really useful.
  • JulieH3art
    Where can I find this group?=) I'm only at 1200-ish today, and now it's late and I feel like I've missed my "window".

I still have no idea how much I should eat. :/
  • Smuterella
    Here is a great post to help you decide what to eat. It should link you to the group. :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr