What's worked for you?

Options
tansyf
tansyf Posts: 66 Member
Hi all,

from your personal experience, what do you think is the best exercise to achieve weight loss / fat burn? Thank you in advance xx

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eating less. Weight loss happens with your diet, not with exercise.

Eat right to lose weight.
    Lift to look good.

But to answer your question directly, squats, deadlifts, bench press and pull-ups all get my vote for best exercise.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Combo of lifting weights and cardio with a well balanced diet.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Focusing on a calorie net of 1200-1350 + c25k and the Firm dvds.
  • ImaKnitter67
    Options
    Ditto what Nelski said.
  • mick_02
    mick_02 Posts: 27
    Options
    What worked for me was running a lot and I stopped eating junk food and fast food.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred...I LOVE it. I am on my 2nd day of level 3 and I have mixed emotions about that. I started this site and started dieting and walking an hr. 5 nights a week for a month or so lost a couple pounds, an inch here or there...but when I started the 30DS it really made a difference. Next Ripped in 30 =)
  • Rivannarow
    Options
    The ergometer (rowing machine) offers a total body routine while incorporating cardio. I find that 20 minutes following a lift does a great job to up the heart rate.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Combo of lifting weights and cardio with a well balanced diet.
    ^^^ This worked for me. I weight train three days and the rest is high intense cardio at least five times a week. I eat healthy 65% of the time, weekends are my whatever and I have learned to live with that happily.:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Running. It's not my favorite exercise, but nothing takes the fat off me like running does.
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Eating right (and less) and exercising. Walking at a medium/faster pace for at least thirty minutes with improve your metabolism (because you're moving) but won't bulk up your leg muscles if you don't want that, in addition to jacksonpt's advice.

To be honest, it's not what you do that matters, it's that you do SOMETHING. Figure out what you like exercise-wise and if you enjoy it, you'll want to do it, be it bike riding, walking, running, a machine at a gym, whatever.

For me, I started with walks and bike rides while eating right (and less) and built it up from there. Now I lift weights in addition to using other cardio machines and routines. It really is a personal commitment to health.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cardio has no direct impact on weight loss. It increases the number of cals you can eat and still be in a deficit, so if you're diet isn't in check it can give you some much needed leeway, but ultimately the deficit is what loses weight.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Finding stuff that you love to do often. There are alot of ways to do cardio and strength training and both will help with weight loss, but everyone has different preferences. Just keep trying stuff until you find things that make you happy.

With that said, I like Zumba class, walking/jogging, Kinect games (mainly dancing), elliptical, and free weights.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

from your personal experience, what do you think is the best exercise to achieve weight loss / fat burn? Thank you in advance xx

The best exercise is one that you enjoy doing and are likely to stick with. I know it sounds trite but if you hate running (and I love running) but like walking then walk; biking, swimming, rowing are all great exercises too.

I also lift weights, it's a little tedious but I love the way my body feels after a good workout.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do.... Mon. & Wed. for 20 mins. I work out on weight machines (mostly upper body/some leg stuff too) and do crunches. Tues and Thurs I walk for 20 mins. (I do all of these while on my lunch break) Friday I rest. I walk/jog on Sat. and Sun. for a total of about 5-9 miles...this past Sat. I did 3 miles then did 6 on Sunday.
    I am following a 1200 calorie diet and I do eat more on workout days. If I have extra time on weekday evenings I will get in a little more walking/jogging. Also...I spike on Friday (allow myself a few more calories....sometimes up to 2000.) I weigh in on Friday mornings.
    This has worked for me thus far. I have lost 27 lbs since Jan. 1, 2012. Everyone has to find what works for them. I am part of a wellness program at my job and the nutritionist says I am losing weight correctly. My fat % is going down and my lean muscle % went way up :)
    I know you didn't ask for all of this info...just thought I'd share ;)