DON'T blame it on the birth control!

Options

Replies

• jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Um. Those pics started a month ago? >.>

I lost on the shot, too, but that doesn't mean everyone can.
  • mommytomyah
    mommytomyah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LIKE!!!!!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Great job!!

I was going to post something similar regarding women blaming PCOS in this way too. Irritates me beyond belief!!
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    That's great that you had a wonderful experience, but not everyone does.

I actually ate less while on the shot for two years, and gained 40 pounds. And yes, I did keep track of my food. I was vegetarian at the time and wanted to make sure I was getting what I needed.

Of course, I did have underlying conditions, but it isn't uncommon for BC to have an ill effect on certain people's body chemistry like that.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Medical conditions can make it hard to lose and easier to gain but calories in and out are always the cause of weight gain or loss. You can eat 1400 a day before the shot and 1400 a day after you start it and the reason you gain is because of hormonal or metabolism changes.

I've lost about 50lbs since being put ON birth control pills and being dianosed with PCOS. Weight loss is always possible through diet and exercise!

OP: Fantasic work!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 16 lbs and Ive been on the shot as well. (Dont pay attention to my ticker, I reset it lol)
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yeah you are right because i lost 40 pounds while on birth control and after having a baby, BUT i just started a new pill two months now and instead of losing i am gaining.... I am not happy about this
  • Leafeh
    Leafeh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it is an excuse but I've noticed that when I was on my birthcontroll I didn't have that much selfcontroll, since that I always wanted to have something to eat.
    now that I've quit I'm fine again and can easily track. I don't have as many "cheats"
    and the problem with me on birthcontroll is that when I'm not on it I lose and when I'm on it I gain. I think it is just a matter of individuality, some get affected by the side-effects more easily than others. I mean some even get less appetite by being on the pill though the majority gets more appetite compared to before.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Wowie!

I'd like to add that gaining weight on a drug that commonly makes people gain is an excuse. It's harder to lose, but not impossible. You have to make the choice to not let it stop you!

Oh, and having a thyroid problem is also any excuse. I lost weight before I was diagnosed, and continued to lose after!

*Edit - I'm not saying they DON'T cause weight gain, but you can choose to minimize it by the choices you make. You are changing your body chemistry using them, you have to make changes to counteract that!

As a person who continued to gain weight even AFTER my hypothyroidism was diagnosed and supposedly "corrected" with Synthroid, I'm not using it as an EXCUSE. BUT, that being said, it is a fact that hypothyroidism causes a lower metabolism, making it that much more difficult to lose weight. I had to additionally be put on metformin (though I am not diabetic) and workout at LEAST 3 times a week to start seeing any results. This from a person, who BEFORE being diagnosed with thyroid disease, had always, as an adult maintained my weight with a 10 lb range at most. (BTW, at my highest weight while dealing with all of this, I was about 40 lbs heavier than I had been in my entire abdult life other than during pregnancies.) So, no it isn't an excuse as far as meaning there's nothing you can do about it. But it does make it significantly more difficult to lose.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey I had asked several people if it was possible to lose weight while on the Depo Vera birth control. I gt an OVERWHELMING amount of negative responses. So many woman said they gained weight due to use of birth control. Several others also claimed they couldn't lose any until they stopped! Well, I'm here to tell you that is NOT always the case. Although i may contribute my larger appetite to DV, tracking my calories and working out more made me drop the weight I had gained like crazy. AND FAST! I've lost nearly 30 lbs already. So remember, DON'T use your birth control as an excuse!

Absolutely!! I was on Depo for 10 years and lost almost 25 pounds while on it, and rather quickly and easily. Birth control does not "make you fat." YOU control what you put in your mouth. YOU control your exercise level. You claim it makes your hungry? Eat more protein. Make your calories count. FOOD makes you fat, not Depo Provera.

I did not gain weight because of the Depo and I was able to lose it while still on it. I hate hearing women complain saying their BC "made them gain weight." No, it didn't. What you put in your mouth made you gain weight. I ate too many swiss cake rolls and potato chips and I put on 30 pounds. Cant blame Depo for that!
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great!
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I was on the IUD (Paraguard) and despite the claims that it is non-hormonal and does not cause weight gain I am certain that it most certainly did! After suffering for 5 years with low-energy (practically lethargic), increased belly fat, cystic acne (none prior to using this method of BC) and constantly feeling ill, I decided to do some research on my own. I encountered several blogs with many women suffering from the same symptoms all as a result of the IUD, it seems that the Paraguard causes a reaction in those who are sensitive to copper and can cause all of the above symptoms and many more(something the Drs do not tell you). After coming off of it for the past yr., my energy level has improved markedly, the bloating in my stomach area has been reduced significantly and I am no longer experiencing breakouts. I implore any woman contemplating any form of birth control to do independant research to make an informed decision. And once you do make a decision, listen to your body and stop the method if you notice anything out of the ordinary. There is no one size fits all when it comes to birth control even if others do not have any adverse symptoms, you never know how it will affect you personally.
  • iamfranniefierce
    Options
    I was on the IUD (Paraguard) and despite the claims that it is non-hormonal and does not cause weight gain I am certain that it most certainly did! After suffering for 5 years with low-energy (practically lethargic), increased belly fat, cystic acne (none prior to using this method of BC) and constantly feeling ill, I decided to do some research on my own. I encountered several blogs with many women suffering from the same symptoms all as a result of the IUD, it seems that the Paraguard causes a reaction in those who are sensitive to copper and can cause all of the above symptoms and many more(something the Drs do not tell you). After coming off of it for the past yr., my energy level has improved markedly, the bloating in my stomach area has been reduced significantly and I am no longer experiencing breakouts. I implore any woman contemplating any form of birth control to do independant research to make an informed decision. And once you do make a decision, listen to your body and stop the method if you notice anything out of the ordinary. There is no one size fits all when it comes to birth control even if others do not have any adverse symptoms, you never know how it will affect you personally.

The symptoms I had were attributed to a condition called copper toxicity, which led to everything from increased cravings for chocolate and other high-copper foods and slower metabolism...both which can contribute to weight gain. Read this article for yourself. http://www.nutritional-solutions.com/asp/copper.asp
  • fbmandy55
    Options

Have you been checked for PCOS?
  • iamfranniefierce
    Options

I was tested for everything including hypo-thyroidism...all negative. Blood and urine tests were conclusive with copper toxicity.

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50lbs since being put ON birth control pills and being dianosed with PCOS. Weight loss is always possible through diet and exercise!

Awesome job!! I lost 110# being on the pill, prior to being diagnosed with PCOS (hadn't started TTC yet so it was never of concern). It IS possible!! Love hearing success from others!!
  • fbmandy55
    Options

I was tested for everything including hypo-thyroidism...all negative. Blood and urine tests were conclusive with copper toxicity.

Ah, well I sent you a PM with my Cystic ance story and solution. Will have to look at the copper toxicity thing... :smile:
  • iamfranniefierce
    Options

Ah, well I sent you a PM with my Cystic ance story and solution. Will have to look at the copper toxicity thing... :smile:

Thanks hun : )
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wowie!

I'd like to add that gaining weight on a drug that commonly makes people gain is an excuse. It's harder to lose, but not impossible. You have to make the choice to not let it stop you!

Oh, and having a thyroid problem is also any excuse. I lost weight before I was diagnosed, and continued to lose after!

*Edit - I'm not saying they DON'T cause weight gain, but you can choose to minimize it by the choices you make. You are changing your body chemistry using them, you have to make changes to counteract that!

OK, so I eat very healthy, count calories and burn off 500-1,000 calories each day, bu since I got my IUD, I gained 20 pounds and it WILL NOT come off, no matter what I do.

So, please, tell me what I should do differently since you know my body better than I do.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You are correct that it is not ALWAYS the case, but it often IS the case. I'm happy for you that you were able to lose with Depo (though the bone loss, breast lumps and early menopause -- among other horrors -- it can also cause are much worse side effects than weight gain ...), but I know a lot of people who couldn't lose with it no matter what they did.

I have a Mirena IUD, which has the same hormone as Depo. I was on the pill before that. While on the pill, I managed to lose 34 pounds pretty effortlessly and kept it off for years. The MONTH I got the IUD, even though I continued exercising and eating healthy, I started gaining weight. I got serious about losing again and continued gaining and no matter what I do, no matter how much or little I eat, no matter how much or little I exercise, the weight I regained won't come off. And, no, I'm not at a healthy weight for my height.

^^^^^ Same thing happened when I went on Mirena...NEVER had a weight problem in my whole life, and had never used bc before. it took a year, awful mood swings, an insatiable appetite and 20 pounds before I had it removed. Definitely didn't use bc s an excuse but it certainly messed up my body's metabolism.

I don't even have that much of an appetite. I seriously did nothing differently and was already living a very healthy lifestyle. I'd lost 34 pounds and kept it off.

Thankfully, this thing doesn't mess with my moods. But the weight thing is beyond irritating.
This discussion has been closed.