CURVES

I am thinking about joining CURVES. But I would like to know if it is worth it. Right now, I do not go to the gym. I have an elliptical and I walk, do Wii Zumba 2, and 30DS. What do you all think? Is it worth the money? Does it work?

Replies

• Just do your workouts at home. Its not worth the money honestly. Youtube.com has a bunch of different workouts if you get bored. Just stick to the cardio to shred off weight, its one of those things if you want it, You HAVE to do it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    If you try it and like it and keep going because you're enjoying it, then sure, probably worth it. They're pretty good at what they do there, from what I've heard. I don't like their "political" bent, so they get no money from me, but it might suit you. Try it and see!
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    I LOVE Curves. It is great not only for the strength training but for the support. We have a fantastic time at the Curves I go to talking and chatting. Sometimes you don't even realize how much time has passed and how many times you have gone around the circuit. I am down 24 pounds in 50 days and I have had 3 weeks where I have not been able to go at all due to knee problems.
  • I joined Curves and did not lose any signficant weight or inches. The machines at Curves are not weight resistance machines - which provide faster results and I believe have a better health benefit. I joined the local park district fitness center which was a significant savings over Curves and I have access to wider array of machines - both weight resistance and cardio.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    A while back I tried their free two week trial. I enjoyed it enough. They will take your measurements for you. If you want something with more structure it might be worth it for you. However, I prefer my dvd's at home. Good luck to you.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    How much will it cost you? The Curves near where I am is $40 a month, and as best I can tell the circuit is pretty standard, aka one you could do at a planet fitness for a quarter of the price (and you'd have a lot more variety).

But some people go for the community, so if that's up your alley it might be worth it. I think you can a free week pass on their website, maybe try it out for a week first?
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    It sounds like you have everything you need to get good workouts in. I have never been to a gym and cant see myself spending the money personally. If it is a matter of too many interuptions at home, then maybe it would be worth it to carve out the time and go to get your work out in at the gym, but otherwise I think you can do it at home. Maybe get a new dvd to change it up and do some walk run intervals. Running is what really shed the weight for me, and that is basically free. good luck
  • darla100
    darla100 Posts: 134 Member
    :happy: If your looking to get out of the house then it is a great thing. I went to Curves for a few years, yes, I loved it and it worked to help keep me tone, plus I did lose some weight. BUT, it looks like your doing everything you really need to..with Zumba your getting cardio..30DS weights and much more, walking, so I personally wouldn't spend the money. I don't have any machines at home, or weights, but I walk and I joined the YMCA for the cardio aspect...just my opinion...
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    I did Curves for about six months a couple of years ago. And even though I was following the diet as well, I didn't notice a difference in my weight or muscle definition etc. The bigest problem for me, I think, was that the workouts were so tough that I didn't have the energy to do extra cardio etc. I think that you could get the same results at home if you find a workout dvd that you liked.

And I have to say that I didn't like the atmosphere there, they would share your weight and how much you had lost with anyone at the room at the time... it made it so I didn't want to go anymore.
  • My sister goes to Curves and she loves it. I belong to LA Fitness and do Jazzercise. Can you get a free session to try it? All exercise works, you just need to find what you enjoy doing. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    I think it depends on what you are expecting to get out of it, honestly.
    I have gone to Curves before - I lived in a rural area & it was the only option. I joined with a couple of friends, so that was nice.
    The workouts can be as easy or as hard as YOU make them. I got annoyed when I was a member b/c after a few weeks, 2x around the circuit wasn't cutting it for me. I wanted to either go around more or come back later in the day (after work) and do it again. I was told that was "frowned upon" (coming back later) by their corporate office. Seriously?
    That was kind of a turn off for me.
    I also personally thought they were overpriced, but, again, for me it was the only option within 30+ miles, so paying for that was still better than the extra gas / driving.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Ask to have a couple of complimentary passes, and then you can see if it's something that you may enjoy. I know many women who truly enjoyed going to Curves or places that are similar. Great for ladies who don't know what exercises to do, or don't have weights at home. (I believe they use hydraulic weight machines, though..??). They should have no problems letting you have at least one complimentary pass. If you feel this is for you, and it will motivate you more to work out...then why not? Or perhaps, see if you can get a one month membership to test it out.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    9 years ago, while doing WW and Curves, I lost 91 pounds and 51 inches. The only workout I did was Curves, so yes, it worked. Just like with losing weight, different things work for different people. I tried it again last year, and while I admit I did not give it 100% (I went 2 days instead of 3), I lost 1 inch in 3 months, so I canceled my membership.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    I used Curves to start my weight loss the mast time I lost 85+ pounds. I liked it and like others stated I had fun there working out and getting to know the ladies tgat went the same time I did. I lost weight, but what I found with me is I lost inches too, which was great. I didfind though that when my weight loss slowed I needed to change things ho and that's when I joined a gym and kick started my weight lies back up.

You have to do what works for you, but why pay for something when everything you are doing right now is free!!
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    I liked CURVES for the first month or so but then it became very monotonous. The "weights" are not adjustable so it is hard to really push yourself further once you begin to get stronger. It is fun but seems more geared toward the older crowd. See if you can get a temporary membership and see how you like it. If you didn't like going to the gym then working out at home might be a better option... Good luck!
  • Katiemay7
    Katiemay7 Posts: 1 Member
    I went back when they first opened here in Mt. Carmel and I didn't really like Curves. It was an older crowd, nothing wrong with that, but just no one to motivate me. I know I said I was going to join the gym, but that is because a lady here I work with wants to, but I always thought the time to really do it is in the winter when I don't want to get outside. Just my thoughts. I know changing things up is always good though. Good Luck girl!!