What to do with cabbage?

Options
rachelblank427
rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
I have a head of cabbage and need some ideas of what to do with it. Yeah I can boil it with onions and bacon but that's a little too boring for me. What do y'all do with cabbage? Give me some ideas!!!

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    spring rolls, egg rolls, coleslaw all I've got
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Slaw is good. I like to saute it in olive oil with hot pepper rings. It's good in stir fry.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had half a head left over that I needed to use up....I quartered it and threw it in the crock pot with about 4 potatoes that I chopped into about 2in pieces, sprayed it all with a little olive oil, dumped in a bunch of seasonings and left it on high for about 3hrs.....YUMMY!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    not low fat but delicious and worth exercising to eat:

Farfalle with Savoy cabbage, pancetta, thyme and mozzarella from Jamie Oliver's book "The Return of the Naked Chef" - serves 4.

10 rashers of pancetta or dry-cured streaky bacon, thinly sliced
    olive oil
    1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
    1 good handful of thyme, leaves picked
    1 large Savoy cabbage (outer leaves removed) quartered, cored and finely sliced
    1 handful of grated Parmesan cheese
    455gr/1 lb dried farfalle, the best you can get
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    extra virgin olive oil
    200gr / 7oz buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1cm / 1/2 inch dice
    2 handfuls of pine nuts, lighly toasted

In a pan fry your pancetta in a little olive oil until lightly golden. Add the garlic and thyme and soften. Add the Savoy cabbage and Parmesan, then stir and put the lid on the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes, shaking every now and again, while you cook your farfalle in salted boiling water until al dente. When the cabbage is nice and tender, season and loosen with some nice peppery extra virgin olive oil. Toss the drained farfalle into the cabbage and at the last minute mix in the mozzarella and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    baked eggrolls see my blog for the recipe :)
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ah!!! I JUST got an email from PCRM (Physicians Committed to Responsible Medicine) about a recipe for cabbage.

Steamed Cabbage Rolls:
    http://support.pcrm.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=59302.0&dlv_id=62265
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage rolls

Shredded cabbage, carrots & celery added to lime jello.

Sauerkraut
  • TammyG39
    TammyG39 Posts: 34
    Options
    The infamous Weight watchers, Zero Point Soup.. its sooooo good, and of course good for you. Its perfect to freeze in portion size containers, take to work, and its thawed out by lunchtime.

3 cups nonfat beef broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat vegetable broth (beef is the best) or 3 cups nonfat chicken broth (beef is the best)
    2 garlic cloves , minced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 cups chopped cabbage
    ½ yellow onion
    ½ cup chopped carrot
    ½ cup green beans
    ½ cup chopped zucchini
    ½ teaspoon basil
    ½ teaspoon oregano
    salt & pepper
    Directions:
    1Spray pot with non stick cooking spray saute onions carrots and garlic for 5 minutes.2Add broth, Tomato paste, cabbage, green beans, basil, oregano and Salt & Pepper to taste.3Simmer for a about 5-10 minutes until all vegetables are tender then add the zuccini and simmer for another 5 or so minutes.
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Kimchi! There are plenty of recipes on the internet. I would think you could use regular grocery store cabbage and not have to use napa cabbage. You also may wan to go easy on the spice.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Add it into an asian soup!

What I do:

Get a soup pot and throw in: frozen pre-cooked brown rice, frozen bell peppers and onions, cabbage, frozen broccoli, a little soy sauce with equal parts asian salad dressing (I think I use Newman's), stir all together and add chicken broth. The chicken broth can be just a little or a lot depending on how you like your soup. Sprinkle with green onion. Easy as pie.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of homemade sauerkraut.

I also like the warmed caraway cabbage with cranberries recipe from the Mayo Clinic/ William Sonoma cookbook... so good.

shred cabbage, a couple of carrots, onion, and a tart apple like granny smith.

sautee onion in olive oil, add cabbage, carrots, and apple.
    Throw in some caraway seeds, a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a couple of tablespoons of a sweetener to taste (I use maple syrup or honey), and a couple of handfuls of cranberries.

Let it cook until the cabbage starts to wilt.

Enjoy!

Sorry about the lack of measurements. I do my cooking by taste or by what I have available.
  • kellyhumphrey
    kellyhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of taco shells, or to make teriyaki chicken wraps! Nummers
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage rolls

Shredded cabbage, carrots & celery added to lime jello.

Sauerkraut

cabbage in lime jello! just add a little vinegar in place of some of the water, and you've got Perfection Salad. YUM!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    The NY Times on Wednesday had an article with three really great sounding cabbage recipes. I want to try them all!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/dining/cabbage-flexes-its-brawn-three-ways.html?scp=2&sq=cabbage&st=cse
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    my favorites are the buffalo egg rolls.. found the recipe on here.. also i brown up ground chicken and add salsa.. 3tsp salsa for every 4 oz. chicken.. then warm up 2 corn tortillas on a griddle or fry pan.. fill tortillas with chicken mixture, cabbage, greek yogut, cilantro and tomato... yummy chicken tacos.. and done in like 5 mins..
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I made this cole slaw today, very good.

http://www.food.com/recipe/low-cal-cabbage-coleslaw-74173